• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My mom won't support Smash in my life.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Do you play music or just listen to it? Generally a more productive hobby than honing your skills in a video game. Both of those kind of pursuits I genuinely enjoy.

Listen to the voices in this thread. Keep training and actually go out and play in a local tourney. Keep up with it even if it means you have to rebel against her word and face sanctions. Just know when to draw the line. Now that is what I call dedication.

Just keep in mind that you'd have to be a prodigy to take Smash as a career encompassing your entire life. It won't do you much even for game design. Although it does help to understand many technical things about the game you can apply to others. Otherwise, enrich yourself in school and get a job to support yourself.
I actually make it.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
Smash is more like just having fun and when parents here work they think of stuff like sitting at a desk doing crap like that. Well I think they just can't accept the fact that gaming is big and you can make a living off of it. Cause some people don't want to be the person that sits at the desk. And you're not alone, my friends parents are like that to. (By the way I'm guessing you put achievements on your resume, so if you win a tournament.....I bet you know where this is going.)

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Smash is more like just having fun and when parents here work they think of stuff like sitting at a desk doing crap like that. Well I think they just can't accept the fact that gaming is big and you can make a living off of it. Cause some people don't want to be the person that sits at the desk. And you're not alone, my friends parents are like that to. (By the way I'm guessing you put achievements on your resume, so if you win a tournament.....I bet you know where this is going.)
Gaming as a profession is something you can shoot for, but not something you can realistically achieve. The amount of time that top-level players put into any game is astonishing, and puts many people off right then and there. People like M2K can put their life and soul into getting better at the game and still come up short, which is a mental block not a lot of people can surpass. He continually has to play well and continue to improve, and if he goes into a rut, then he's not going to make money and he will go broke (and likely drop out of Smash entirely), which is not something a lot of people want to risk.

Also no employer is going to give a **** that you won a dinky Smash Bros tournament one time lol. Now, if you were a TO and organized it and whatnot, then an employer would be impressed by your leadership and organization skills, or if you're a streamer like Chibo or Gimr, it shows your technical prowess and ability to manage your own mini-network of stuff. But no employer cares that you're able to press buttons better than someone else can press buttons.

If you're only playing Smash for the video game itself, you might be playing it for the wrong reasons. You should be playing it for the social experience, for getting to meet all sorts of people, for getting to talk with others about the game you love, for the chance to join a community, for the chance to travel, and for the chance to show others what you're capable of.

Last edited:

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
If you're only playing Smash for the video game itself, you might be playing it for the wrong reasons. You should be playing it for the social experience, for getting to meet all sorts of people, for getting to talk with others about the game you love, for the chance to join a community, for the chance to travel, and for the chance to show others what you're capable of.
To be honest that's the only reason why, I want to become a part of the smash community so badly. Cause you make friends that really you'll probably would never had made. For me I'd like to be friends with G$.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
You're quite motivated to get into the competitive scene, eh? That's great! I suggest checking out the Tournament Listings for your Regional Zone (your location appears to be in CA, so Pacific West) and making a plan to go there and play.

You only sound pestered by your mom that you can't go. Is she actively doing anything to prevent you from going to a tourney?

Top Bottom