• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U My Journey for a GC Adapter.....

Y'all like Gamestop? Yah or Nah?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oye_Joaquin

Smash Rookie
NNID
JuanMannyAcosta
3DS FC
2062-9158-9877
I've spent the past 2 days searching for a GC controller adapter for Smash U. I did, fortunately come across one at a Best Buy that was far from local, but I got one nonetheless. I went to about 6-8 Gamestops, 3 Best Buys, 2 WalMarts, 4 Targets and 1 Toys R Us. I spent an insane amount of time looking for this ******. Worth. I went from Gamestop to Gamestop praying it was available. I finally get to one that has it. I get off the phone with an employee who tells me they have 1 last one in stock. I am obviously overjoyed. I ask if I can hold the product, I was about 10 minutes away, he said he couldn't. I brushed it off since I was practically there. I go inside and walk through the line to ask if it was still there, the dude said yes. I'm excited behind 3 or 4 chaps ready to enjoy Smash U like it was meant to be played <3 <3. One person ahead of me left. The dude literally orders it and buys it IN FRONT OF MY GODDAMN EYES! I am extremely aggravated at this point. SO I head off to another Gamestop. When I get there I see it bright as day on the shelf. I ask the lady who's working there to give me it because I was gonna buy it. She says "No". I was about to chop her head off at the moment. "THE **** YOU MEAN NO" was what I thought. Being a civilized human being I asked why. She tells me she was holding it for a customer. What grinds me here is that I was just told by another employee at a different shop that it wasn't possible. At this point I'm about to ask for a manager. But my father just says to check the Best Buy across the street first. I say cool, so we check it out. I get there. Lawd. it wasn't there. I had a feeling though, so I ask a worker there. He says that he sold the last one yesterday (Friday, 21st 2014). He says he's gonna check just in case. I shrug and say to forget it, to save his time. He says he has to go back there anyway. 20 minutes later I'm contemplating ditching the store and returning to Gamestop. But I see him return. His stroll comparable to that of a God. With such divinity I was surprised the entire building didn't collapse. And within his closed grip, I see it. The Holy Grail. Extremely happy I squeal. He hands me the adapter and I contemplate kissing his shoes clean. Bought it and bundled the joy with some burgers from 5 Guys. It was a good day.

In general though, Gamestop lost a customer forever. One employee was lying to me, don't care who, but one did. Never go to Gamestop.

The Cheese

Smash Cadet
Well, those particular GameStops might have been bad, but that has nothing to do with the chain. I was able to pre-order the bundle only a few days before release because one good employee was able to work with me. Besides, it's luck that any of them had one at all. Suckers are practically sold out country-wide, especially in a high traffic market like GameStop.

The one that was being held for someone may have been an order a customer placed and had shipped there.

There are a lot of reasons for you to be upset, but few of them should be directed at a company, and some of them might not even be reasons at all if all possible information isn't present. Buck up, soldier.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
You could have simply called GameStops and other general/electronic stores asking if any were in stock. That would've saved you the hassle.

Oye_Joaquin

Smash Rookie
NNID
JuanMannyAcosta
3DS FC
2062-9158-9877
My problem is this:
You could have simply called GameStops and other general/electronic stores asking if any were in stock. That would've saved you the hassle.
If I did that, I'd never have one. I called the Best Buy I got it at and they said they didn't have any. When I got there, took them a while, but it was there. I did call so many who said they had one and soon before I got there it sold.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
My local Gamestop sold out and I've been playing Smash with the Gamepad. I really need an adapter because the Gamepad kind of sucks.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Be happy you got one man. I don't know how or why, but nowhere has these things. I got mine with the bundle, but there were so many bummed out people at the gamestop I picked mine up at, because they'd get the game and ask for the adapter and the guy working their would have to say "nintendo messed up man, we won't have more of them til christmas".

I honestly woulda recommended the bundle anyway. The controller is high quality, and the game and adapter with it are priced pretty well. Dunno why anyone wouldn't have gotten it.

Oye_Joaquin

Smash Rookie
NNID
JuanMannyAcosta
3DS FC
2062-9158-9877
Be happy you got one man. I don't know how or why, but nowhere has these things. I got mine with the bundle, but there were so many bummed out people at the gamestop I picked mine up at, because they'd get the game and ask for the adapter and the guy working their would have to say "nintendo messed up man, we won't have more of them til christmas".

I honestly woulda recommended the bundle anyway. The controller is high quality, and the game and adapter with it are priced pretty well. Dunno why anyone wouldn't have gotten it.
I have the controller, very nice. I couldn't pre-order the bundle because it was sold out at my local gamestop when I had the money. Oh well, it's in the past. Finally rocking a Gamecube controller again

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
I pre-ordered my GCN adapter off Amazon. Due to credit card changes, the adapter is now comming tommorow at it's original price thanks to ordering literally 2 hours before the GCN adapter price changing madness. While waitng for the adapter, I find the Pro Controller and Gamepad easy to use and great secondary options. About Gamestop, the one in my area isn't bad at all. Matter of fact because of some employee's words, I picked up my first amiibo.

