• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Brawl Roster: 45 characters, No BS

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I figured I might as well make one of these now, because in a couple of weeks, it will be too late. I'll start off by listing the characters by series, then I'll explain my newcomer/unconfirmed choices further down the page. Just to be clear, this is pretty unbiased, because I hate some of these characters. I consider some Honorable mentions to still be in the running, but we can live without them. In some peoples opinion, parts of the roster will be BS. But this roster is hardly as unbelieveable or far-fetched as most of these threads are.

OK!

Mario
1.Mario
2.Luigi
3.Peach
4.Bowser Jr.
5.Bowser
6. Geno

Honorable Mentions
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Dr.Mario

Zelda
7. Link
8. Zelda/ Shiek
9. Ganondorf
10. WW Link

Honorable Mentions
Tingle
Skull Kid
Midna

Metroid
11. Samus/ Zamus
12. Ridley

Honorable Mentions
Dark Samus

Kirby
13. Kirby
14. Meta Knight
15. King Dedede

Pokemon
16. Pikachu
17. Jigglypuff
18. Mewtwo
19. PT
20. Lucario

Honorable Mentions
Pichu
Blaziken
Deoxys

DK
21. DK
22. Diddy

Honorable Mentions
Dixie
K. Rool

Starfox
23. Fox
24. Falco
25. Krystal

Honorable Mentions
Wolf
Andross

Mother
26. Lucas
27. Claus

Honorable Mentions
Ness

Fire Emblem
28. Ike
29. Marth
30. Micaiah

Honorable Mentions
Roy
Sigurd
Lyn
Black Knight
Micaiah

F-Zero
31. Captain Falcon

Honorable Mentions
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow

1 man series
32. Yoshi
33. Wario
34. Olimar
35. Ray
36. Isaac

Retro
37. Pit
38. Ice Climbers
39. Game & Watch
40. Takamaru

Honorable Mentions
Sukapon
Balloon Fighter
Little Mac

3rd party
41. Snake
42. Sonic
43. Bomberman
44. Megaman

Honorable Mentions
Pacman
Simon Belmont

45. THE TRUE WTF CHARACTER!

If the game had 50 characters…: Top 5 runner ups
K. Rool
Wolf
Ness
Sukapon
“FLAMEPROOF!!!” Tingle “FLAMPROOF!!!”

If the game had 30 characters…: SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIII!!!
Captain Falcon
Ridley
Luigi
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff

Characters I would dislike who I included anyways cuz I'm such a good guy
Bowser Jr.
WW. Link
Takamaru
Isaac

I decided not to include pictures, because it would make this first post way longer than it needs to be. Use google.

MARIO

Luigi- Admit it, he's already in the game.

Bowser Jr.- Seems popular enough to be in the game, and has several Mario games under his belt. Just one condition: NO SHADOW MARIO.

Geno- If you're anything like me, most of you had never heard of this guy before Brawl hype. He seems to be the fan pick, and I'm sure Sakurai is willing to oblige. Great moveset potential too.

Honorable Mentions
Waluigi- Has quite the following, myself included, but just isn't a prominent enough character in the Mario games. Hell of an AT though.

Toad- Had he not been Peach's B move, he'd be in the game hands down. Keep your eyes peeled, he may just show up after all.

Paper Mario- Don't get me wrong, I love the Paper Mario series. SPM is one of my favorite game of all time. I just hate the idea of having two Marios. i think Sakurai is trying to avoid things like that.

Dr. Mario- One of the "Must cut" clones. Makes sense to me.

ZELDA

Ganondorf- He'll probably have his sword or something, but basically the same idea as Luigi.

WW Link- While I hate the idea of repeat "characters", this one makes sense. Wind Waker was a great game, and while I can't think of an original moveset for the little guy, I expect him to make an appearance.

Honorable Mentions
Midna- Relevant to one game in the series, really not that interesting a character. I beat TP. Twice.
I know she's actually a hot green lady.
I still think she's a lame candidate compared to other characters in the Zelda games, and one that Sakurai will overlook. AND HELL NO TO WOLF LINK!

Skull Kid- One of my favorite Zelda characters, and perhaps the best known secondary character after Tingle. He would be awesome, and represent Majora’s Mask, but he will most likely be overlooked in favor of WW Link or the other two “Honorable Mentions”.

Tingle- The reasons are endless. Hugely popular in Japan, has two of his own games, generally hilarious, 4th most prominent character in the series. But because we Americans hate him, he's apparently been AT'd, although this is unconfirmed.

