• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Brother Needs advice

Killress

Smash Ace
Hello all. My little brother (he's eight lol, but great for his age) mains Ganon, and he has trouble playing my fox. He has trouble capitalizing on his kills, has a lack of combos, and tends to run into my shine spikes a lot. Any advice for the little squirt? Thanks in advance

-Killress

Phlemingo

Smash Ace
Well first off Ganon isn't meant to be a combo master and to avoid getting shine spiked he should probably mix up his recovery methods. Sometimes I find that getting back to the stage with Ganon's over B helps.

KYAG

Smash Rookie
Personally I hate Ganny's over-b Recovery, I much prefer u-b and air dodge to get back on the stage, but I would NEVER ait dodge when I was low. But even if you did it when you were high up and managed to doge a fox u-air or u-smash, there is simply to little lag on fox's move set and by the time you invincibility frames wear off they'll be back on you. I only do this next thing ocassional, but it seems to catch people off-guard when I do it:

after you have used your d-b's to the point where you will die if you do one more (remembering to use your regained jump each time) and you still have one jump left I u-air, double jump and I'm back on while effectivly keeping my opponent off me. This is also risky and you have to be just about even / slightly higher than the stage when you u-air. and then if you don't make it back w/ your double jump you always have u-b to make it ^ ^;.

But like I said this is only me and I'm not that great myself :laugh:

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Hello all. My little brother (he's eight lol, but great for his age) mains Ganon, and he has trouble playing my fox. He has trouble capitalizing on his kills, has a lack of combos, and tends to run into my shine spikes a lot. Any advice for the little squirt? Thanks in advance

-Killress
Encourage him to try out new stuff. Even if he SD's a lot of the time, he'll learn new edgeguarding tricks and get some practice.
For combos, if he can already shuffl well and and double jump aerials, then practice tech chasing well.

For recovering, keep in mind he doesn't have to DI towards the stage all the time. You can double jump away and up b towards. it depends.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Heh... sorry, i've never understood what techchasing was? Could you fill me in?
When you press R when landing on the ground (from being attacked) your character will land on his hands and get up very quickly. This is called a tech. . IF you hold to the side while teching, you will roll in that direction.

A techchase is when you follow your opponents tech and attack them again as soon as they get up.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
Well first off Ganon isn't meant to be a combo master and to avoid getting shine spiked he should probably mix up his recovery methods. Sometimes I find that getting back to the stage with Ganon's over B helps.
a problem with this, unless you are REALLY high and over the edge, you will never grab it. a smart fox will either edge hog this or shield it.

back to your little bro. fox is supposed to be a hard match up for Ganondorf. If you are waveshinning him constantly, then teach him that after you shine to grab. recovering when ganon gets shined off of the edge should never be followed up with a jump into him. it will lead into more shines. If he has some problems with learning the techchase, then let him practice it a little on a lvl7 falco ( yes i said lvl7. it is a great comp to learn the basic against) I have found out that when learning a character with someone who you play with daily, is to have them play as cheap as possible. It helped me learn how to think on my feet and that not everyone cares what you think is cheap. I am happy you want your little bro to get better because that means that you want to fight better people, so you want to get better. everyone contribute to this cause and lend your advice.

Killress

Smash Ace
Thanks mate =] Yea, my little brother never wants to play anymore, because i rip him up :p Hes getting better ( i'm teaching him some combos i got off of ganon videos and such) and i dont want to lose him as a smasher =]

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming f-tilt. But d-tilt is good for edgeguarding a fox over b recovery. When I face fox, the jab, and f-tilt are my bread and butter until the spacie is at 50% or above. Tech chasing on platforms is too easy, so have your bro u-throw or d-throw when he grabs you under a platform. That way you'll land up there and he can wait for your tech and follow it up from below with whatever he wants.

Just make sure your bro is very aggressive once he lands a hit. Most foxes I face are aggressive so I chill center stage and jab and tilt them until I get a good knockback and follow it up with f-airs to edgeguard.

u-air and b-air are excellent for gimping fox.

Top Bottom