Last edited:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Dude u should call stores first lol. If anything Amazon would've had it. Order online n pick up at stores. The time n GAS u spent, could've bought next day shipping online. But it sucks that u had to go through that. Highly rediculous

Twigler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twigler
I was looking for the game + controller bundle, but it is sold out everywhere, so I ordered it online and have to wait until the first week of December to receive it. I can play all my new Xbox One games in the meantime lol.

otter

Smash Ace
I went to a gamestop about 30 minutes away after calling all of them in my region. One store had one adapter yet, and I asked them hold it for me. They said they literally got 30 calls about it while it was being held for me. I lucked out. I had a pre order from best buy, and they haven't even bothered to contact me to let me know its not coming.

MrBond

Smash Cadet
DO NOT GOT THROUGH GAMESTOP

Here's my story:
1) Several weeks ago, I go to the gamestop near my house. I pre-ordered the game there and asked if I would be able to pre-order the adapter as well. The dude tells me that they don't have the adapter (not the bundle, I already know that they don't have it) and that they are out of stock on it...I had also recently called this same Gamestop and was told about the bundle that I could try waiting for their new shipment to come in on a Monday to see if they had anymore. I contacted them again on said Monday and they said "oh, no. It doesn't work that way. We only are allowed to put x number of pre-orders through." Sigh, so I tried another Gamestop.

2) The same day as pre-ordering the game, I go to another gamestop near my house. I ask them if they had the adapter and they said yes. I had also told them that the other gamestop that I went to didn't have the adapter. The dude checked the computer and told me that the other gamestop DID have the adapters, and that the guy who told me they did not have them "didn't have a clue what he was doing". Both gamestops are located in the same city. Just to be safe, I pre-ordered the adapter at this second gamestop location.

3) About a week later, I go to the second gamestop to swap my pre-order back to the first gamestop. This was a success, and so I finally had my pre-orders for the game AND adapter at the first Gamestop that I went to. The clerk told me that I would be able to pick BOTH the game and adapter up at midnight.

4) Going to the original Gamestop location at midnight to pick up the game. The clerk tells me "oh, we don't have any more of the adapters in stock. Actually, none of the Gamestops in this city even have them in stock yet. You can swing by tomorrow to pick the adapter up though." It's funny because the SAME CLERK who in point 3 told me that I could get both the adapter and game at midnight was there and when I asked him about them not having the adapters at midnight, he blamed it on UPS for "not giving us the item because of the street date".

TLDR: Gamestop gives broken promises, lies, clerks tell you conflicting things that change a day later. I had several employees tell me that I could/couldn't get the adapter, but then I could, employees telling me at midnight that no single gamestop in my city even had the adapters in stock when I was specifically told by employees that I COULD pick it up at midnight along with my game.

Should have just went to Walmart to get the game at midnight and not have to deal with people at Gamestop...because honestly, it's not worth the trouble.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm really hoping I don't have any problems. I've pre-ordered the GC Adapter bundle from GameStop. Game is coming out in Europe this Friday.

I'm banking on not many Irish buyers of the game knowing about the Adapter, but I will be very upset if I somehow do not get the bundle, especially after pre-ordering.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
DO NOT GOT THROUGH GAMESTOP

Here's my story:
1) Several weeks ago, I go to the gamestop near my house. I pre-ordered the game there and asked if I would be able to pre-order the adapter as well. The dude tells me that they don't have the adapter (not the bundle, I already know that they don't have it) and that they are out of stock on it...I had also recently called this same Gamestop and was told about the bundle that I could try waiting for their new shipment to come in on a Monday to see if they had anymore. I contacted them again on said Monday and they said "oh, no. It doesn't work that way. We only are allowed to put x number of pre-orders through." Sigh, so I tried another Gamestop.

2) The same day as pre-ordering the game, I go to another gamestop near my house. I ask them if they had the adapter and they said yes. I had also told them that the other gamestop that I went to didn't have the adapter. The dude checked the computer and told me that the other gamestop DID have the adapters, and that the guy who told me they did not have them "didn't have a clue what he was doing". Both gamestops are located in the same city. Just to be safe, I pre-ordered the adapter at this second gamestop location.

3) About a week later, I go to the second gamestop to swap my pre-order back to the first gamestop. This was a success, and so I finally had my pre-orders for the game AND adapter at the first Gamestop that I went to. The clerk told me that I would be able to pick BOTH the game and adapter up at midnight.

4) Going to the original Gamestop location at midnight to pick up the game. The clerk tells me "oh, we don't have any more of the adapters in stock. Actually, none of the Gamestops in this city even have them in stock yet. You can swing by tomorrow to pick the adapter up though." It's funny because the SAME CLERK who in point 3 told me that I could get both the adapter and game at midnight was there and when I asked him about them not having the adapters at midnight, he blamed it on UPS for "not giving us the item because of the street date".

