• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(My First Post) Need Massive Help with Regards to Rosalina and Luma

JAf The Flygon

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys,

I just started playing Smash 4 two weeks ago and I want to get into the competitive scene. I have only played melee and brawl casually due to the fact that my parents didn't want me to play those games. I want to get really good at this game and go to tournaments with using Rosalina as my main. However, I am playing abysmally in FG (40% W/L ratio) and I am getting really frustrated. I have been watching videos of top players like Dabuz and Keitaro (although he doesn't really use Rosalina as of late) and analyzing my replays but I still can't figure out why I am losing. Can someone please help a noob like me out so I can get better at this game? Thanks for taking time out of your day to read this post.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Online matches tend to suffer from lag, so it's more difficult to use a fighter effectively whenever lag gets in the way.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I've never seen you play but somethings I attempt to do in order to improve. Work on spacing and punishing. Then other than that watch videos. Dabuz has a video tutorial series which is pretty good it goes over different aspect of the game. Study up on other characters. The better you understand an opponent's character and their options the easier it is to predict and punish your opponent. You also learn the ranges that you want to be in and the ones you don't. Also put time into it if you want to be good it's going to take worl and effort.....there's no shortcuts.

Also a deep understanding of your character system mechainics and quitting for glory.

Last edited:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Quite frankly, Rosa is NOT a beginner friendly character. She relies on extremely precise spacing and the ability to take full advantage of momentum.

JAf The Flygon

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks everyone for responding! You guys are awesome, and thanks Dabuz for responding haha (I saw some of your videos on smash fundamentals and they are really helpful)! I'll just have to learn more about the game and practice before I will be able to play with her well. Since I am new to the site, is there a way that I can play against other smashers without using FG (I don't have anyone to practice with in my area)? Thanks again everyone!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Quite frankly, Rosa is NOT a beginner friendly character. She relies on extremely precise spacing and the ability to take full advantage of momentum.
However, when compared to the other newcomers, Rosalina is one of the easier characters to use. It's just her learning curve that can be tricky to utilize.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
However, when compared to the other newcomers, Rosalina is one of the easier characters to use. It's just her learning curve that can be tricky to utilize.
Post nerf I think she is one of the hardest characters to use compared to the rest of then ewcomers. You can't play her and expect to win without really precise movements and then due to her size and light weight she is potentially the easiest character to kill. Luma being a resource you have to manage as well really just means every mistake is costly.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Post nerf I think she is one of the hardest characters to use compared to the rest of then ewcomers. You can't play her and expect to win without really precise movements and then due to her size and light weight she is potentially the easiest character to kill. Luma being a resource you have to manage as well really just means every mistake is costly.
I don't know. I feel that fighters like Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Greninja are more advanced than what Rosalina has, but I guess I'm only saying this because I've been more comfy with Rosalina than with the other newcomers.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I don't know. I feel that fighters like Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Greninja are more advanced than what Rosalina has, but I guess I'm only saying this because I've been more comfy with Rosalina than with the other newcomers.
Arguably they are all hard to play, but they allow significantly more mistakes making them much easier to win with at FG level.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
you might not know why you're losing because you don't know what to look for

just a few thoughts that come to mind:
  1. find out what you're getting punished for and how you could have done it differently. are you just throwing out attacks randomly? maybe you can find scenarios that work consistently
  2. maybe you're too repetitive and not mixing your game up enough
  3. you might be playing rosalina too aggressive, and while she isn't necessarily a campy character she is more of a 'stay away from me' character, and it requires knowing a lot of different scenarios in how to fully punish your opponent if they make a mistake.
  4. the biggest first jump for me was learning how to juggle with her uair. it requires knowing your opponent's options and guessing their movements in the air.

Top Bottom