• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Friend Can't Play With Other People

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
This was posted on a different forum, but nobody there could help me solve my (but mostly his) problem. I really hope somebody here can help us out. The thread was titled "My Friend Got Internet For His Wii!"
------------------------------

...But, we can't play. For some reason it keeps disconnecting us everytime we try to join each others rooms. Also, it seems that my friend can't join anyone elses room without disconnecting and vise-versa. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you know what causes it and any possible solutions. I'd really like to play with him eventually.

EDIT: Okay, people seemed to be confused about whats going on. My friend didn't buy a wireless router, he bought a cord to hook into his router or whatever. In other words, he has a wired connection to the internet. I on the other hand have WiFi and have had no trouble playing anyone but him. My Wii is close enough to my router. Also, his connection is good enough to play 360 games without lag.

The problem is that, although we both can connect to Brawl's online and we both can create a room, the person who tries to join the room always gets an error and disconnects. We tried it with a friend (whose rooms I can join) and they were unable to join each others rooms as well.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
We still haven't fixed the problem btw. Any help or suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Okay, seriously, that's not funny. We tried working with it for over an hour, and then I come back to this thread to find out that the only person who replied just tells me to set it to wumbo. I was sort of hoping I could get a REAL suggestion.

And yes, I know what wumbo is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AjMl6ePQt4

Foda

Smash Apprentice
This happens to a lot of people with nintendo WFC, the problem could be the router. There's a bunch of routers that have been known to not be compatible with the wii... I think you can find the list on nintendo's tech support site. I'm pretty sure the list contains a couple belkin routers, some other one's I don't recall, but contains no linksys routers. So chances are if you have a linksys you're okay. I've also heard that some of those wii ethernet adapter things are complete crap, but I've never used one myself... anyway maybe that's the problem.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
This happens to a lot of people with nintendo WFC, the problem could be the router. There's a bunch of routers that have been known to not be compatible with the wii... I think you can find the list on nintendo's tech support site. I'm pretty sure the list contains a couple belkin routers, some other one's I don't recall, but contains no linksys routers. So chances are if you have a linksys you're okay. I've also heard that some of those wii ethernet adapter things are complete crap, but I've never used one myself... anyway maybe that's the problem.

Thanks for the info. He does use a Linksys so his router should be fine. Also, he was able to connect to a different friend earlier, so maybe the problem fixed itself? We haven't tried joining each others rooms since we failed miserably yesterday.

Foda

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it fixed! Don't be surprised if it's an ISP thing either. Call them and find out if your areas are experiencing any DNS problems. Good luck hope you work the problem out!

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Well, unfortunately the problem still exists. He even called Nintendo's Customer Support. He can still connect to this "third" friend (#3), but after he does I am unable to join #3's room. Of course, normally I can play with #3 without any problem. If I join #3's room, then my friend disconnects when he tries to join. In other words, it seems like there is no possible way for us to play with each other.

I even tried disabling my firewalls (which shouldn't have been the problem because I can play with everyone else). It didn't work. Also, I'm assuming it's very few people who my friend can play with because it didn't work for the second person (#2) he tried to play with either. This is very frustrating for us both because one of the main reasons he bought the SYSTEM itself was so we could play Brawl online with each other. Now it seems like it will never happen.

I was hoping this would be one of the kind of problems that fixes itself overtime. Obviously that isn't going to happen. Do you think that if he bought another router (wireless?) then the problem would be fixed? Or is it his modem itself? I don't think we can fix the problem without buying something new, so I'd like to here suggestions on where people think the problem itself is. Is it the router, the modem, the lan adapter even? Perhaps if he deleted his save data it would fix the problem? We already tried re-registering each other.

This, of course, is complete crap. We live in the same state (as well as #3 and #2), our connections should be great. This is nothing but Nintendo screwing us over. We play on XBOX Live all the time without a hint of lag. Also, in Halo 3, it goes as far as to label him as the person with the better connection (most likely due to him using a cable instead of WiFi, but still). Nobody seems to know the problem and neither does Nintendo. We've pretty much given up trying to fix this ourselves, so if anyone has suggestions on what we need to replace to make this work I'm all ears.

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
My internet didn't work with my wireless router until i bought a lan adaptor and got it hooked up that way. now it works. I think you should probably stop complaining about this because if nobody has helped you yet it's probably not gonna get fixed.

Foda

Smash Apprentice
I think you should probably stop complaining about this because if nobody has helped you yet it's probably not gonna get fixed.
THAT'S helpful.

So you've recently played on xbox live and it's fine? The router could very well be the problem, did you check the nintendo tech support list of routers known to not be compatible with nintendo WFC? My friend was having the same problem with guitar hero and brawl, but he switched from his crappy belkin router (that was on the list of bad routers for WFC) to the same router I had, and problem solved for good. Now it's very possible that your friend is not having the exact same problem as my friend was, but it's worth looking into.

You could always buy that new wireless router and unpackage it very carefully so if it doesn't fix the problem you can get your money back. (Sooooo time to upgrade to some wifi anyway).

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I know his router is compatible because he can play with #3. Anyways, his router is most likely the problem and it's probably a fluke that he can play with anyone at all. Which sucks.

Foda

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't mean it's compatible, I've connected with my friend a few times while he was having the problem but most of the time we would both get disconnected when he tried to join my game or vice versa. Until he got a spiffy new router of course :)

Top Bottom