• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Falcon is getting brutalized.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Alright, here's the deal, I can pretty much hold my own with the local talent, except for the pros, but god does my Falcon get brutalized by this guy Vist who I play with alot. Here's my problems:

1) Vist is eats shield like it was ****ing candy. No johns I'm rolling places that I don't need to be rolling against his LUIGI panking me with uptilt jab techchase downsmash upair. I know I shield too much, but against Vist it's like why bother?

2) Vist's alternate gamer tag is "Laser Campin McDewche", and if he's playing Sheik replace Laser with Needle. If we're on Pokestadium, he'll laser camp from the right platform, dancing back and forth to the center of the stage, where there is no way I can approach him without eating some lasers.

-Vist does approach, and often, but only when he hits me with a laser or spots an opportunity.

3) When he hits me with a laser, he's instantly all over my ****, stealing MewTwo's Teleport into a pillar or something else. I'm getting better at DIing shines and dairs, stuff but actually getting a hit in requires something ridiculous to happen.

4) I can't seem to internalize combos on most of his characters. I'm getting there, I practice vs. Level 1s for an hour every day, but the combos just don't come. Vist DI's well as well, which gives me alot of trouble, because the other human practice I get has mediocre DI and just spams sex kicks and similar to get out of combos. Particularly I'm stuffing myself by missing a dash after a down or up throw, but whatever the reason, I almost never get that clutch knee that is so crucial on spacies.

5) I find that after about 15 mins of playing him and realizing that he is better than me and that I can't beat his game (I maybe won two matches against his good characters out of easily thirty), I start losing my mindgames, and just start throwing out techs like platform dashes that have mediocre success rate. I'm also trying to do them at Isai speeds to escape his gayzors and occasionally get stuck in an airdodge. I'm also flying across the stage with knees and nairs and dairs that never will ever work, and Vist knows he can just dashdance around it all day and does do.

6) I'm messing up WD out of shield timings, does anyone know a good way to practice this? Particularly I need the timings down to get WD grabs in on Sheik's downsmash, to escape a Nair or Dair pressure from Falco/Fox (lasers too), and to grab Marth out of everything.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
1. Contact G-reg for help against Luigi because I don't have enough (any) experience to help you with that. All I can say is mix up your techs and sometimes don't even tech. Variety is key.

2. Platforms! Use the platforms to get to him. And I can guarantee that everyone eats some lasers or needles during matches, even pros. A few here and there isn't too bad. Just use the platforms to get to him. If he decides to go over the platform, fall under and UAir. Otherwise DAir. If he runs to the other side, stay on the platforms, or run of and land an aeiral if you can.

3. DI and tech. Not much else to say.

4. Don't go for any long, amazing combos. Get the job done fast. Also, there is no way his DI is good enough to escape some of the knee combos, like stomp > knee or UThrow > knee. Those are inescapable at certain percents. Learn the percents and perform them there. Sure, it's boring and repetitive, but it works.

5. He's just getting to you. You're intimadated and frustrated. Just tell yourself you've done this match up millions of times before and calm down. Play smart.

6. I have trouble with that, too. I recommend using one trigger for shield and the other for wavedashing. I use the same one and that's what messes me up.

I know this wasn't that much help or anything, but I tried.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Yea the wavedash out of shield with one button is annoying. But I've gotten better by holding down the shoulder button but only the springy part not the button at the bottom and then pressing that button when I want to wavedash.

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
i learned how to wd out of the shield with one button by playing in super slow mo in training and just increasing the speed as it got easier.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
an awesome trick vs luigi is z-shield edgeguarding.
when he recovers with forward b, if he hits your shield, you will drop to the edge. then you can ledgehop reverse knee or whatever. on the up b it will simply edgehog him.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Biggest problem is that when I hop on a platform against Falco, he hops on the corresponding platform on the other side then just reacts to what I do. His Dair ***** all of my approaches, unless I fly across the stage and try to get him on the platform, in which case he either hops over me or drops through.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Alright, here's the deal, I can pretty much hold my own with the local talent, except for the pros, but god does my Falcon get brutalized by this guy Vist who I play with alot. Here's my problems:

1) Vist is eats shield like it was ****ing candy. No johns I'm rolling places that I don't need to be rolling against his LUIGI panking me with uptilt jab techchase downsmash upair. I know I shield too much, but against Vist it's like why bother?

2) Vist's alternate gamer tag is "Laser Campin McDewche", and if he's playing Sheik replace Laser with Needle. If we're on Pokestadium, he'll laser camp from the right platform, dancing back and forth to the center of the stage, where there is no way I can approach him without eating some lasers.

-Vist does approach, and often, but only when he hits me with a laser or spots an opportunity.

