• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My first ever recorded / commented match. Would appreciate any fox advice.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
So this was my first ever streamed / recorded match. I lost 2-0 but the games are pretty tight. I've been fixing a few things since watching it but would really like some feedback to help improve my game or tell me what I'm missing. Plz give any advice you can based off what you see I'm more than willing to work on my game as I do pretty well but still have a lot of trouble in netural game.

Thanks guys!

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufB17Sk9SWE

Last edited:

Cynic

Smash Rookie
Learn how to dashdance. Fox has fantastic ground mobility and you should abuse it as much as possible. You do a decent job of punishing Marth's whiffed attacks, and you can induce many more of those by learning to move aggressively and fake him out on the ground.
Also, try to use wallrides to sweetspot your firefox recoveries.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly Fox advice specifically, but you have to play faster. You drop a lot of dead frames by not acting out of things as fast as they can be acted out of. Like you'll nair and then stand there for a bit before your next action.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Not exactly Fox advice specifically, but you have to play faster. You drop a lot of dead frames by not acting out of things as fast as they can be acted out of. Like you'll nair and then stand there for a bit before your next action.
So true... this is due to a lack of practice and relying on muscle memory. I can do the basic techskill (shffl nair, shine, wavedash, grab) for example but it doesn't "flow"

I started to play a lot better than in this video at a weekly but only after like 3-4 hours of friendlies... I get wiped out pretty fast at brackets I usually win about 1-2 in winners, lose, then win a couple in losers and lose out.

Not content with mediocrity though. Schedule has been rough but I'm trying to find time to put in some solid time....

I appreciate the advice and totally agree about not doing things fast enough after I act... I'm playing wayyy to slow for a fox in this video. I was really nervous to be on stream so although I didn't do as well as I'd like to, I'm still glad I had the experience.

ButterSoftly

Smash Rookie
People have mentioned movement stuff which is a solid thing to work on. In addition to that I'd say work on approaches, particularly spacing aerials. There were a few times throughout this set that you approached with a Bair, missed because the hitbox is mostly behind you, and landed right in front of him for a free punish.

Another thing I'd say to work on is recovering after being comboed. I saw a few rogue get-up attacks that cost you some more damage.

Off-stage as well. There's not a whole lot you can do considering Marth's strong edgeguard game, but I did see a moment that I wanted to point out.

Where you are at this moment requires an awkward angle to sweetspot the ledge, and the Marth recognized this so he wavedashed back to setup for:

This moment right here, which ended the first game. There wasn't a lot of time to react to his wavedash back, but in certain cases like this I think you would have been better off going for a much higher angle, almost like: \
Which would have put you out of range for the f-smash/d-tilt, jab, or counter.

Totally forgot to mention: What are you doing counter picking Marth's to FD man???
Askin' for trouble ;) I don't think Fox necessarily has any "bad" matchups, but Marth on FD is a strong contender for the title

Last edited:

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
You really need to mix up what techs you use. I noticed you hardly tech rolled really any other tech except tech in place, when the Marth realized and punished accordingly. You do need to speed up there are too many times that you stopped and it makes for a really awkward situation, though I can sympathize because I'm pretty new and catch my self doing the same. You wavedash too much when you should be dash dancing or other movement options, not saying wavedashing is bad, but you need to use it more sparingly / incorporate it into your dash dancing or mix up what you do out of wavedash. Everything will really just come with experience.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wow thanks Buttersoftly, those are all really good pieces of advice..

I counterpoicked FD as a joke more than anything, I used to have a reputation for the whole fox only final destination thing XD

Really appreciate you going the extra step and including those screenshots! Ill work on my bair spacing for sure, and also the teching in place all the time that Bigotrycat mentioned.

RedQuelll

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedQuell
This, this, so much this. Hit the nail on the head. This was some slow fox gameplay! cmon' man! You are fox! lol. You have soooo many options out of nair that it leaves me going (yes hit him with the shine after that nair and follow up with a waveshine grab ect. ect.) yet you stand there. You are an offensive character so you need to apply the pressure bro. I also feel you played the match up rather crudely. With marth stay close or stay far and camp lasers (learn to utilize consistent shdl) You reacted to much when you need to be proactive as a fox player. There were some fundamental flubs like mixed l-cancels which will improve with time but also rather bad options. For example, nair is MUCH preffered to dash attack, the later being more of a mixup option. I mean...what can you do after a dash attack? Eat a f-smash? Instead of simply dash dancing in place use it to weave in and out, it's not for show, it's for baiting out whiffed attacks for the punish, incorporate some wavelands and wavedashes into that movement as well to keep your opponent guessing. 7:55 was EXCELLENT. More of that, less of stuff like 1:05. 7:55 is excellent because you protect yourself from marths HORRIFIC chaingrabs (you were eaten alive by them in this match) by pushing him away. You played well, please take what I say well and as constructive criticism :)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Going to bed now but I'm going to watch the the 7:55 part you mentioned there. Very good advice in general. I can SHDL actually once I get warmed up so I'll make sure to use it more when the opponent is backing off or camping a bit.

Top Bottom