• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Brawl luigi impressions

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
ok so i went to a tournament and we did melee teams tournament, and brawl singles tournament.

very first match i played was a friendly to figure out how the game works, except i didnt really do that too well cause it was against gimpy and he had already played it all day. so i got wrecked and it was boring lol.

we were playing 3 stocks, and later my 2nd 2 matches were 2 stock since we were short on time. and eventually we didnt even get to finish the tournament since we only had one TV set up for the majority of time and only 3 setups later on. First stage was always battlefield and then the losers would pick a counterpick stage.

First set:
3 gamnes against diddy kong
1st game battlefield, 2nd game lylatt, 3rd game battlefield.
i won the first lost the 2nd and won the third.

luigi seemed to do farely well agaisnt didy kong. the only trouble i had was diddy's dash grab. if i spammed too many aerials he would start to puniush my by running up and grabbing. that is why i think luigis down air is one of his better approaching attacks because you can fast fall it and almost instantly jab or side step to avoid any counter attacks. sex kick, down smash, and back air were how i got all of my kills. and i racked up my damage with low % sex kicks to up titls. plus a lot of fireballs because that attack is great now. and then luigis down b is excellent for approaching and racking on a few annoying points.

second set:
2 games against jigglypuff
1at game battlefield, 2nd game melee: pokemon stadium.
i won by two stock both times.

this matchup seemed fairly easy. luigis fireball spam was great and keepings jiggs from back air spamming me like the melee days. so i would forse jiggs to take to the air and go over the fire balls. i would follow this up with up air attacks until she was high enough to kill. luigis neutral air was great for killing jiggs and i think i used that move to take all 3 stocks.

thrid set
2 games against pit
battlefield and animal crossing stage
lost by 1 stock in both 2 stock games.

this was by far my hardest match of the day. it was against someone who had already played the game a few different times, and he was using a character that i beleieve to be top 3 in this early brawl metagame. i would get arrow spammed until i got close enough to actually fight. and once that happened he would throw out these attacks where he would spin his sword around in front of him. i really couldnt figure out how to get in to him to do some serious damage and avoid getting hit myself. and since it was only a 2 stock match he disposed of me fairly easily without me knowing what to do for so long.

4th set
3 games against marth
battlefield, animal crossing, battlefield

the first match i struggled a lot. i had no idea that back air was such a good kill move, so i got caught off gaurd and owned by it for a while. i also hadnt really implemented rolling and side stepping in to my game so i was having problems getting passed marths range. but i begin to find some things out in time to win the 2nd and 3rd match. i wont go in to any more detail in these matches, instead i will just give a general overview which will include everythign i learned in about a half hour of play time.

General ideas:

luigi has much better aerial movement, and lack of wavedash doesnt really matter. lugis style will most likely revolve around low % combos do to some great moves that have perfect knock back for stringing together attacks. once the character approaches 100% luigi has a great set of moves to finish him off. a lot of KO potential from what i saw.

F smash - very strong attack. one of his strongest and i started to use it a lot more towards the end. i think if i would of used this more agaisnt pit i could of won.

down smash - actually a kill move in brawl. not nearly as good for comboing tho. the best you could follow up with is some fireballs and maybe use that to string in more combos. but it does kill people around 120% which is great for a double sided attack that is fast.

up smash - doesnt seem to be very strong but i didnt hit with hit much. either way it will be a large part of luigi without wavedashing because you can jump cancel up smash for a very fast approach. i will def need to learn more about it.

forward tilt - one of luigis best moves from melee hands down. not nearly as good in brawl. its still very fast but the range takes a huge hit because of lack of wavedash, and just his leg seeming to not stretch out as far is in melee. plus you are never going to kill with it like you could in melee do to the new gravity. probly still good for projectile blocking and qucik damage tho. but not nearly as good as in melee.

up tilt - this move is a great combo move. it has little knock back but long enough hit stun to follow up with aerial attacks. going to be a big part of luigis combo game (again) as long as we have ways to hit people with it.

forward air (Chop) - this move is not really a kill move anymore, but it is a lot faster and good for multiple aerial purposes, however the range and knock back dont seem to be as good as the back air and i think this may be luigis worst air attack for brawl.

Back air - speaking of the back air, this is one of his better air attacks in brawl. you can still do many of them in one jump, plus it has great range, and is a good killing move once you are near the ledge to do its decent knock back. but this will be great mostly because of its range and speed.

uair - this move isnt reallt all that much better, but it will be used A LOT more in brawl because of 2 reasons. 1) lugis chop pretty much sucks 2) characters float more so they will be above you more and you will need this to hit them lol.

neutral air - this and luigis back air are his best air attacks hands down. his new neutral air is great for starting combos at low percent, and great for killing at higher percents, which is great because it still has that suprose factor that it did in melee. yor opponent will hit you, jump after you to follow up, you hit them with this and they die. i completely destroyed jiggs with this move.

down air - im still not really sure about this move. it had decent knockback, but im not sure how good it was as a kill move. and its range is the worst out of all his attacks unless you are coming back to the ground from the air so its not good for much except this and close quarter combat. i say this because when you are close to someone, you can down air and when you land this move seems to have the least lag out of his air attacks. you can instantly follow it up with jabs which is a good thing because you can avoid shield grabbing and counter attacks with that. i need to learn more about this move tho.

