• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My eyes have been opened.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Before you read this, keep in mind that I am, by your standards, a newbie, so please douse your readied flames.

It all finally makes sense.

Back in Melee, none of my troupe used advanced tactics, but we all considered outselves... well, our own definition of "competitive." Of course we didn't know how wrong we were at the time, but I digress. All of our matches were played with items on, and time after time I would get my *** kicked. Of course, this trend continued somewhat when we all made the switch to Brawl. After coming here and learning of how Smash is really played, the reason for my losses became more apparent. While items are fun and crowdpleasing, such trivialities aren't really relevant to the task at hand. So last weekend, I finally said to the guys, "let's turn items off. Leave it up to pure skill."

...Holy **** did I whoop ***... for the most part. Not to say my teammates don't have skill themselves. I bow to you, SmashBoards. No longer will I let Smash Balls, hammers, or any of those keep me from my victory.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
cool storyish kinda thing. welcome to the true competitive scene lol. glad to hear that you are and enjoy working on your skill now. i dont really like items that much, but some games with smashballs every now and then is fun :)

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
They are not keeping you from victory really; they are increasing the variance of the possibility of victory, which is unnecessary. Suppose the probability of you destroy your opponent is x, then with items, that will likely change to x plus/minus y. The uncertainty is not necessary. The better player should win, thus items are off.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I don't care much for competitive Smash gaming, but nice story. That's not to say I don't play to win, I do, but Smash is a party game at heart.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
Did you for some reason completely ignore all the items while your friends used them constantly? Items do make a difference in isolated circumstances, but they appear all over the level and randomly. There's no reason why you would be the only one to suffer from their inclusion. Items do require skill, it's just not the kind of skill tournament smashers test and train for.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Did you for some reason completely ignore all the items while your friends used them constantly? Items do make a difference in isolated circumstances, but they appear all over the level and randomly. There's no reason why you would be the only one to suffer from their inclusion. Items do require skill, it's just not the kind of skill tournament smashers test and train for.
No, it went back and forth with items, but it seemed the only reason I was losing most of my matches was because of an item.

Mushy

Smash Cadet
well i actually liked items
in the fact that it created total randomness=fun matches.
now there is no "very high" setting, and items arent' as common.
I actually think the main problem items arent as fun is the extremely gimped motion sensor bomb. that thing was FUN, but now it's extremely rare and disappears quickly.

don't get me wrong, no items create the best fighting game, but random, unexpected victories are the best.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
...how Smash is really played...
The way Smash is "really played" is the way you were doing it: multiplayer matches with your friends, with the items you want and the stages you want. Don't be corrupted by the competitive types!

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
They are not keeping you from victory really; they are increasing the variance of the possibility of victory, which is unnecessary. Suppose the probability of you destroy your opponent is x, then with items, that will likely change to x plus/minus y. The uncertainty is not necessary. The better player should win, thus items are off.
[sarcasm]Ohh we have a genius[/sarcasm]

Ichida

Smash Ace
The way Smash is "really played" is the way you were doing it: multiplayer matches with your friends, with the items you want and the stages you want. Don't be corrupted by the competitive types!
I'd rather be "corrupted" than continue to lose for stupid reasons. I don't intend to become a cocky prick like most competitive players, though.

pirkid

Smash Lord
You can play the game however you want, Curry Metal Slow Special Coin Brawl with Dragoon pieces only, nothing but Smash Balls on Low (Like meh), or no items at all.

However. Be prepared for the online community of No Items, Fox only, Final Destination.

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
You can play the game however you want, Curry mMetal Slow Speicla Coin Brawl with Dragoon pieces only, nothing but Smash Balls on Low (Like meh), or no items at all.

However. Be prepared for the online community of No Items, Fox only, Final Destination.

lol at fox =/

Marie_54

Smash Ace
You know what honestly pisses me off? Smash Balls... Its a thing of luck and even if i get it,it feels so cheap to kill so easily(depends what char of course)... I had a brawl party today and i went to one last week and I was the only one who wanted to turn off smash balls and so they didn't... Argh...

One of the things i loved about smash bros. was that it was raw battles without any cheapo SUPER MEGA MORTAL BANKAI HIDDEN POWER WTFS that slow down the game play IMO. It takes a while to activate it and some require little or no input from the user and/or victim and i don't know about you guys but for me its quite annoying to stop playing and stay on an edge because there is a huge piece of ice in the middle of the stage or running away from a huge octopus that makes scary noises and wants to **** you.

I do like landmasters though... Especially when they appear on a small stage and blow up...

Brawl VS. Physics is quite amusing...

Vijin

Smash Ace
Before you read this, keep in mind that I am, by your standards, a newbie, so please douse your readied flames.