METROID

Ridley- He's awesome and all, but I added him mainly because one of his supporters has a gun to my head. He's the next Metroid rep, don't try to deny it.

Honorable Mentions
Dark Samus- I've played the Prime games. Dark Samus is Dark Link in Samus form. hardly original. I suppose if Metroid got three reps, which it won't, DS would be in the game.

POKEMON

Jigglypuff- Great moveset, one of the original 12. Nuff said.

Mewtwo- Great moveset, which sadly sucked in Melee. Despite what the prophets say, I'm confident he'll be back.

Lucario- That new Pokemon that everybody wants. Whatever...

Honorable Mentions
Pichu- Nobody wants you back. Go home Pichu.

Blaziken- That third generation Pokemon that everybody wanted for a while. Then people wanted somebody else. SEE LUCARIO.

Deoxys- Another new Pokemon that would have actually been really awesome. But was sadly one of the first to be Pokeball'd.

DONKEY KONG

Honorable Mentions
K. Rool- Don’t get me wrong, he has a decent chance, and Brawl’s villain roster could definitely use a boost. He’s a good character too, and has moveset potential. It’s just that I can’t see Sakurai adding another corrupt reptile monarch to the roster, especially one from a minor-ish franchise that already has two great reps.

Dixie Kong- She doesn’t belong on this list, but I added her anyway. It’s not that she’s unimportant to the franchise at all, she just doesn’t have much to offer beyond being a female Diddy. And while many suggested these monkey lovers team up like nana and popo, had this happened, the Ice Climbers fantastic team-based fighting would be hardly as unique as it was in Melee.

STARFOX
Falco Lombardi- Like Ganondorf and Luigi, Falco is too important a character within his series to be cut. He has tons of new moveset potential too, and is perhaps one clone who some wouldn’tmind returning with his melee moveset.

Krystal- Yet another one of those characters with too huge a following to ignore. While it creeps me out that many of her fans refer to an animal as “sexy”, I think she would make a nice addition to the ladies of Brawl.

Honorable Mentions
Wolf O’Donnell- Since Andross’ de-confirmation, Wolf has been a popular candidate. He could have a good moveset, and bring both awesomeness and villainy to a game that may be lacking characters who have both traits. But sadly and confusingly, Krystal Popularity > Wolf Popularity, and I doubt Starfox will have four reps.

Andross- The main villain of the first game and its remake, Starfox 64, although his presence has been felt throughout the whole series. Had he not been de-confirmed, I think his supporters would have eventually caved in favor of Krystal or Wolf. Better luck next time.

MOTHER
Claus- He was on the poll, he has a huge following, he’s a villain, and he’s awesome. If this kid gets to have Ness’ spot, maybe we won’t miss him so much…

Honorable Mentions
Ness- I neither believe nor deny that Ness has been deconfirmed. But for now, he will stay here so I can appease fans of Claus.

FIRE EMBLEM
Marth- Unlike Ness, there’s absolutely no reason to remove this guy. He has a great moveset, is one of the most popular characters from Melee, and provides a fast alternative to Ike if you just have to play as a blue-haired swordsman.

Micaiah- She co-stars with Ike, she adds to the female population, and would have a cool magic-based moveset. But I have serious doubts about her chances. See below.

Honorable Mentions
Roy- He’s a clone of Marth, and has nothing particularly interesting to offer. And Eliwood is the exact same case, just a generation back.

Lyn- She was the perfect woman to represent Fire Emblem in Brawl. She mixes magic with Katana-wielding, was a main Lord in her respective game, and is hot. But Sakurai just had to go and make her an Assist trophy.

Sigurd- As the lord from the most popular game in the series, he deserves to at least be mentioned, but I would really hate for have three dudes with blue hair from Fire Emblem to be in this game.

Black Knight- I’m not going to deny that this guy looks totally badass and I would love to play as him, but it seems that Ike already fits the insanely strong, insanely slow, Fire Emblem type.

Micaiah- She fits the bill perfectly as a replacement for Lyn. But that’s just it. People only noticed her after Lyn was deconfirmed. I doubt Sakurai would just overlook the best choice in favor of the second best, but I’ve been wrong before.

F-ZERO

Captain Falcon- The hero of a great, albeit poorly selling racing game, and a smash staple. Seriously, what would Brawl be without “FALCON PUNCH!”? Nothing, that’s what.

