• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Musical Mashups: A v B

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mashup, bootleg or b@stard pop, is a musical genre which, in its purest form, consists of the combination of the music from one song with the a cappella from another. Ideally, the music and vocals belong to completely different styles/genres generally considered to be incompatible, yet skillfully and artfully combined into a pleasurably euphonic hybrid.

-Wikipedia.org

This particular topic is dedicated to the subgenre of A v B, where the goal is to take an acapella from 2 or more songs and put it with the backing music of two or more songs, thus creating a third song.

A few examples of these, which are also some of my personal favorites are:

Dem Franchize Boyz v KoЯn-Coming Undone Wit' It

The Pussy Cat Dolls v Gorillaz-Dare to Beep

Green Day v Oasis v Areosmith-Boulevard of Broken Songs

I was just curious to see if anyone else was a fan of this strange genre?

snes101

Smash Apprentice
Ah, I love mashups! I've messed around with a few A+B's in Audacity, but never really distributed any.
I'm listening to DJ Lobsterdust - My Irreplacable (Beyonce vs. Tommy Heavenly6) at the moment.

I'm a fan of some of the Bootie artists; the likes of A Plus D, Party Ben and DJ Lobsterdust. A question - is it OK to post links to mashup sites?

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
Mashups are awesome

DJ Skeet Skeet has a mashup on his myspace and blog of Spacehogs "In The Meantime" and "Party Like A Rockstar". Needless to say it it totally awesome

if you guys know where I can find more mashups send me a PM

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wish this topic was more popular. I am always searching for newer mixes.

I found two very good ones yesterday:

Gorillaz-"Clint Eastwood" Vs Sean Paul-"Get Busy"

it was cool, because Sean Paul would say "Let's get it on, let's get it on, let's get it on..." and it would become 2D, the front man of Gorillaz saying "It's coming on, it's coming on, it's coming on..."

the other was

The Beatles-"Let It Be" vs Shaggy-"It Wasn't Me"

check 'em out.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Does Girl Talk count for what you're talking about? He takes more than a few songs and puts them all together, so not strictly A vs B, but the same general idea I think. He's huge at my school, or at least he was last fall when I was still there. I especially like his combination of Knife and Wamp Wamp (could be found on his myspace last time I checked).

Otherwise, Danger Mouse's Grey Album is a classic. Jay-Z versus the Beatles. And I've been digging AmpLive's Rainydayz remixes of various Radiohead songs lately.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Otherwise, Danger Mouse's Grey Album is a classic. Jay-Z versus the Beatles.[/color]
I'll give the nod to this as well. It's about as good as it gets when it comes to mash-up, and it put Danger Mouse on the radar. "Allure" is probably my favorite song on it.

There are some dumb lyrics to it though (hey, it's Jay-Z), but the Beatles harmony saves it. This is "The Grey Video" for Encore off the The Grey Album. It samples Glass Onion and Savoy Truffle. Ringo mixing on the turntables is awesome.

It's funny how good these mixes can be, I don't much care for KoЯn or Dem Franchize Boyz, but "Coming Undone (Wit It)" was kinda decent.

Two of my favorite mash-ups that haven't been mentioned: Eric B. & Rakim: Paid in Full v. The White Stripes: My Doorbell = Pump Up the Doorbell

Snoop Dogg: Drop It Like It's Hot v. Led Zeppelin: Whole Lotta Love = Drop It Like It's a Whole Lot of Love

Loved the Gorillaz v. Sean Paul mix, I'll stay tuned.

Top Bottom