• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U My Impressions So Far (Review In Progress)

StudMuffinScott

Smash Rookie
I was fortunate enough to receive a review copy of the Wii U version, and I've really been enjoying it. Here are my thoughts so far...

• The graphics are beautiful. I have been admiring everything in this game - the menus, the stages, the backgrounds... Nintendo really knocked it out of the park with the HD graphics.

• Control options are great. The 3DS plays with no discernable lag. You can adjust control settings one screen back out of the character select screen - very convenient. Name tags are sorted from top to bottom by last used.

• The big stages are awesome for 8 player smash. 2v2v2v2 became surprisingly tactical and interesting on Palutena's Temple, for example.

I can't think of much to add at the moment - just have had a great experience so far with a big group of players. Feel free to ask whatever you would like but I probably won't have time to answer the most technical of questions... Got a (very positive) review to write!

Last edited:

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
Did you happen to find out whether or not you can play 8-player smash on custom stages?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Have you been able to test if the Pikmin can pick up and carry items to Olimar/Alph, like they could in the E3 demo?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
What? Where did you see that? I don't remember the demo every demonstrating this.
They could. I'm 100% sure. It was a match someone played on E3 or Gamestop (or any place that had the E3 demo). In one match, on Skyloft, Olimar threw a Pikmin across the stage and it landed next to a Barrel (I think. Might have been something smaller, can't remember). The Pikmin picked it up and dropped it down when he came back to Olimar. It's a very neat feature, and I hope it was cut from the 3DS version because of limiatations only, and that it will return in the Wii U version.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Strangely enough, the 3DS tips even state that Pikmin can retrieve items, but they can't. Same goes for claiming that Wario's bike parts can be picked up.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Strangely enough, the 3DS tips even state that Pikmin can retrieve items, but they can't. Same goes for claiming that Wario's bike parts can be picked up.
Oh wow, I didn't know about those things. They should really fix that.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Can OP leak anything that we might not already know? ;)
It's called an embargo. He's not allowed to show unrevealed content. He'd get into legal issues and would likely not get anymore review copies if he leaked.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
It's called an embargo. He's not allowed to show unrevealed content. He'd get into legal issues and would likely not get anymore review copies if he leaked.
Gaahhhh I forgot about those things. Thanks for reminding me :(

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
They could. I'm 100% sure. It was a match someone played on E3 or Gamestop (or any place that had the E3 demo). In one match, on Skyloft, Olimar threw a Pikmin across the stage and it landed next to a Barrel (I think. Might have been something smaller, can't remember). The Pikmin picked it up and dropped it down when he came back to Olimar. It's a very neat feature, and I hope it was cut from the 3DS version because of limiatations only, and that it will return in the Wii U version.
Wow, I'm intrigued. So there are differences in gameplay then.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
There's gonna be an update that will tweak the characters, so we might see the Pikmin carrying items once the update is released

the8thark

Smash Lord
Remember the NDA/embargo expires on the 21st. And it's not the 21st yet.

Still when you've got a good review up I'd like to read it.

Last edited:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
There's gonna be an update that will tweak the characters, so we might see the Pikmin carrying items once the update is released
I'm assuming the patch is just to make the 3DS match Wii U, as things like Wario's momentum glitch are absent in the Wii U version, and it doesn't seem outlandish for there to be other slight differences that affect balance. Perhaps Pikmin can already carry items in Wii U.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
What's your favorite NEW stage to play on?

What NEW stage is your least favorite to play on?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Scratch that.

Anyways, can't wait for Smash to come out Friday.

Last edited:

StudMuffinScott

Smash Rookie
Have you been able to test if the Pikmin can pick up and carry items to Olimar/Alph, like they could in the E3 demo?
Yes, Pikmin carry items/open capsules, etc.

Wario's bike pieces cannot be picked up.

The embargo is actually pretty lax. I'll just say don't get your hopes up for anything major having not been revealed yet!

What's your favorite NEW stage to play on?

What NEW stage is your least favorite to play on?
My absolute favorite new stage is Orbital Gate Assualt, the Star Fox stage styled after Star Fox Assualt. The whole stage is super pretty. Everyone in the room just kept saying "That stage is REALLY cool!"
Least favorite would probably be DK Jungle Hijinx. I wasn't a fan of the foreground/background mechanic - seems like more of a 3DS gimmick anyway.

Go ahead and keep the questions coming, although I actually came down with a really base case of tonsillitis this weekend. Haven't been able to play nearly as much as I should. Some luck :/

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Does the GC controller shield on any squeeze of L/R or does it only shield on click like Brawl?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Did you do a prespective on

Special orders

The wii u versions of classic and all-star and stadium games

And a good question for me is the playablity going to be just fine for people that loves to unlock a lot of stuff

ScionVyse

Smash Rookie
NNID
ScionVyse
Least favorite would probably be DK Jungle Hijinx. I wasn't a fan of the foreground/background mechanic - seems like more of a 3DS gimmick anyway.
I find that rather amusing, considering Jungle Hijinx is only for the Wii U version. Maybe it's something people just need to get used to, since it's a completely new mechanic in the franchise.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Does the game remeber the last colour you used like it does in the 3DS version?

elmike

Smash Apprentice
can you transfer all your equipment from the 3ds? Or just modified characters?

In your opinion, is the smash tour mode fun in single player? If the answer is "yes"... was it fun for you "smash run" in single player?

D

Deleted member 269706

Can you have ANY music play on the menus, or is it restricted to certain menu themes?

StudMuffinScott

Smash Rookie
Does the GC controller shield on any squeeze of L/R or does it only shield on click like Brawl?
I'm sorry, I wasn't provided with an adapter. Can't get any stores to sell one either. :p

Did you do a prespective on

Special orders

The wii u versions of classic and all-star and stadium games

And a good question for me is the playablity going to be just fine for people that loves to unlock a lot of stuff
Special orders: the matches are pretty much like event matches without any semblance of storyline/scenarios.

