• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My constant character crisis

JacK from Canada

Smash Rookie
Hello it's me again, Jackson here and I know I may sound like a broken record, but

I DON"T KNOW WHO TO PLAY?

This has been my problem since 2016. No matter who no feels "right", I don't vibe with anyone and believe me I've tried pretty much everyone. Like its getting to a point where I'm starting to feel like I will never fix this issue as long as I play Melee.

It's been a 2 year character crisis

OK I've been playing Marth in tournament for 3 weeks and not finding enjoyment, I'm only playing him cause others say I'm good at him. I don't know where to go from here and my enjoyment is starting to wane.

Last edited:

Quazwx

Smash Rookie
Then try to have passion for other things, if that makes any sense

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Just play every character. Until I found my groove with Luigi I played 3 different mains and 4 secondaries and I sucked. The only way to find your main is to try everything else first and see what works.

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
i had this problem for a couple years so i might be able to help, 2 things helped me figure out who to main. The first was my play style.I never put much thought into smash before so I had to figure out my play style, and to do that it was mainly what top player I wanted to play like, For me that's Ice (but ill never get that good). The other factor was the players around me that led me to picking fox. My current practice partners are marth and puff, and samus wasn't getting me far. I had played everyone within the top 12 or so and just couldn't hook anyone. I finally decided to pick purely on match-up stats and ended up feeling really comfortable with fox. (Kinda tired while writing this and can help more if you have further questions)

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
This video (While yes, it is made for Smash 4), talks about the play style of different groups of characters. Maybe if you can determine what kind of player you are, you could pick a character from said groups.

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
I find low tiers pretty fun. Many people only stick to the top tiers, but lower tier characters like :yoshimelee: can be viable and fun.

That’s why my secondary is :pichumelee:.

Good luck finding a character!

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
If you are like me, try to find an aspect of a character that is super fun for you or interesting. This aspect can be anything: gimmicks, strong moves, air/ground movement specs, etc.

Choosing character from a general playstyle is not a bad idea, but it can lead to mental restrictions and lock-downs later on, so watch out.

Major Edit - The good people of SSBM tutorials has a playlist for your exact struggles :):

Also check out Core-A-Gaming ;):

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Who says you have to have a main? It isn't for everyone. Just play with whoever you want, and you may naturally just find yourself using a character or two more than the others. I did that and ended on a Jigglypuff primary, Ness secondary (not even copying HBox, but that goes to show you there are certain playstyles); I would be shocked if I changed again, but I won't count out the possibility.

GatGoat

Smash Cadet
i mainly play falco cause hes a top tier as well as stylish, as well as having 2 secondaries falcon and dk (everyone needs a low tier pick, its tradition). but most important thing you should note is that for the most part they have similar moves, weight properties, jump frames and other frame data. This makes it easier to switch characters mid-set and still play well. There are other characters that compliment each other in this way that arent necessarily obvious such as Marth/Doc, Fox/Pikachu and even Sheik/Samus/Luigi. Just experiment with who feels the most natural to you (who youll progress the fastest with) then pick a secondary who plays similar but still fun for you

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
i mainly play falco cause hes a top tier as well as stylish, as well as having 2 secondaries falcon and dk (everyone needs a low tier pick, its tradition). but most important thing you should note is that for the most part they have similar moves, weight properties, jump frames and other frame data. This makes it easier to switch characters mid-set and still play well. There are other characters that compliment each other in this way that arent necessarily obvious such as Marth/Doc, Fox/Pikachu and even Sheik/Samus/Luigi. Just experiment with who feels the most natural to you (who youll progress the fastest with) then pick a secondary who plays similar but still fun for you
It's better to stick to one character if you want to get good really fast, but preferably one that is viable. Anyone in the top 12 can place well.

GatGoat

Smash Cadet
It's better to stick to one character if you want to get good really fast, but preferably one that is viable. Anyone in the top 12 can place well.
youre absolutely right about sticking to one character, although i honestly believe we could push that number to 14 viable characters, but anyway some people cant resist switching characters... so im just revealing the least detrimental way of doing it

Last edited:

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
youre absolutely right about sticking to one character, although i honestly believe we could push that number to 14 viable characters, but anyway some people cant resist switching characters... so im just revealing the least detrimental way of doing it
yeah definitely

Top Bottom