• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Donkey Kong experience.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
This thread is really just a casual essay on why i play donkey kong, despite all the arguments over his tier-placement, melee vs. brawl DK, etc. The fact of the matter is that I play Donkey Kong because I love the character, and I enjoy using him over any other character.

You can say that the release of Brawl, though it sparked a love for smash in me, tainted my previously naive and pure thinking about the video game. Back in the days of melee, I had no interest in competitive play, didn't even play that often, and had never heard of the term tier. I had no knowledge of advanced tactics and usually only played when I was at my best friend's house, whose been a smash fanboy since the '64 days. I chose to play with Donkey Kong, unwary of the stigma so many people held against him for being "low-tier." My friend mained Luigi and eventually Ness, and pwned my *** on a regular basis, but I still enjoyed the game. Donkey Kong had always been my favorite Nintendo character, and still is to this day.

Then Brawl came along. I suppose you can consider me one of the excess noobs regurgitated in the mass popularity of the game after its release, but I think my work (thus far) in this thread is objective enough to not be considered some nonsense uttered by some kid who's ape**** (pun intended) over a game that is a relatively new interest. I like to think that I stand out amongst other noobs in that I form my own thoughts and not just jump on any band-wagon. In any event, Brawl has become a new passion for me.

I went through phases in a developmental journey that I hope will eventually lead to me playing competitively. Upon the first time playing the game, I, of course, used Donkey Kong and was ***** (because I was a poor player, not because of Donkey Kong). However, for whatever reason (perhaps just because the game is so enjoyable) a spark set in me to get better. I studied up on Smash history and got additional help from my friend, who proudly considers me his protege. I learned about tiers and their controversy in the Smash community, all the while improving my smash skills.

I must admit, I was a little caught up on the whole tier thing at first. Brainwashing, if you will, made me come to the conclusion that I might be better suited playing a different character. My first choice was Diddy Kong, mostly because he was another DK character and was a blast to play with. However, I decided that I wanted to play a heavyweight character, and thusly chose King Dedede. Again, playing with the king was a blast, and I went through a stint where I considered him my main and the focal character for my training. I had used Smashboards as a resource frequently when trying to learn things about Diddy and D3, but had never visited the Donkey Kong forums.

I don't want to make this argumentative over the current state of tiers in the smash, but for a time I really did believe that Donkey Kong could never get me to where I desired. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed playing him the most. Call it appeal, but the stigma in some players (or most, considering that the only other character discussion pages with less posts than this one is jigglypuff's) against Donkey Kong drew me back. I wanted to use a character that I not only love the most but would set me apart from the mass amounts of campy metaknights and pits and snakes. (Ok, that wasn't completely objective...so sue me, lol). An official tier list from some greater power could come down from the great beyond and place DK as the worst character in the game, and I'd still play him.

A rather important point I must make is that when I returned to DK, my game improved. I'm not sure if i'm trying to make a point, per say, but from my perspective it seems the best player comes out when he chooses the character he likes the most. Hey, maybe a lot of prissy wannabe dudes out there like circles with batwings and a sword, or an angel who had one game a million years ago, but I'll take a big *** ape over that anyday.

This may be too sentimental to be seen by others as anything else but the ramblings of some guy who uses DK. But hopefully Leprechaun_Drunk will one day be regarded as a contending DK in competitive play.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
That rambling noob who wrote this essay...
Well say what you want, but he is MY noob >.>
Pimps of the Jungle *does the very inappropriate handshake with Tj*

Yea, you been doing so much better lately, I can't really teach you much more, now its all about mindgames and developing your own playstyle, but you made a Diddy Kong, little pk boy obsessed freak proud ^.^

ook

Smash Lord
Kinda the same here man. I used to use DK in melee, and when Brawl came along I thought Dedede would be my main so I started using him for a while. I thought he was good, but every once in a while I would use DK again for fun. Then I realized that I was actually a lot better with DK, and liked using him more. So, I ditched Dedede and came back to the ol' gorilla.

DK rules

Top Bottom