neutral b - luigis fireball is awesome in brawl. its not nearly as good as some of the other projectiles in the game, but it is actually a projectile this time around because of its great speed, where as the fireball didnt really matter much in melee. its great for racking up damage, and i see a lot of combo continuation with it in the advanced luigi game for the future.

down b - luigis tornado was his best b move in melee, and its EVEN BETTER in brawl. i dont think it has the same amazing priority that it had in melee, but it is very fast, especially for brawl speed. and it still travels very fast across the level to rack on some damage. and this time it is not as punishable when you hit your opponent with it because it will suck them up and knock them away so they cannot counter attack you. this is only the offensive aspect of the move tho. YOU MUST RECOVER! and omfg this move is great for recovery. smash down b and yo will go nearly twice as high as luigis up b went in melee. this alone will allow you to recover from almost anything, but then you still get to up b and side b to recover as well so you have no excuse when you die in brawl. it will only be because of good edge gaurding, not stupid edgehogging like in melee.

up b - honestly i dont see much use for this move in a 1v1 brawl tournament scene. however it is excellent for recovery, because you cannot just roll away to edgehog agaisnt it anymore. in brawl people can grab the ledge RIGHT after osmeone lets go, so this move allong with the tornado make it farely difficule to edge gaurd luigi.

up b 2nd take - this move will absolutely DESTROY in doubles. i was never able to hit with it when i played. but from what i have seen it has amazing power. kills marth at 63 %, does nearly 35% damage and you could probly hit someone with it when they are 45% and they would die. grab to up b will be the new grab to rest. add this to luigis insanse recovery and he is seriously looking like jiggs from melee doubles. stock saver plus stock taker? good thing doubles is my favorite :)

side b - still not 100% sure about this move. but it has some new features. in melee when you started this move, it would cause you to float a little but and slow down your drop speed. in melee it no longer affects your drop speed. but it doesnt really matter because now you can sweetspot with this move so it makes up for it. the only reason i would use this move IS for sweet spotting. besides that it is pretty bad, and you dont even need it to recover with luigis amazing down b up b recovery combo. the misfire also is pretty stupid now but i dont know much about it. maybe it is really strong? who knows.

throws - i only have 2 to really talk about.

back throw -luigis back throw is really strong in brawl. you can kill with it near 130% maybe less if on the edge which is always nice to have if you jsut cant seem to kill someone because sometimes they might just run in to an easy grab and it will make things easier for you.

down throw - the only throw with any hint of combo ability from what i have seen. im still not sure how good it is for that though because people were avoiding my follow up attacks with air dodges and other things. but i see some combo potential. not sure tho.

i really don't know anything about forward throw and up throw except that they do what they say. doubt any real uses besides team combos or just getting people off the edge.

Taunts - luigi has the best taunts in the game. he still has the taunt spike, except now it makes ana mazing ping noise, and it pops people super high in to the air if not done by the ledge.

he actually has a good tuant for doing after you kill people which is his picture post taunt. i always thought kick sucked for doing after you killed someone, but this one is amazing.

and his third taunt is his fall down winning pose from melee. it is my least favorite, but i think this is the best one to do during a game to ACTUALLY taunt someone, because you are laying down and pretty much inviting them to come attack you.

over all id say luigi is a good contender for brawl and will no longer be a lower tier. at least top of mid tier or bottom of high tier, but def a good character with a lot of potential. we just have to see how the game evolves.

speed - 7/10 hes not super slow, but his running speed and aerial movement is not nearly as fast as a lot of other characters.

combo ability - 8/10 as of now its looking pretty good. i have a lot of high hopes for fireballs being used to string things together, and i have a few ideas to combo in to that amazing up b, but not sure. anyway. good combo ability from what ive seen.

KO ability - 8/10 hes not ike or dedede, but his combo ability and speed also seems to be bettter than theirs so its a good balance of speed and power. f smash, down smash, neutral air, back air edge gaurding, back throw, and an amazingly powerful (but hard to hit) up b that shows a lot off different ways to kill your opponent. if we figure out how to actually use that up b you could really turn a match around in a mango kind of way.

recovery 10/10 omfg it *****. im sure there are better ones though but i still think luigi is going to have one of the top recoveries.

what i want to learn more about : down tilt, down air, chop, up tilt, up smash, grabs.

THATS IT! more if i ever get to play again, or when the game comes out. because i will be making a luigi guide for sure.

Folt

Smash Ace
Ooh! Nice. I can't wait to main Luigi once more. I'm gonna be training to get better, and then
I'm gonna KICK ***!

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Cool, thanks for the info. One thing though. How fast does Luigi's Meteor Taunt come out? Also how high does it go?

fazares

Smash Apprentice
u excluded f-air and d-air.....as killing moves...confirming my impression on the few match i played as luigi....too bad i used those attacks to get most kills in ssbm..:-/
dont forget the green missile though....

Water

Smash Rookie
yes keep the impressions coming people! I use Luigi alot in melee he used to be my main but then I switched to Ice Climbers, however seeing how they seem to have gotten worse and Luigi better I might have to go back to maining him. This was very helpful.

Top Bottom