• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Opinion on the Brawl Rants

Sonicboom0075

Smash Rookie
I've been told on this site that there was a big rant on Brawl, saying it was the next Mario Party. I said, "Um, ok" the first time and left it alone. I've been reffered over and over again to the same subject. Now, I want to get my opinion out.

The main reason why people are complaining about Brawl is that they lost their "Advanced" techniques from Melee. Everyone is whining that they can't fall down fast enough, or it's easier to land hits, or they can't wavedash anymore. And nobody realized why they are that way. The reason why all of those "techniques" were removed, was because Sakurai saw those as glitches. Sakurai thought that people were abusing the game by using these glitches over and over. He thought that if nobody else knew about these glitches, the game wouldn't be fair, and there would be people ranting about how everyone is kicking their butts on wi-fi. The game was slowed down so some people can comprehend the chaos that was abrupting on-screen. If the game was moving too fast, then people would've ranted about how faster the game is paced and how nobody can make any hits with the increased speed.

All of those "Advanced" techniques? Yeah those things are GLITCHES. Sakurai never intended to be used in actual gameplay.

Now, i'm not a Melee hater or a Brawl lover, I love both Melee and Brawl very much. But if something on the internet pops up saying "OMG Smash was nerfed", it just ticks me off.

The game was not nerfed, it was improved in a way. All of the glitches that killed Melee were removed.

I'm not saying "Stop playing Melee" or "Melee is unfair", but what I am saying is: STOP WHINING and Melee "pros" are not pros, they are glitchers.

If you play Melee more than Brawl, good for you. Just don't try to convince someone to not buy Brawl because Melee is "better". If think that you are a pro at Melee just because you glitch, think again. The only REAL techniques are the easiest. No, wavedashing/shining are still not techniques. The only legit techs that I can think of right now are "Edgehogging" and Edge Protecting(which I think is when you prevent your enemy from returning to the edge).

If you are not trusting Nintendo anymore becuase of Brawl, never going to buy a Wii because Smash was soiled, or some other peice of crap, get a life. It's just a game, don't ruin it for other people. I dont' care if you like Melee better, just don't go running around saying "Don't buy Brawl! IT DON'T HAVE WAVESHINING!" because that isn't what Smash is about. Think about the 64 to Melee transition, it was a big change, but everyone accepted it in the end.

I'm not really the speaker, but my point is, get over it. Learn to accept changes.

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
Your argument is not necessarily correct. Every fighting game has "glitches;" Smash is just more glaring because they're more frequently used.

As for advanced techniques in general, Brawl uses a new physics engine. Wavedashing wasn't "taken out" per se, it took teh trashhammah along with the old Melee physics. Besides, people are discovering new advanced techniques for Brawl more and more.

Sonicboom0075

Smash Rookie
I'm saying that these "advanced techniques" are glitches, not actual techniques Sakurai included in the game. Which explains why it needs to be discovered.

What troubles me, is that people think their good at Smash because they use these techniques.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
I know you're trying to do a good thing here, but really you're just being bossy. If people hate brawl, they should be allowed to state so.

But don't tell people to get a life just because they don't agree with you.

People hate brawl because of the differences to melee, that's ok. You hate people who hate brawl because you don't agree with their opinions, that's not so ok

All that being said, I do like brawl, just as I like melee and 64

Sonicboom0075

Smash Rookie
I know you're trying to do a good thing here, but really you're just being bossy. If people hate brawl, they should be allowed to state so.

But don't tell people to get a life just because they don't agree with you.

People hate brawl because of the differences to melee, that's ok. You hate people who hate brawl because you don't agree with their opinions, that's not so ok

All that being said, I do like brawl, just as I like melee and 64
Well, that's how I am. I just get tired looking at posts that rant about how Brawl sucks. I don't hate, I strongly dislike. I hate the reason why people don't like Brawl. It's annoying looking at posts that say "Why can't I wavedash anymore? Brawl sucks because of this!". I don't care about any other reasons. If they just simply don't like it, it's fine with me.

Your whole post is filled with irony.
I don't know why, but I agree with you.

Ciel~Image

Smash Apprentice
You probably should have read Scar's thread on Melee vs. Brawl before posting this. :(

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's how I am. I just get tired looking at posts that rant about how Brawl sucks. I don't hate, I strongly dislike. I hate the reason why people don't like Brawl. It's annoying looking at posts that say "Why can't I wavedash anymore? Brawl sucks because of this!". I don't care about any other reasons. If they just simply don't like it, it's fine with me.
First of all, thats an over exaggeration of what some people were trying to say. Second, a lot of new players don't seem to understand why advanced techs made Melee as good as it was, and they probably never will, unless they actually go back and try playing Melee technically.

The newer players need to realize that they don't really have the experience to criticize a lot of the veteran players' opinions, and think about why people have such criticisms instead of trying to impose their own opinions if they conflict.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
First of all, thats an over exaggeration of what some people were trying to say. Second, a lot of new players don't seem to understand why advanced techs made Melee as good as it was, and they probably never will, unless they actually go back and try playing Melee technically.

The newer players need to realize that they don't really have the experience to criticize a lot of the veteran players' opinions, and think about why people have such criticisms instead of trying to impose their own opinions if they conflict.
Oh no, you have it all wrong. Anyone can criticize, regardless of skill level. we need to keep an open mind and explore all possible options and opinions. then you can listen to what they have to say and think about if it has any truth to it.

I see and relate to both sides of the argument: on the one hand, melee is a matured game, it's metagame is pretty much fully developed and people who are good at it are really comfortable with it. on the other hand, brawl is a new game full of untaped potential yet people are seeming to shy away from it to favor something more familiar.

Both sides of the argument are valid and can be made regardless of experience. they should also be considered by both parties

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Well, I have to say that the ATs in Melee ticked me off too. However, if some people want to be immature about something that wasn't originally supposed to be in Melee being taken out in Brawl, they can.

I agree with you that the reason is stupid for hating it, but hey. It's there loss.

th0rn

Smash Lord
Maybe you're the one who needs to get over the fact that the game is indeed a shallow, simple-minded, kids party game.

BioGhost

Smash Rookie
Wavedashing, Dash-Dancing, L-Canceling, SHFFLing, Powershielding, Chaingrabbing, etc. None of those are glitches; they are all physics exploitations. A glitch is a programming error that goes unnoticed before a game is released, and therefore is not removed. A physics exploitation is using the game's physics to your advantages. Advanced Techniques are almost never glitches, they are simply ways of using the physics of the game to give yourself an advantage.

King-Yoshi

Smash Rookie
People don't like Brawl because they can't pick 1 or 2 characters and completely own with them and have exploits that other character's don't have like chain grabs or easy wavedashing. 3/4 of the roster in Melee sucked for competitive play and even if you were the best with a character who was considered "low or mid tier", you would still lose to the "top tier" characters who had unfair exploitation moves. Now that the game has been balanced, people are gonna moan and complain because they can't own all the noobs their first time playing the game.

Things that will matter now are timing, placement, and pacing. Not saying those didn't matter in Melee, but a lot of that was at the expense of the character's skill level or moveset. Everyone has a good moveset now.

Top Bottom