TLDR: Gamestop gives broken promises, lies, clerks tell you conflicting things that change a day later. I had several employees tell me that I could/couldn't get the adapter, but then I could, employees telling me at midnight that no single gamestop in my city even had the adapters in stock when I was specifically told by employees that I COULD pick it up at midnight along with my game.

Should have just went to Walmart to get the game at midnight and not have to deal with people at Gamestop...because honestly, it's not worth the trouble.
You do know not all stores go by the same rules it's all purely based on the managers. I work at GameStop and have a manager who GAVE AWAY HIS BUNDLE because one of our employee's forgot to pack the correct amount so as the customer can get his bundle. So again, it's based on the GameStop's and to see you call my co-workers and essentially me liars is just filled with scum baggery.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I can't find one anywhere. And playing with the gamepad/wii remote + nunchuk is really starting to piss me off.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
My Gamestop hasn't received them either yet, though it has been two days. Though, we are near the Buffalo area, which was crazy with snow and caused the interstate to close for a while, so it is to be expected

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I've spent the past 2 days searching for a GC controller adapter for Smash U. I did, fortunately come across one at a Best Buy that was far from local, but I got one nonetheless. I went to about 6-8 Gamestops, 3 Best Buys, 2 WalMarts, 4 Targets and 1 Toys R Us. I spent an insane amount of time looking for this ****er. Worth. I went from Gamestop to Gamestop praying it was available. I finally get to one that has it. I get off the phone with an employee who tells me they have 1 last one in stock. I am obviously overjoyed. I ask if I can hold the product, I was about 10 minutes away, he said he couldn't. I brushed it off since I was practically there. I go inside and walk through the line to ask if it was still there, the dude said yes. I'm excited behind 3 or 4 chaps ready to enjoy Smash U like it was meant to be played <3 <3. One person ahead of me left. The dude literally orders it and buys it IN FRONT OF MY GODDAMN EYES! I am extremely aggravated at this point. SO I head off to another Gamestop. When I get there I see it bright as day on the shelf. I ask the lady who's working there to give me it because I was gonna buy it. She says "No". I was about to chop her head off at the moment. "THE **** YOU MEAN NO" was what I thought. Being a civilized human being I asked why. She tells me she was holding it for a customer. What grinds me here is that I was just told by another employee at a different shop that it wasn't possible. At this point I'm about to ask for a manager. But my father just says to check the Best Buy across the street first. I say cool, so we check it out. I get there. Lawd. it wasn't there. I had a feeling though, so I ask a worker there. He says that he sold the last one yesterday (Friday, 21st 2014). He says he's gonna check just in case. I shrug and say to forget it, to save his time. He says he has to go back there anyway. 20 minutes later I'm contemplating ditching the store and returning to Gamestop. But I see him return. His stroll comparable to that of a God. With such divinity I was surprised the entire building didn't collapse. And within his closed grip, I see it. The Holy Grail. Extremely happy I squeal. He hands me the adapter and I contemplate kissing his shoes clean. Bought it and bundled the joy with some burgers from 5 Guys. It was a good day.

In general though, Gamestop lost a customer forever. One employee was lying to me, don't care who, but one did. Never go to Gamestop.
Best story~

Lol though, what if the guy if front of you at Gamestop heard you wanted it, and that's the only reason he bought it :troll:?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Here's my story:
I walk into the Gamestop. The cashier says, "The UPS guy behind you is bringing in the shipment right now. Do you mind waiting a few minutes to get it all processed?" And I waited.
End of Story.
Fortunately, I used that time to pick up my Wii U from layaway at Walmart which was right next door.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

ITT: people raging at factors that are out of employees control, because they can't get their equipz right on time. Mistakes happen. Especially with highly anticipated items that sell like hotcakes.

I remember the ***** storm around Fire Emblem too.

Rane

Smash Rookie
I preordered the game at Best Buy in June to get the coin, and about two weeks ago I decided to see if I could order the adapter and controller at GameStop online to pick up at the store next to Best Buy. It worked, and I got to GameStop about an hour after they found the box, with one adapter per preorder.

Oye_Joaquin

Smash Rookie
NNID
JuanMannyAcosta
3DS FC
2062-9158-9877
Sucks to see I'm not the only one who had troubles. Oh well, at least most of us have it. We won ladies and gents.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Did you made that site crashed, or I checked and it did crashed :)

Btw, the error page shows the error in English and French...the French text is poorly translated...why?
Lol I have no idea, I had no reason to go there because I already have one just wanted to inform the less fortunate

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Yep, I had these same troubles. After becoming increasingly annoyed, I decided to splurge and buy an adapter from amazon uk. I don't care if it was an extra 12 bucks, it's worth it to be able to play with my family and friends this Christmas.

Top Bottom