• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Disk is Trashed

Count Blumiere

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoldenShenlong
3DS FC
3626-2521-5293
As I was playing Melee, on the road to unlocking Young Link, errors suddenly started occurring. I take care of my game discs well, but noticed some scratches on it, contrasting my usual care. I was told to rub the scratches with toothpaste, but the rubbing just caused numerous more scratches.

I prayed that that was the normal surface of the disk, so I put it in, and sure enough, it didn't work at all. Is there anything else I can do to help it work again? I've unlocked so much and done alot already, and I cannot replace it, as it was purchased far more than 90 days ago.

Joski

Smash Rookie
You should use just plain white tooth paste and see if that works. Also memory is saved on the card, not the disc. So if you do have to replace it, all progress will be saved :).

Y-L

Smash Champion
Make sure to also test it on a different system. I got read errors on one of my disks then I found out it was the gamecube sensor that was busted.

Count Blumiere

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoldenShenlong
3DS FC
3626-2521-5293
I did test it out on a different game, Luigi's Mansion, yet it still worked perfectly.

Shreke

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeke_h
Some game stores can do this fancy thing where they can "buffer" the disk and make it work like new, see if any place around you has something like that ;) I know it sounds dumb but ive had it done to many of the games from my childhood i trashed and they all work great now :D

Count Blumiere

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoldenShenlong
3DS FC
3626-2521-5293
Well, apparantly, I've stumbled upon a solution. I put it in my Wii to try it out on there, and it works PERFECTLY, as far as I have seen. Perhaps the Wii has a more powerful sensor?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Well, apparantly, I've stumbled upon a solution. I put it in my Wii to try it out on there, and it works PERFECTLY, as far as I have seen. Perhaps the Wii has a more powerful sensor?
Like I said before, might just be the cube that is going bad

Count Blumiere

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoldenShenlong
3DS FC
3626-2521-5293
Nevermind, it worked for a little bit, until it finally errored at the end of Classic Mode as Ganondorf, RIGHT when I was about to unlock Young Link.

Last edited:

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
first of all toothpaste kills disc, atleast from my experience. I'm going to guess that you don't feel like shelling out tons of money on a new disc. You can try windex, looking for a place that buffers like mentioned before( even though its super rare now of days for it to not destroy gamecube discs due to their size) or netplay could be an option

Count Blumiere

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoldenShenlong
3DS FC
3626-2521-5293
Well, apparantly that crashing on the Wii was a one-time thing, it works perfectly again now. I was able to unlock all characters, complete all Events, do all Target Tests, and it only crashed once or twice.

Top Bottom