• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My PC is weak and I can't play in Netplay

PaoDeBatata24

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! I'm usually playing Melee. Everyday and all the day long. I was looking for an online match, so I joined AnthersLadder. I found some matches but I couldn't plya because my internet and my PC are weak (Well, I play on notebook). I live in Brazil, so you can expect what's my condition. Melee works fine but online, the game works laggy, like 20 FPS. I don't have friends to play with, so I'm alone with bots. Can someone help me with this problem?

teznadzn

Smash Rookie
You can't replace the video card as the guy suggested above because as you mentioned you are using a netbook. It would help if you listed the specifications of the netbook, such as the cpu and if it has a gpu. More than likely the problem lies in the netbook and it not having powerful enough components to play melee at an acceptable speed. Hopefully this helps.

PaoDeBatata24

Smash Rookie
You can't replace the video card as the guy suggested above because as you mentioned you are using a netbook. It would help if you listed the specifications of the netbook, such as the cpu and if it has a gpu. More than likely the problem lies in the netbook and it not having powerful enough components to play melee at an acceptable speed. Hopefully this helps.
Well, some specifications:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i4-4300U CPU @1.60 GHz 2.30 GHz

RAM: 6,00 GB (5,89 that I can use)

System Type: 64 bits

Version: 1607

Pauer

The Pauerful
Maybe you can run dolphin if you play around with your settings. Help for that can be found here.
Otherwise you will have to upgrade your hardware if you want to play netplay. But I've been able to run dolphin on less powerful hardware, at least benchmark-wise.

PaoDeBatata24

Smash Rookie
Maybe you can run dolphin if you play around with your settings. Help for that can be found here.
Otherwise you will have to upgrade your hardware if you want to play netplay. But I've been able to run dolphin on less powerful hardware, at least benchmark-wise.
I can run Dolphin with no problems. My laptop runs Brawl with no problems, but I can't play on netplay because I live in Brazil and people play usually in Mexico and USA. This PC is not mine, it's my brother's, so I can't change anything

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
I can run Dolphin with no problems. My laptop runs Brawl with no problems, but I can't play on netplay because I live in Brazil and people play usually in Mexico and USA. This PC is not mine, it's my brother's, so I can't change anything
That happens when your buffer is way off for the ping. I suggest you either get used to high buffer, find people who netplay semi close to you, or find people in real life, because otherwise I don't see much of a solution.

PaoDeBatata24

Smash Rookie
But I have few friends and they don't have this game, even know what is an emulator. I can't find anyone in my country on SmashLadder. Abou the ping problem, I tried to change the buffer but he problem isn't ping. Is the frame rate. 20 FPS!!!! Unplayabe!

Last edited:

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
But I have few friends and they don't have this game, even know what is an emulator. I can't find anyone in my country on SmashLadder. Abou the ping problem, I tried to change the buffer but he problem isn't ping. Is the frame rate. 20 FPS!!!! Unplayabe!
What ping do you normally get online?

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
If your ping is 400, that means you'd need to set your buffer to 50, assuming you're using the latest version of faster melee. Which means a lot of lag.

Ping isn't better the higher it is, because ping is like a timer showing how long it takes for a message to be sent to someone, then sent back.

Everytime you tell your opponent you're doing something, their computer gets it, and then it returns to you in 400 ms, or .4 seconds, which is why your buffer has to be so high. :/

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
Yeah man, unfortunately, theres nothing you can do. Getting a better PC is an option, but the chances are that you may not be able to afford it, neither can I so I know your pain.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
Yeah man, unfortunately, theres nothing you can do. Getting a better PC is an option, but the chances are that you may not be able to afford it, neither can I so I know your pain.
It's not even the computer, it's his wifi and location. :/

Top Bottom