Back in Melee, none of my troupe used advanced tactics, but we all considered outselves... well, our own definition of "competitive." Of course we didn't know how wrong we were at the time, but I digress. All of our matches were played with items on, and time after time I would get my *** kicked. Of course, this trend continued somewhat when we all made the switch to Brawl. After coming here and learning of how Smash is really played, the reason for my losses became more apparent. While items are fun and crowdpleasing, such trivialities aren't really relevant to the task at hand. So last weekend, I finally said to the guys, "let's turn items off. Leave it up to pure skill."

...Holy **** did I whoop ***... for the most part. Not to say my teammates don't have skill themselves. I bow to you, SmashBoards. No longer will I let Smash Balls, hammers, or any of those keep me from my victory.
Grats... next step: Learn wavedashing and L-Canceling :-D

Or if you're just sticking with brawl... play smart!

Vijin

Smash Ace
Corrupted? Haha, no, he's seen the light.
If he can see smash bros melee/brawl as more than just a fighting game, then all the more power to him.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
OP: That's the thing about items. It can turn the whole game around! A part of the reason why I like the series is items, but I'd turn them off, too, if they kept killing me. (Of course you'd have to be a pretty unlucky person if they did.)

Personally I'm kind of reckless with items. I'll risk suicide bombing a flame crate if it means my opponent(s) might die. But they work for me as much as they do against me, so I ultimately have no problem with them, hehehe.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move

There is no such thing as how Smash is "Really Played" Despite what some random no name scrub who wants to pretend he knows what he's talking about, there is no right or wrong way to play smash. If your playing competitively to prove skill/for money, there is the generally accepted rule set, however the way YOU play is up to YOU and as such, nothing on these boards should be taken as law.

dan smith

Smash Champion
there is no right or wrong way to play smash.
If you have items on, you're doing it wrong.

I went and joined some guys I know recently to play Brawl, not knowing how they played. When I got there they had all items on high. I played two matches, won both, and got the eff out of there. Items are random, items will spawn and give a huge advantage to one player, become more challenging than your opponents, or explode in your face.

You might as well roll a dice to decide who wins. People say it's fun, but those people are wrong.

More importantly though, items make matches more about successfully avoiding the dude with the hammer or killing your opponent by chucking items at them instead of using your character's moves well. With items, you can easily supplement your character's weaknesses with the vast array of random nonsense instead of learning to work around any given characters flaws. Every character has endless projectiles and strong smashes.

Plus, Mr. Resetti...is just...awful.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
@Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat: ummm...there is no wrong or right way to play...and the competitive rules are only for money matches...besides there are alot of people who like to play with that ruleset anyway...and items are equally as fun...but I think that playing with items on 1v1 matches is boring...items on 2v2 or free for all is better....in my opinion...

@dan smith: there is no wrong way to play...its just YOUR wrong way to play...just let other people do what they think is fun since this game can be played as either a party game or a fighting game...which is why Smash is frikin awesome...

Anarchist_Chase

Smash Cadet
i can do great on pure skill, but i still love having items in. i use just about anything to use in my combos.

thorshand

Smash Rookie
Great story : ) I was the same way a year ago. I play smash nightly now with my roommates and friends

ska5fe

Smash Rookie
I'm a social Smash Bros player (by no means competitive), but since I got Brawl I've been playing with items off, and loving it. Through N64 and Melee, my friends and I always played with items on. That's changed for me now. I found that I dislike the randomness of items, they warp and distort the true skill of the players. I think occasionally I'll still play with Items set to Low (and certain ones turned off) for some light-hearted playing, but I can't go back to having all items on, set to Normal.

mthegreatone

Smash Cadet
smash ball is great when you're playing with other people who are casual. other than that it couldn't hurt to be a little competitive from time to time.

that's why i'm here as well. Spring break is upon us, and i want the chance to practice this baby.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
I'm a social Smash Bros player (by no means competitive), but since I got Brawl I've been playing with items off, and loving it. Through N64 and Melee, my friends and I always played with items on. That's changed for me now. I found that I dislike the randomness of items, they warp and distort the true skill of the players. I think occasionally I'll still play with Items set to Low (and certain ones turned off) for some light-hearted playing, but I can't go back to having all items on, set to Normal.

ska5fe

Smash Rookie
That sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it...:bee:

japtar10101

Smash Apprentice
I was whooped when items were off usually -_-. But in any case, I support your call: Items off gives greater satisfaction to multiplayer gameplay.

Now if only we can get rid of those random hazards in some courses....

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
My only beef with this thread is that items/no items is neither right nor wrong. I agree that in serious competitive circumstances items should be off. However, in casual play that doesn't count for anything, the best players will "rise to the top" over the course of many matches, even though they will lose by luck sometimes. Turning items off can't "open your eyes" as is being stated, nor will it suddenly make you the best smasher in your circle.

Top Bottom