• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My friend's an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
Recently, I had an AIM conversation with him on AIM. At first, we had a small time argument, and he said that wavedash is getting taken out in Brawl, and I disagreed. We began to argue why, and eventually, we began talking about pro level play, and how it affects it. Cutting the story short, I think my friend has no clue what he's talking about, is arrogant, and too biased to believe anything that I have to say.

He claims that his friend goes to tournaments all the time (at animecons, rofl) and beats wavedashers, and I told him in a pretty straightforward way that his friend didn't qualify as a pro in the way he was thinking, because he could beat random anime fanatics at a un-advertised animecon.

I showed him this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ia9bb5fM2M

He even says that this video isn't impressive, because neither of them, "glitched," that much. I wasn't in any mood to argue with his lack of terminology, but I honestly can't think of any way to make an argument, if he isn't willing to listen to me, or if he doesn't understand just how much thought process, reflex, coordination, etc. is going on here. Can any of you give me a bit of insight on how to, "educate," my friend?

As in afterthought, a few bits of our conversation went like this.

Him: Wavedash isn't special. Just because pros do it, doesn't make it a pro thing.
Me: Well, you could say that with anything and make SOME resemblance of an argument. Imagine me saying, "Projectiles aren't special. Just because pros do it, doesn't make it a pro thing."

Another tidbit.

Me: Well, if wavedash is as broken as you say, why not eliminate SHFFL, too?
Him: Because SHFFL isn't as rigged.
Me: It allows slow, powerful attacks to be used as quickly as consecutive dash attacks.

Me: Name some pros.
Him: No. I have a friend who's as good as a pro, and goes to cons all the time and wins.

Sounded like a bit of a dodge?

Him: That video wasn't impressive. They were doing standard things that everyone can do.
Me: Name a few things they were doing.
Him: Well, it was unimpressive, they weren't even glitching or anything.

Sounded like another dodge, and he this is where his lack of terminology came through and confused me a bit.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
yeah. wipe the floor with his ***! beat him and only use SHFFL and WDing! that's some stylish irony!

iankobe

Smash Lord
Well. First of all, he doesn't know anything about smash. No point in arguing.

If his "pro friend" wins all the time, why don't you play that guy and beat him?

Zeninko

Smash Rookie
tell him to pick his best character, let him take most of your lives, then at the last second KABLAM he loses.

Samochan

Smash Master
What's with nooblets and wavedashes? >_> It's too common occurence, lol. Also, first he says wd isn't special and then he goes at how broken it is. Make him shut up by pointing out these contradictions to him and prove he really doesn't know anything about this game. :p Would these 60,000 competitive players be learning and using these techs if they were useless? What are those things that make pro players better than the rest of us and make em earn money with it? Is his friend supposedly so good that he can do these techs and even more, earn lots and lots of money with his supposed leet skillz? (not speaking of 100 dollars or so, have a fat 0 more and then we'll talk) Poor guy probably got so scared after seeing the vid that he doesn't want to admit he sucks. Oh and competitive smash =/= glitches, not like players do infinite jumps or jump trough walls. >_>

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Oh god, i NEED to find that quote by alpha zealot. It's so perfect for this thread. I'll edit this post in a second---

I like how you mention wavedashing, when it has no bearing on pretty much anything, its simply a common noob fallacy that you think wavedashing makes or breaks the game, when in reality it is simply an add on, chances are any regular tournament goer who is worth his salt can beat you without wavedashing, but the question is why should he?
ahahah it's so perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom