• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Findings of the Comparisons Between Brawl and Smash 4

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
In comparison to Brawl and Smash 4 I have done a few number checks and some averaging to see how we are doing character announcement wise and release wise. All of the averages are based off of the start of daily updates on each games respective DOJO.

The first thing I did was average the number of days between the characters that have been announced for Smash 4 since its official unveiling at E3 2013. For the six characters we have seen to this point the average is 24.8 days. For the first six characters shown on the Brawl DOJO (not including characters already seen in the E3 2006 video but including Fox) the average was 11 days. I also got the average for each next set of six characters (and the last eight) and not once did the average go above Smash 4's 24.8 days. The total average of days between announcments for Brawl's characters was 11.4 days.

Now in regards to the first newcomer announcement outside of each games respective E3 trailer, for Brawl the wait was 71 days (counting from the day the daily updates started) and the character was Ike. For Smash 4 the amount of days is currently 158 and still counting. That is a little over double Brawls wait.

Based on when the daily updates began, 292 days passed before Brawl was released. (In North America) so for Japan it was two months less) Now from the start of the daily updates for Smash 4, 292 days would take us to March 30 of next year. Considering the delays Brawl experienced and the exclusion of a Subspace Emissary type story mode in Smash 4, the rumored release date of May 16 does not seem all too far fetched.

Some people may now argue this evidence with the year between the 2006 E3 video and the start of daily updates on Brawls DOJO. Considering Brawls development time, it started in late 2005. From then to its release (in the NA and even less in Japan) that is roughly two and a half years of development. Smash 4 went into development late 2011. From late 2011 to May 2014 is also roughly two and a half years. Again considering the loss of a full blown story mode in Smash 4, it really could be released pre-summer next year, a whole lot earlier than most people are anticipating.

Everyone can interpret this information however they want but what the point I want people to walk away with is do not completely throw aside the possibility of a April - July release date.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I still don't get why people doubt an earlier release like May or June. They really don't have to do that much in the "story" and cutscenes departments (which can take up a lot of time). Plus, they have namco bandai helping them out this time, so that will help cut the time down too (at least the time it would take for a well balanced game). Besides both of those, why would Sakurai be doing 5-day-a-week updates for more than a year. That would be overly tedious if smash was coming out in like 2015.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I think all the delays Brawl got has got some people nervous. I can certainly understand why.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
As much as I'd like the game to come out in May, I don't think that's the case (anymore). And I'm OK with that.

Brawl's marketing was very different from Sm4sh's one, so I don't think comparing the stream of updates makes much sense. I'm just happy we didn't have to wait almost an entire year to get new information, this time around.

Top Bottom