3) When he hits me with a laser, he's instantly all over my ****, stealing MewTwo's Teleport into a pillar or something else. I'm getting better at DIing shines and dairs, stuff but actually getting a hit in requires something ridiculous to happen.

4) I can't seem to internalize combos on most of his characters. I'm getting there, I practice vs. Level 1s for an hour every day, but the combos just don't come. Vist DI's well as well, which gives me alot of trouble, because the other human practice I get has mediocre DI and just spams sex kicks and similar to get out of combos. Particularly I'm stuffing myself by missing a dash after a down or up throw, but whatever the reason, I almost never get that clutch knee that is so crucial on spacies.

5) I find that after about 15 mins of playing him and realizing that he is better than me and that I can't beat his game (I maybe won two matches against his good characters out of easily thirty), I start losing my mindgames, and just start throwing out techs like platform dashes that have mediocre success rate. I'm also trying to do them at Isai speeds to escape his gayzors and occasionally get stuck in an airdodge. I'm also flying across the stage with knees and nairs and dairs that never will ever work, and Vist knows he can just dashdance around it all day and does do.

6) I'm messing up WD out of shield timings, does anyone know a good way to practice this? Particularly I need the timings down to get WD grabs in on Sheik's downsmash, to escape a Nair or Dair pressure from Falco/Fox (lasers too), and to grab Marth out of everything.
1. You don't need to shield often vs Luigi. None of his attacks pose huge threats because his hitboxes are so small. You'd be amazed what spamming Nair will do. Seriously just try spamming perfectly SHFFLed Nairs, he WILL NOT get in very easily. It's a very safe move vs Luigi. I use it vs ORLY all the time, spamming Nair is AngeloBangelo approved.

2. Lasers take frames up. If you are decently fast, you can run after he lasers. Assuming he's hopping them, take note of what he does after you run after him and take note of what he does. Most people will either spot dodge or roll away. Keep it in mind, run into him when he's lasering, assume he's going to roll/dodge like before and stomp him out of it if he's Fox/Falco. This leads into a raptor boost, into a grab, into a Dthrow (He'll miss the tech if he's used to Uthrows, best case scenario) and hopefully you can knee him. If he's at a high percentage, no reason to delay death. Just Dair into knee. For Sheik it's worse obviously, because needles suck, especially with no platforms. The best you can do is just stay in the air, throw out aerials and land behind sheik using Dairs or bairs.

Wait... They might be falco lasers! Oh noes! In that case, just basically stay above him and try to land aerials and land behind him similar to Sheik. He has to create space between you to make lasers effective, which gives you an opportunity to follow him with a Nair. Nairs make me very happy vs Falco.

3. Yeah, **** Falco's lasers into pillars. Tapion was giving me more than a handful with that bull****. I could only really do two things:

3a. Cry in the corner begging him for mercy

3b. Roll a lot as he approached and try to keep little space between us and smother him with Nairs.

4. If you can't combo him in the air, combo him from the ground. When I was losing my ability to combo characters in the air because of horridly amazing DI on my opponents part, I'd run to the spot they'd land, dash dance, and follow their tech with an Isai stomp and combo them out of that instead of something a little more difficult like a Nair, Uair, etc etc.

5. Don't lose your focus. I can never beat people like Tapion but I still try against him. I know going in that he's better than me. He's put much more time into this game than I have and it definitely shows when he plays against me. Instead of focusing on beating him every game, focus on playing through the game decently, but mostly just look for patterns he has that you can abuse in later games. What do you have to do to make him roll? Which direction does he tech most often? When thrown to an edge, does he usually tech towards or away from the edge? Does he ledgehop attacks very often? How often, when he's running at you, does he follow up with an attack? 100%? If so, you can definitely use this to your advantage because everytime he's coming at you, you know an attack is coming. What attack is it usually, that he throws out when you're standing on the ground? What about when you're both in the air?

6. Only way to get better is to practice a lot. A lot, a lot a lot. After you practice it, start doing it vs lvl 1 comps trying to use it effectively in game. Then you have to constantly think about it in mid-game unfortunately, but it will become habit eventually. Then you can focus on bettering your game in different situations after that becomes habit.

I think I covered everything... I hope that helped some.

technomancer

Smash Champion
bangelo is a monster, thanks

blaxinox we shall play tonight!!!!!!!1117

Notes on #6: I can WD out of shield fine (I use two buttons, very easy and frees up your right hand a bit better), the technique isn't the problem, but I don't have a training buddy to sit there and spam Dsmashes for me to practice on, I was wondering if there was a way to get the timing down without? Maybe shield motion sensor bombs and practice wding out of those?

pdk

Smash Lord
lay the second controller on the floor and flick the c-stick with your toes for that smash escape training, you'll look like a fool but it'll be totally awesome!

Top Bottom