Classic: I prefer the multi-path approach of the 3DS. Also, the home button trick still works... Kind of. You can't mash it, have to give it a few seconds before pressing home again. Not terribly useful.

All-Star I have not tried yet but it looked straightforward in the last Direct.

Stadium is pretty much all the same. Ganondorf still owns the home run contest.

Unlockables: this shares an issue I had with the 3DS version. It's nearly impossible to track which custom moves you have unlocked. Made even more difficult in this game, the rewards section won't display "Standard 2" but the actual name of the attack.

Maybe others didn't take as much of an issue with this as I did, but I actually ended up making a spreadsheet to track my progress for the 3DS version.

Does the game remeber the last colour you used like it does in the 3DS version?
It doesn't. :/

More answers to come after I have tested it more.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm sorry, I wasn't provided with an adapter. Can't get any stores to sell one either. :p

Special orders: the matches are pretty much like event matches without any semblance of storyline/scenarios.

Classic: I prefer the multi-path approach of the 3DS. Also, the home button trick still works... Kind of. You can't mash it, have to give it a few seconds before pressing home again. Not terribly useful.

All-Star I have not tried yet but it looked straightforward in the last Direct.

Stadium is pretty much all the same. Ganondorf still owns the home run contest.

Unlockables: this shares an issue I had with the 3DS version. It's nearly impossible to track which custom moves you have unlocked. Made even more difficult in this game, the rewards section won't display "Standard 2" but the actual name of the attack.

Maybe others didn't take as much of an issue with this as I did, but I actually ended up making a spreadsheet to track my progress for the 3DS version.

It doesn't. :/

More answers to come after I have tested it more.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Grey R.O.B., WHY DID THEY HAVE TO MAKE R.O.B. GREY.

Now I will have to look at it when ever I play R.O.B..

Sigh~ Anyway, one more question and you probably won't be able to answer it anyway but....

Have you unlocked the Fountain of Dreams theme or the DK rap/Melee Jungle Japes music, and if you have, what stage does it play on?

the8thark

Smash Lord
The embargo is actually pretty lax. I'll just say don't get your hopes up for anything major having not been revealed yet!
I thank you for all of your info. It's nice that you share it with everyone.
And it doesn't matter how lax the embargo is, people who respect Nintendo do the right thing by Nintendo. It's the moral dilemma taking here.

Have you unlocked the Fountain of Dreams theme or the DK rap/Melee Jungle Japes music, and if you have, what stage does it play on?
Not as yet announced and unlockable stages are under the embargo. Will have to wait a few days will the 21st to get that kind of info.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I thank you for all of your info. It's nice that you share it with everyone.
And it doesn't matter how lax the embargo is, people who respect Nintendo do the right thing by Nintendo. It's the moral dilemma taking here.

Not as yet announced and unlockable stages are under the embargo. Will have to wait a few days will the 21st to get that kind of info.
I didn't ask about the stages, I asked about the music.

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
Tried to get this answered in gamexplain's video, but it got lost in the thousands of questions lol.

Does each stage have a omega/fd version like in the 3ds? Or is it just most of the stages?

SuperArtCancel

Smash Rookie
NNID
shoryukens
3DS FC
1607-2675-9297
Lucky! Quick question: does the game support dual audio? Like can I play Ike with his sexy Japanese voice?

Last edited:

StudMuffinScott

Smash Rookie
can you transfer all your equipment from the 3ds? Or just modified characters?

In your opinion, is the smash tour mode fun in single player? If the answer is "yes"... was it fun for you "smash run" in single player?
Just modified characters.

Haven't tried Smash Tour yet... better get on that.

Can you have ANY music play on the menus, or is it restricted to certain menu themes?
Just a handful of options.

Are there any stages we don't know yet?
I doubt it... I didn't know about a couple of them, but my friends said that they have been shown in screenshots before.

I can't say. =)

Tried to get this answered in gamexplain's video, but it got lost in the thousands of questions lol.

Does each stage have a omega/fd version like in the 3ds? Or is it just most of the stages?
Every stage has an Omega form.

Lucky! Quick question: does the game support dual audio? Like can I play Ike with his sexy Japanese voice?
I haven't found any options for sexy Japanese voices. =/

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just modified characters.

Haven't tried Smash Tour yet... better get on that.

Just a handful of options.

I doubt it... I didn't know about a couple of them, but my friends said that they have been shown in screenshots before.

I can't say. =)

Every stage has an Omega form.

I haven't found any options for sexy Japanese voices. =/
Well, I know the Dk Rap is back (Although I don't really care about it, I was just wandering what stage it plays on because of that stage pattern theory)

But that smily face does give me hope for Fountain of Dreams to return, maybe a smile for CROWNED ;p

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Can you transfer unlocked characters?

Ex: I have Lucina with pro modifications. Would I be able to transfer her from the first time I load up Smash Wii U, or would I have to unlock her there first?

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Have you ever encountered any lag at all?
Also, how's trophy studio?

StudMuffinScott

Smash Rookie
Can you transfer unlocked characters?

Ex: I have Lucina with pro modifications. Would I be able to transfer her from the first time I load up Smash Wii U, or would I have to unlock her there first?
That's a great question - I actually didn't try transferring any characters before I unlocked them all. Sorry about that.

Have you ever encountered any lag at all?
Also, how's trophy studio?
Not sure what you mean by lag - online mode isn't enabled until tomorrow night, so I'll get back to you on that.
As far as loading screens, the swirling smash ball in the corner does pop up a bit more frequently than I would prefer.

Top Bottom