• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Opinion on the current SSB4 Marth

Pugwest

Smash Apprentice
Hi, i'm Pugwest a Marth Main whom never posts but just lurks. This will be an entirely opinionated thread

I've mained and played Marth competitively during the Brawl scene so I shall give my current output on the way he feels.

His Tier List ranking (oh god the tiers)

He will most likely be at his weakest point out of all the smash series. Melee he was a beast, brawl he was top 10 and in this game we won't know until the list is announced. Prediction - Ranks between 9-13 out of the 50 characters.

Now for his B moves

Shield Breaker - Buffed, It has more "shield break" than before considering the new shields seem to have more damage soak. Plus it feels like one of his longest hitboxes.

Dolphin Slash - Nerfed, It lost start-up invincibility frames and it doesn't go as high as before. Even the custom move set provides another version that goes way higher.

Dancing blades - Super nerfed, You can perform the combo extremely quick when you don't hit a target but if you hit an enemy with dancing blades it become laggy? Like hit stuns for every hit. It's also much much easier to smash DI out of and isn't exactly safe to do at higher percents anymore.

Counter - Nerfed , Believe it or not its actually worst. You used to be capable of countering while falling down or towards a target. It appear that marth doesn't counter in the Air as well as he used too.

Speaking of Air, his air mobility game has become slower as well. He used to move very very swiftly in the air but if you guys haven't felt it then maybe i'm losing my mind. The Brawl/Melee marth had no problem quickly moving left and right in the air, but this one seems to have poor horizontal mobility.

His sword range seems to be slightly nerfed once again. Its noticeable for me since I had practiced months on perfecting spacing in Brawl just so Snake mains wouldn't punish my fairs.

The Tipper hitbox is also more "exact" than ever before but its more rewarding with the way knock back works now. The tip is literally the tip for once. I would say nerf however the increased damage / knockback is a buff to me.

Grabs? nerfed, you lost many free combos and even lost a lot of Fthrows - fair but gained Dthrow - uair. Grab range is also smaller but I think this is for every character in the game too.

Dthrow - imo nerfed. Its a personal nerf for me since in Brawl I would dthrow to throw opponents behind me, now why does that matter? I had really good synergy with my little brother (ZSS) and we used to execute dthrow - into Zss Bair or Zss Dsmash perfectly... now we gotta learn new combos XD

Fthrow - Its meh?

Bthrow - its meh?

Uthrow - Buffed , thing actually kills floaties around 120-130% even some mid weight characters.

Fsmash - range lowered

Dsmash - feels unchanged and is actually the best punish move in most situations now. Tipper easy to land and covers alot.

Usmash - well to be fair Brawl had this weird dis-jointed part so its balanced now.

Ftilt - really good now

dtilt - still does its job but feels like it can't be spammed

utilt - Doesn't connect with the back of marth so it lost its massive hitbox

Jab - Feel smoother.

Overall I feel like Marth has become a slow and calculated character. Slowly getting the damage in and building up enough percent while attempting to play safe pays off. Going for the chain-fairs or other combos he had before isn't worth the risk anymore. All in all, I dislike the new Marth but he is still my Main forever so may the Tiara be with you.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
I don't understand your reasoning behind saying his Counter is worse. He may not be able to hit with counter while directly above someone, but he can still negate the hit and perhaps secure a safe landing on an otherwise powerful (and laggy) move.

Last edited:

theleeryone

Smash Rookie
I don't understand your reasoning behind saying his Counter is worse. He may not be able to hit with counter while directly above someone, but he can still negate the hit and perhaps secure a safe landing on an otherwise powerful (and laggy) move.
From experience, Marth cannot always negate the hit, even if counter is triggered. I play against a Shulk main, and his usmash breaks through the counter and hits me anyway.

Nino Rybicki

Smash Cadet
I don't think he's weak. I've actually had an easy time with getting KOs with Marth. Then again, I use Marth more than any other character (about 40 percent of my play time is with Marth), so I might be a bit biased.

I think they made him not as strong because he's available from the start. In previous installments you had to unlock him.

TheVampirian

Smash Rookie
NNID
HandsomeRocker
Hi, i'm Pugwest a Marth Main whom never posts but just lurks. This will be an entirely opinionated thread

I've mained and played Marth competitively during the Brawl scene so I shall give my current output on the way he feels.

His Tier List ranking (oh god the tiers)

He will most likely be at his weakest point out of all the smash series. Melee he was a beast, brawl he was top 10 and in this game we won't know until the list is announced. Prediction - Ranks between 9-13 out of the 50 characters.

Now for his B moves

Shield Breaker - Buffed, It has more "shield break" than before considering the new shields seem to have more damage soak. Plus it feels like one of his longest hitboxes.

Dolphin Slash - Nerfed, It lost start-up invincibility frames and it doesn't go as high as before. Even the custom move set provides another version that goes way higher.

Dancing blades - Super nerfed, You can perform the combo extremely quick when you don't hit a target but if you hit an enemy with dancing blades it become laggy? Like hit stuns for every hit. It's also much much easier to smash DI out of and isn't exactly safe to do at higher percents anymore.

Counter - Nerfed , Believe it or not its actually worst. You used to be capable of countering while falling down or towards a target. It appear that marth doesn't counter in the Air as well as he used too.

Speaking of Air, his air mobility game has become slower as well. He used to move very very swiftly in the air but if you guys haven't felt it then maybe i'm losing my mind. The Brawl/Melee marth had no problem quickly moving left and right in the air, but this one seems to have poor horizontal mobility.

His sword range seems to be slightly nerfed once again. Its noticeable for me since I had practiced months on perfecting spacing in Brawl just so Snake mains wouldn't punish my fairs.

