• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Captain Falcon is too aggressive.

MrGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrGuyu
Like the title says, my Falcon can be too aggressive. At first, it all works out, I'm always eager to land combos which I mostly do, but after a while, I know that my opponent knows how I will approach him. Either I go directly for him, or I bait out my opponent into making a move. But after that, that's literally all there is for me. I don't know how else to go in for the kill. My opponent will always find out how I play. Any advice?

Last edited:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
It's worth noting that Falcon can Dthrow>Uair>Knee characters around 55%. If you know the timing for each character and know when to buffer dashes prior against opponents who DI, you can easily get it to land as a true combo. As in, it's impossible to mash out of it or air dodge. It's strict timing, but if you get use to the timing, you can easily get some quick kills in.

Also, Dthrow>Knee works on almost everyone at 60-80%.

You should be using lots of throws regardless of your playstyle. Falcon is a fast character and you should be abusing the fact that he has the best grab in the game.

MrGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrGuyu
It's worth noting that Falcon can Dthrow>Uair>Knee characters around 55%. If you know the timing for each character and know when to buffer dashes prior against opponents who DI, you can easily get it to land as a true combo. As in, it's impossible to mash out of it or air dodge. It's strict timing, but if you get use to the timing, you can easily get some quick kills in.

Also, Dthrow>Knee works on almost everyone at 60-80%.

You should be using lots of throws regardless of your playstyle. Falcon is a fast character and you should be abusing the fact that he has the best grab in the game.
Yeah I definitely do include Dthrows, but that still requires me to run up to the opponent. Should I just sit back and wait to see what my opponent does after a while of rushing in?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
That's what I usually do. Throwing out Uair at certain percentages is always good because it true combos after 50%, but Falcon has the potential to stay under opponents after they use their second jump. Once you familiarize yourself with a character's air speed, you can do things like short hop > Uair as they're about to land and most characters can't do anything about it except try to trade hits with Uair (which rarely ever happens because our Uair is amazing), get hit or air dodge into the ground. If they air dodge into the ground, you're going to autocancel from hitting the ground first, so you can punish their landing lag from the air dodge with quite a few things.

It doesn't always work, but SHFFL Uair sets up for some pretty amazing stuff if someone's already used their second jump.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Just hop/dash/pivot around outside their reach for most characters to mix things up. See what they do when you go in a certain way, try to program your opponent. An effective way to approach on a normally safe attack from your opponent is to go in and quickly get the first kick of your nair out and grab confirm from it. So you'd be nearby and when they whiff something and you get the chance you do a landing nair (1st hit) which pops them up with enough time to get a free grab or a gentleman or a tilt or whatever fast thing you want to do.

If it's more punishable try going for the uair instead of the nair though, you can get easier kills from it imo. Falling uairs can lead into more uairs, utilts, stomps, knees; almost anything.

D

Deleted member 269706

I have this problem as well...Lately I've been winning more matches though, and I think it's because I'm experimenting with more stuff. I'd recommend watching other Falcon players and testing the techniques that they're using. Mix up your play style, and don't be afraid to lose. Honestly, it's way more important to learn something than to win. The other day, I was on For Glory, and went through a series of Falcon dittos with the same guy. This guy was incredible at landing the knee. Just by getting my ass kicked, I learned so many different set-ups to use the knee, as well as how predictable my own movement was.

NickC

Smash Rookie
Hey there! Maybe you can try changing up your own play style once you catch on that your opponent has started to adapt. Usually I go ham all the time- staying near the opponent always, nair/uair into jab-grab, upairs for days, but after a while depending on the player/character, they start to see what I'm going to do from a mile away. It helps to prepare for this by having either a slight change in setups like instead of using first hit of nair into jabs, because they will likely shield grab you, do an empty jump fast fall into grab. If they are waiting for a nair to hit their shield before they react with grab, they will likely be caught off guard by no attack hitting their shield. If little changes don't make a difference, try to rely on a change in neutral behavior. Usuaaaaaally what I end up doing is stop applying direct shield pressure and start doing empty jumps constantly, occasional (a lot) of back airs to hit them out of a dash if they commit to an offensive approach, and if the back air hits nothing, just quickly dash away and back to square one. Back air is godlike :>

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
you should change playstyle in mid game from a more aggresive falcon to an opprtunity traker and thinks like that and something more raptor boost is you secret weapon

perseus

Smash Rookie
Hey there! Maybe you can try changing up your own play style once you catch on that your opponent has started to adapt. Usually I go ham all the time- staying near the opponent always, nair/uair into jab-grab, upairs for days, but after a while depending on the player/character, they start to see what I'm going to do from a mile away. It helps to prepare for this by having either a slight change in setups like instead of using first hit of nair into jabs, because they will likely shield grab you, do an empty jump fast fall into grab. If they are waiting for a nair to hit their shield before they react with grab, they will likely be caught off guard by no attack hitting their shield. If little changes don't make a difference, try to rely on a change in neutral behavior. Usuaaaaaally what I end up doing is stop applying direct shield pressure and start doing empty jumps constantly, occasional (a lot) of back airs to hit them out of a dash if they commit to an offensive approach, and if the back air hits nothing, just quickly dash away and back to square one. Back air is godlike :>
This all the way - even though they might see the set up coming they dont see how it will begin because youre either rushing down or keeping the mind game strong. I think having a slight shift in movement will throw your opponents game off.

drumdog

Smash Rookie
I have this same problem. A friend of mine punishes me pretty hard actually since he plays a mean ness. So I just alternate dash attacks and grabs, with the game hinging on whether or not I am able to get my stage spike/meteor gimps or if I'm able to crowd him enough.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
i have a problem how to face spammers with falcom i had this problem since a long time but no im pissed off a guy won using just zelda teletransportation on a 3ds online tournament

Smash Ace
Guys. Falcon is supposed to be aggresive. If you get camped out, then try to jump over them and use your back air or neutral air to hit him. You can also easily abuse the fact that your dash grab is the best in the game. Falcon Kick is a good punish tool, and raptor boost can cover landings. Also, you have pretty good combos. D-throw to knee works from 60-80%. D-throw to U-air to U-air or Knee also works around 50%. If you notice your opponent airdodges a lot, then simply wait for the airdodge and punish with a knee. Below 20%, F-throw to dash attack and following up with up airs work. (If you want to get fancy, punsh airdodges with FALCON PUNCH!!!)

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Don't always dash, walk towards them too, try to make your movement really spastic so that they don't see stuff coming.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
remember fox trotting is your friend that and falcon kick
oh and i made a combo with the backwards soft knee to up air under the stage causing a stage spike xd

IrkenPPG

Smash Cadet
As a Falcon main, you need to find that right amount of aggressivness. You have to be aggressive but also be careful at the same time. Basically don't just run in and mash buttons randomly.

Top Bottom