Honorable Mentions
Samurai Goroh- Yet another WTF? move by Sakurai. He would have been the rep addition to a series that has been patiently waiting a second PC since Smash 64. Unlike Lyn however, nobody can really be found to replace him. Except maybe this guy…

Black Shadow- The series’ main “villain”. I use that term lightly, because this dude is LAME. Sadly, if F-Zero is ever going to have two characters, this is the man for the job, and Smash gets another villain. I guess.

I MAN SERIES (F-zero was not included because I felt like it…)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo)- Who doesn’t love awesome fighting robots? While the only game in the series to ever come stateside kind of sucked, the series has many more entries in Japan, which are apparently the opposite of suck. And every one features Ray in some form or another. INCREDIBLE moveset potential, a spot on the poll, and the fact that like many other confirmed newcomers, he was a trophy in Melee.

Isaac- I’ve never played Golden Sun, but I think that a teenage kid who uses alchemy would be an awesome addition to the roster. His series has two games, and their developer, Camelot, is a second party of Nintendo who also developed the (good) Mario sports titles.
RETRO
Game & Watch- While it was difficult to master, G&W had arguably the most awesome moveset in Melee. He is also a critical part of Nintendo history, predating even Mario as their first character. I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

Takamaru- A katana wielding Samurai who nobody ever heard of until he appeared on the poll. However, his appearance there, coupled with retro flair, gives him a good chance.

Honorable Mentions
Sukapon- Same case as Takamaru, except slightly less popular. If I had to pick between the two, I’d choose Sukapon for his dance based moveset and general robot awesomeness.

Balloon Fighter- The top retro candidate back when Brawl was first announced, his popularity has waned for some reason. I stil, think he has a chance, but he’ll stay here for now.

Little Mac- He had great moveset potential, comes from a great classic game with several sequels and remakes, and is awesome. ASSIST TROPHY? SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!

3RD PARTY
Megaman- His fanbase is unstoppable. Great classic Icon who appears in dozens of games. I think he’ll be the next third party.

Bomberman- Hudson is Nintendo’s other business partner besides Sega. Bomberman is their mascot, and a great character with dozens of games. Megaman > Bomberman, but he still has a great chance.

Honorable Mentions
Pac-man- Everybody knows who this guy is, his first appearance was one that helped introduce video games to the world. He’s a pop culture Icon, and Nintendo has a great working relationship with Namco. But for the last ten years, his games have sucked, and he has zero moveset potential.

Simon Belmont- Has all the awesomeness and retro appeal that a 3rd party needs, and once again, a lot of moveset potential. But with Snake, Konami has already entered the Brawl. If they get two reps tough, Simon it is!

THE TRUE WTF CHARACTER!

Knowing Sakurai, there will be one character on the roster that hasn’t appeared on the poll, isn’t a popular choice, and, may even be an original character. The Ancient Minister seems like a reasonable candidate, but I think that the true WTF character will be virtually impossible to predict. With Sonic, perhaps the most hyped character being unveiled pre-release, I think Sakurai has something huge planned to blow us away as the ultimate unlockable character. And I don’t think Takamaru, Geno, or Megaman will be quite enough.

45 characters sounds reasonable to me. Anyone who predicts under 40 is an idiot.

So what do you think? Feel free to argue, as much of this is opinion driven, but I’m confident that most, if not all of the playable characters in Brawl appear on the list above.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Thanks for including Geno. Im calling it, after this game comes out, I can see him becoming the breakout main of Brawl.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I wasn't sure whether to choose Takamaru or Sukapon, and I think it came down to who appears to be more popular. Like I said, I'd actually rather have Sukapon.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You shouldn't really put those "honorable mentions" there. I know it's to try to please the fans that you at least considered them. But people should stop whining and "take it like a man" the fact that not everyone likes the characters they like, period.

It's a VERY reasonable roster, btw. And no, I don't mean the bit about Takamaru (Which btw, you're a nice guy. :D) But for excluding those characters which nobody has the "balls" to exclude out of fear of being flamed.

8/10 (Although 6 characters for Mario really pushes it... I say EITHER Geno or Bjr, but not both).

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
You shouldn't really put those "honorable mentions" there. I know it's to try to please the fans that you at least considered them. But people should stop whining and "take it like a man" the fact that not everyone likes the characters they like, period.

It's a VERY reasonable roster, btw. And no, I don't mean the bit about Takamaru (Which btw, you're a nice guy. :D) But for excluding those characters which nobody has the "balls" to exclude out of fear of being flamed.

