• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Life as an Epileptic Smasher

Bing

Smash Master
Link to original post: [drupal=5180]My Life as an Epileptic Smasher[/drupal]

Hey guys my name is Brad, I live in a city thats about 20 minutes away from Niagara Falls. And yeah, I've had epilepsy for about 3 years now.

Now my "battle" with this defect began 3 years ago on a walk home from my friends house after a night of playing NHL 09. I was heading back to my house when I awoke on the side of the road, bleeding my hands, mouth and knees. Turns out a woman on the side the road had driven by and seen me comvulsing so she immediately called 911. I went to the hospital, they cleaned all my wounds all that hospital jazz and sent me on my way.

One year later almost to the day (361 days to be exact) since my last seizure, my friends and I were sitting outside playing Risk when my second seizure happened. I awoke laying on the ground, roughly 10-15 feet away from where I was sitting, again bleeding and the ambulance was on its way. I had no idea who these people around me were, I couldnt recognize voices or anything.. but eventually it all came back to me. Since this incident I had them almost consistently every 6 months for the next 2 years. My Neurologist put me on this medication called Tegretol, its to help prevent and slow down seizures. I suppose its helped considering they could be more frequent.

Now I have always wanted to be a pro gamer. I began watching pro melee back in 2008 and I've wanted to do it incredibly bad since then. I asked my doctor if it was even safe for me to play video games, be near strobe lights and all that stuff. According to my Neurologist, my epilepsy is caused by stress. It has very little to no relation to lights, games etc. Infact, he told me only 3% of seizures are caused by Videos Games. The reason for my stress caused Seizures is because of a birth defect, a pinched nerve I've had since birth, and until 3 years ago, my body was unable to send enough energy to this part of the brain to force an overload.

The reason why Im writing this is because I know that some people are afraid to get into pro gaming while having this defect, when really you may not have anything to fear. Yes at any given minute I could wake up on a random place, bleeding, disorientated, a total mess for lack of a better term. But I atleast know that I can do something I love and know its not killing me (In more ways than the average person).
So there is more to my story, I've had a seizure every 6 months for the last while, except the one I had this past Sunday was the first in 9 months, which was when I had my presciption up'd to 300mgs a day.

So how has Epilepsy effected my goal of becoming a true pro? Not at all.

If you have questions or want to hear more stories, just post them here, I'll be glad to respond

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
This is nice to hear c: my roommate is a gamer and also has epilepsy. She almost went into game design....the reason she switched was not her epilepsy but the fact she wants to go into entertainment design xD
Epilepsy is misunderstood, so I'm glad you can share your story and show that you can still game

:phone:

Bing

Smash Master
Thats why I wrote this. Epilepsy truly is misunderstood. I mean after my friends saw me have my first seizure, I couldnt live it down for the longest. Anytime someone would turn on a lightswitch, a tv, and sort of potential flickering light, It was "Brad close your eyes!" Or "Oh ****, sorry Brad, forgot about the Epilpesy"

Truth be told, it doesnt effect me at all, I own a strobe light, I go to clubs and concerts all the time and yes, I Game. So Im hoping to both give people who are scared to atleast attempt to look further into it and for those who are ignorant to what Epilepsy is and can be, to enlighten them.

Sarix

Smash Ace
This was a really good read Bing. I know I'm not epileptic but I can't look at electronic screens for very long without my glasses otherwise I get bad headaches and blurriness so I feel I can empathize to a slight extent. If I ever meet anyone epileptic who wants to get into competitive gaming I'll have to reference this to keep there hopes up.

Top Bottom