• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My first tourney is in 2 days.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
I'm debating using either Mario or ZSS.

I'm very comfortable with ZSS, as I've been playing with her for a long time. I consider her my main, and my stun game is pretty good, and my air game is getting there. I just feel like I don't have a lot of fun fighting with her like I used to, and I don't want to not have fun at my first tourney...

I have very much fun using Mario. I'm decently comfortable with him, even if he's my newest character. My air game is getting better pretty smoothly, and I have my basic fundamentals of using him down. My only big problem is using FLUDD properly. I'm debating using Mario all the way through the tourney, so I can have fun while reppin a low tier. But, I don't want to place horribly, simply because I'm using a low tier character.

So...what do you guys think I should do?

JUDGE

Smash Lord
hmmm.... it's your first tourney so you will most likley place low
but i wuold say you should take zss. even if playing mario is more fun, he is your newest char and you have to spend a lot of time in mario when you want to place high in a tourney
don't worry dude^^ i bet your tourney will makes fun even if you take zss^^ trust me

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... well, I guess I'll take that into consideration. Thanks man.

UberMario

Smash Master
If you're facing a Falco, use Mario.

So many of the Falcos I go up against don't realize that FLUDD completely stops Falco's UpB and SideB. (Especially good when they try to recover horizontally)
Otherwise, until you get the hang of Mario, stick with ZSS.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Do friendlies with Mario. Go to tourney with ZSS.
that is a good advice^^
there will be to 100% places where you play some friendlies
ask if there are someone who can help improving your mario
good luck dude^^

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Play who you have fun with. It's a game. The play to win mentality is good and all (go ZSS in tough match-ups, or against exceptional players), but I would say go mostly Mario. You won't be winning anyway, because it is your first tourney. Go to have fun, and meet a few local players. Try to get their numbers too, so you can meet up with them out of the tourney and play (and hence improve your Mario/ZSS so you have a shot at victory for next time).

Some of the best advice I can give is don't leave if you lose early. Stay the whole time. Play friendlies. Meet new people. While yes, smash tournies are a competition, they're also a social experience, and going for only the competition will make you leave unfulfilled and disappointed.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Make sure to stay the entire time, if you get knocked out. Watch the matches and talk with the better players. Make sure to ask about smashfests and when they are usually happening. You can get better and become part of a good community :D

And say Hi to Biglou for me. I think he is in GA as well.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Play who you have fun with. It's a game. The play to win mentality is good and all (go ZSS in tough match-ups, or against exceptional players), but I would say go mostly Mario. You won't be winning anyway, because it is your first tourney. Go to have fun, and meet a few local players. Try to get their numbers too, so you can meet up with them out of the tourney and play (and hence improve your Mario/ZSS so you have a shot at victory for next time).

Some of the best advice I can give is don't leave if you lose early. Stay the whole time. Play friendlies. Meet new people. While yes, smash tournies are a competition, they're also a social experience, and going for only the competition will make you leave unfulfilled and disappointed.
This.

This this this this this.

Thank you Ocon for remembering.

Top Bottom