8/10 (Although 6 characters for Mario really pushes it... I say EITHER Geno or Bjr, but not both).
Honestly, most of the "Honorable Mentions" were there to appease me.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Alot of Logic is lost in roster speculations.. thanks to Sakurai's poll.. this is evident when people place Takamaru on their rosters.

EDIT: I will say though that alot of logic can also come from Sakurai's poll.

D

Deleted member

I am insulted you listed K. Rool as an honorable mention. DK needs one more rep. Just one more rep. D= Is that too much to ask, Sakurai?

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Keep our eyes peeled? Being part of Peach's move 100% deconfirms him, there is absolutely no chance that he will 'show up after all'.
I don't think as popular and as classic a character as Toad can be 100% deconfirmed like that. Remember that there are multiple Toads.

Besides, other "Honorable Mentions" have been 100% deconfirmed, and nobody's flaming me for them.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Although I wish Skull Kid was on the playable side, I'm glad someone remembered he exists. Thank you. Also, not a bad roster, on the whole. I'd be fine with it. It's very close to my dream roster.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I don't see how Metroid "can't" have three reps but StarFox can. I am not saying "PUT DARK SAMUS AS PLAYABLE" or anything, but that just doesn't make sense, all things considered those two series. I certainly think Metroid has a shot a three full playable characters, but it's not certain at all.

Besides the six Mario reps, it's a pretty good roster. I'd much rather another series get that rep though.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Good list. I'm glad you included Isaac. I don't expect four third-parties, though.
Marth isn't returning you idiot.
First off, no need to be a jerk. Second, Marth isn't necessarily gone. The article that implies this is too vague.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Love the list. Matches my opinions all the way. I'd just add K. Rool to the DK series and take out Takamaru. Ray is At material IMO and Isaac I never seemed to agree on but other than those great thread.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Meh, I wouldn't put my money on Marth. I've seen good evidence for his return, but I just can't see him in my mind being in Brawl. I could be wrong, and I'm sure a lot of people would be happy if I was, but that's just my two cents.

If Ridley is in the game (he WILL be in the game), he is going to be my main, even if Falco returns. Meh, I might main both. HAHA, I wonder what the Kirby hat for Ridley would look like.

I don't think as popular and as classic a character as Toad can be 100% deconfirmed like that. Remember that there are multiple Toads.

Besides, other "Honorable Mentions" have been 100% deconfirmed, and nobody's flaming me for them.
a). I wasn't flaming you.
b). You aren't pretending that the others still have a chance.
c). You're just kidding yourself then. There isn't a single chance Toad will be a playable character.

By the way, you should mention Vaati somewhere.

And to the people saying Marth won't return; don't be foolish. He's a major Fire Emblem character and hugely popular thanks to Melee. He probably won't be cut, and there is nothing to suggest it anyway. Not that I like him...at all, but pretending that a character won't make it because I don't like him is stupid.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
I don't have any sort of opinion on Marth, actually. I'm just going on gut instinct, which tells me he won't come back. Meh, go listen to someone who actually has support.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool needs to be on the main list. Don't listen to people who say Marth's not in. The only people who are more likely are Jigglypuff, Luigi, Ganondorf, G&W, and Falcon if you ask me. All the article says is is they were in Melee, and now Ike's in the next game. No kidding.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
How on god's green earth does Tingle get an honorable mention and not Vaati?
And how is Micaiah both a pick and an honorable mention? XP

KingGeorge

Smash Cadet
the list is okay, but i have one problem... WHY DOES NOBODY THINK THAT MORE SONIC CHARACTERS WILL BE IN????? they're excellent characters with huge moveset potential (esp. when compared to sonic with his three moves that are 'spins really fast') and they've got authorisation to use them. for crying out loud!

sorry about that, only time will tell, eh? (good idea including a hidden "WTF" too)

Noshiee

Smash Ace
I love your your character roster, Claus FTW! and Bowser Jr too! not as much as Claus thouth, but you get it! :p
The only think that it's kinda unlikely there is 4 3rd partys, take bomberman out and put AC representative or something xd.

the list is okay, but i have one problem... WHY DOES NOBODY THINK THAT MORE SONIC CHARACTERS WILL BE IN????? they're excellent characters with huge moveset potential (esp. when compared to sonic with his three moves that are 'spins really fast') and they've got authorisation to use them. for crying out loud!
Because they won't. Simple as that.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
The Donkey Kong series is more popular and known than you think. Those games are Nintendo's 4th best selling series I believe. I'm pretty sure K. Rool has decent chances.

By the way, why do you hate Isaac? :p

Top Bottom