The Tipper hitbox is also more "exact" than ever before but its more rewarding with the way knock back works now. The tip is literally the tip for once. I would say nerf however the increased damage / knockback is a buff to me.

Grabs? nerfed, you lost many free combos and even lost a lot of Fthrows - fair but gained Dthrow - uair. Grab range is also smaller but I think this is for every character in the game too.

Dthrow - imo nerfed. Its a personal nerf for me since in Brawl I would dthrow to throw opponents behind me, now why does that matter? I had really good synergy with my little brother (ZSS) and we used to execute dthrow - into Zss Bair or Zss Dsmash perfectly... now we gotta learn new combos XD

Fthrow - Its meh?

Bthrow - its meh?

Uthrow - Buffed , thing actually kills floaties around 120-130% even some mid weight characters.

Fsmash - range lowered

Dsmash - feels unchanged and is actually the best punish move in most situations now. Tipper easy to land and covers alot.

Usmash - well to be fair Brawl had this weird dis-jointed part so its balanced now.

Ftilt - really good now

dtilt - still does its job but feels like it can't be spammed

utilt - Doesn't connect with the back of marth so it lost its massive hitbox

Jab - Feel smoother.

Overall I feel like Marth has become a slow and calculated character. Slowly getting the damage in and building up enough percent while attempting to play safe pays off. Going for the chain-fairs or other combos he had before isn't worth the risk anymore. All in all, I dislike the new Marth but he is still my Main forever so may the Tiara be with you.
I agree with you a %100. We're on the same boat.

ClumzyWumzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Clumzy
Wow I thought my game just glitched or something. While playing :4charizard: against my brother's :4marth: he recovered high so I up smashed him and he countered but I took his stock anyway. It happened twice. This is good to know >:)

TheVampirian

Smash Rookie
NNID
HandsomeRocker
Wow I thought my game just glitched or something. While playing :4charizard: against my brother's :4marth: he recovered high so I up smashed him and he countered but I took his stock anyway. It happened twice. This is good to know >:)
That's another reason why I quit Smash4 and got back into Melee.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I don't think he's weak. I've actually had an easy time with getting KOs with Marth. Then again, I use Marth more than any other character (about 40 percent of my play time is with Marth), so I might be a bit biased.

I think they made him not as strong because he's available from the start. In previous installments you had to unlock him.
Marth seems stronger in this game. Tipper kills at like 35% on the sides.

Graystripe

Smash Rookie
Seriously, what's up with Marth's dancing blade? It has always been super annoying trying finish the combo. Not even just with SSB4, in all of them you have to have weird timing sometimes. IF anyone's ever played SSF2, you may know that Marth's dancing blade works way better than it has in any official smash game. It's odd that Nintendo can't get that right, but a fan-made flash game made it work just fine.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Seriously, what's up with Marth's dancing blade? It has always been super annoying trying finish the combo. Not even just with SSB4, in all of them you have to have weird timing sometimes. IF anyone's ever played SSF2, you may know that Marth's dancing blade works way better than it has in any official smash game. It's odd that Nintendo can't get that right, but a fan-made flash game made it work just fine.
But Dancing Blade is broken in that game tho, lol.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Yes, Marth is a totally different beast in this iteration of Smash and possibly a weaker one at that. He still relies on gimps, but it's rather difficult to do anyway. You can definitely feel the nerfs as you play him. I'm aware that Marth was kind of OP in the past, but man, the nerfs do seem excessive to the point that even the buffs are minimal.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yes, Marth is a totally different beast in this iteration of Smash and possibly a weaker one at that. He still relies on gimps, but it's rather difficult to do anyway. You can definitely feel the nerfs as you play him. I'm aware that Marth was kind of OP in the past, but man, the nerfs do seem excessive to the point that even the buffs are minimal.
But his kill power tho.

He now relies on reads and predictions more than ever. Which, in this kind of Punish2Win kinda meta, might be really good.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Then again, I do remember KOing somebody around 50 percent. It's not all in vain, but the fact that Marth's up air can't hit from behind when it's clearly touching an opponent is rather disappointing and means that he could use a slight buff in range.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Then again, I do remember KOing somebody around 50 percent. It's not all in vain, but the fact that Marth's up air can't hit from behind when it's clearly touching an opponent is rather disappointing and means that he could use a slight buff in range.
You can KO at even 35% from the edge with a tipper fsmash

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I know, I was just making an estimate of the last tipper f-smash I landed since memory is pretty hazy.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I've pulled that off more than once, believe it or not. I even have a replay to prove it, I think!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I know, I was just making an estimate of the last tipper f-smash I landed since memory is pretty hazy.
It's not his range. The hitbox that hit behind him in Brawl and Melee was simply deleted from the games code by Nintendo. Him having a longer sword would not fix that.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
It's not his range. The hitbox that hit behind him in Brawl and Melee was simply deleted from the games code by Nintendo. Him having a longer sword would not fix that.
Oh. Really? But...why? That's rather unnecessary if you ask me. It's kind of the same thing with Shulk's nair, considering the back part of the arc doesn't hit either.

Last edited:

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
I agree with most of your points. I really miss the double Fair off of a short hop. :(
Marth doesn't have a double f-air off of a short-hop, but at higher percentages his f-air will true combo into itself against airborne opponents.

ItsKaden

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItsKadenn
I agree. I think that his counter has actually been buffed from before. In fact, you can even KO with counter. Especially on big characters like Bowser, Ganon etc...

Honor

Smash Apprentice
All counters have been buffered. Marth's counter in only better in the sense that ALL counters are better. As has been pointed out above the hitbox isn't as good and doesn't come out as fast.

Top Bottom