• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Joy-Cons have the Drift

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
When I originally bought my Switch in 2017, I got the model with the Blue and Red Joy-Cons. Later on, I bought a pair of grey Joy-Cons for $80. So that's both of the original colors of Joy-Cons at launch. I then had a Pro Controller. Total, that's five controllers, meaning one Switch and four halves with one Pro gives a group of visitors the opportunity for five players. Both of my original Blue and Red ones are overused now. They have the drift, meaning they still move characters after I've let go of the control stick for a bit. I can still play games with them, but they are objectively the worse choice compared to using controllers that don't have this problem. So that brings the amount of available controllers to any multiplayer session from 5 down to 3.

The Joy-Cons were a brilliant idea. Having two of them makes it easier to get to the full 8 players. This is offset by the Joy-Cons easily being the least durable controllers Nintendo has made since the N64. Many people who owned a Switch since 2017, even if it was November and not March, are having this problem. Joy-Cons are very expensive to replace. And the lack of durability ensures the sales will have to be new- buying used just puts you back where you started. I have Super Famicom (yeah, that's the one I got), GameCube, and Playstation (1-4) controllers that still work. I know I can just use the Pro, but I am one of the few Western Switch users who mainly uses it as a handheld.

I bring this up on Smash Boards specifically because Smash tends to be a very control-stick-heavy, input-heavy game that accelerates this. So on top of console, game, controller, DLC, and online costs, you also have controller REPLACEMENTS. Please don't be shocked if people start quitting Smash now that money is tighter.

Top Bottom