• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My essay to SmashTom

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
This is my essay to smashtom in order to convince him to join smashboards/ stop confusing people new to the online smash scene/ people similar to him/ for everyone here to stop flaming him. First I followed smashtom, then I joined smashboards and flamed him, now (after maturing a little) I realized what I did (and what everyone else did) was wrong. We here at smashboards shouldn't have bullied him and force him to play w/ adv. techs. At first looking at that bullying made me NOT want to play with adv. techs. since I was a firm believer that the game was made for fun and not wavedashing (I believed in shffls however since something similar existed in the first ssb.) I posted this essay in smashtom's profile comments. Please don't flame him or me. If it was innapropriate to post this here then I will delete this post and a mod will close this. I myself am a newcomer to the smash scene (Ignore my join date, I first tried to join but my computer wouldn't let me sign on. I regret that since I would now be much better at this game). Please remember that it is his choice to do what he want with this game. The main reason I'm posting this so he doens't mislead more people like what happened to me (and many other people from what I've read here).

If he actually does join smashboards (I highly doubt it after all his history with members of this site) please don't make fun of him. This could be a new age of smash (esp. with brawl having the possibility of being online). Many newcomers and people new to the tournament scene will reject the adv. smash if we, the smash community don't learn to accept them into our community and teach them. Here is my original essay posted on smashtom's comments page. Feel free to read the comments other people made to this essay as well since it will give us an idea. Again I'm not only looking to help smashtom, but to help everyone else that wants to improve in this game and increase the amount of fun they want to have. I'm not entirely familiar with what happened with smashtom (I only found a few posts flaming his movies and on mentioning that he was only joking but the problem still exists.

This is the place where I posted it followed by the actual essay:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SmashTom

(This is divided in several comments since youtube has limits)Look I'm just trying to help here so please don't delete my comment. I was once at the same level as you about 6 months ago. I only know two people that I can play smash with (one doesn't even have a gamecube). I was tired of losing to my friends (since my main was Ness lol). I watched some of your vids and I noticed some of the things people were saying about you so I kinda was concerned. Then I found (again) a website called smashboards. Now I know that a lot of people there dislike you because of the vids you put up (I understand some of their reasons). You don't have to play smash competively to learn your techniques. Go to smashboards. The advanced techs will only add to the fun of the game, not take any away from it. I know I started to own my friends immediately after I went to smashboards. Even if you don't have time to practice, reading up on some of the mindgames and techniques are good. And it can be fun to join a community of people who enjoy this game as much as you do. Just because you use adv. techniques doesn't mean you can have fun. I apologize for all the people getting mad at you and calling you a noob and **** like that, but in some cases their arguement has a point. When I first saw your vids (esp. your combo vids) they confused me into thinking that fighting the comp. to practice is good. When I went to smashboards I learned the opposite. You should put a disclaimer, esp. on your older vids saying that fighting a comp. doesn't improve your game or something so it doesn't mislead people who are just getting into the game. Sorry about the wall of text it's just that this has been building up on smashboards ever since you released your combo vids. BTW all of my friends, even some that used to not like the game, now play with advanced techniques (or try to at least). Attached is a vid of my versing my friend. Do you know what the yo-yo glitch is? Go to smashboards and find out. Again sorry for the wall of text.

I doubt anyone except mabye some serious smashers will read this entire post but this issue is still extremely important. If brawl is online, and the majority of the professional smash community rejects or refuses to help the newcomers then it will end up hurtiing it in the long run. Since the smash competitive scene is so small compared to other professional game scenes (such as Halo), we need all the players we can get. Look at how many people have joined smashboards. Look at how many people have bought ssbm (it still is a good selling game even thought the wii is out). That is a large untapped reasource. The current attitude of professional smash players to "noobs" and vice versa is unhealthy for the game. The reason this essay is so long is because this is so much more important. I hear many people complaining about a lack of a smash scene in their area, or that they have to drive so far for a tourney. Chudats house is literally thirteen minutes away from my house, yet I never knew until I saw his biweekly thread.

I hope this thread doesn't sink to the bottom of the forum and nobody ends up reading it. There is still so much more I want to talk about. I hear about all this stuff everytime I go to the brawl forums (which is why I don't go there anymore).

Y'all can comment now (after you read the entire thing) *prepares to get flamed*

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Basically I'm saying that if the smash community doesn't open up and be nicer to newer players then it will never grow and if what happend with the transition from ssb to ssbm (fans got divided). It might actually improve the smash scene and help it grow. That's the basic summary of my post. What do you mean?

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
why do you care so much about smashtom? if he really loves smash that much, he'd go to tournaments...people only flame him, because of how bad his tutorials are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom