• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music and Dreams

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well, I was entertaining it because at the time my girlfriend (now ex) was interested in it, and someone I dated before that was also interested in it (why do I attract those types?) so I thought I'd might look into it. It wasn't a "Oh my girlfriend is in it? SO AM I!" it was simply to learn about her beliefs, and admittedly, the idea of these things were very fantastical and my rational parts wants rational explanations to prove their validity. At the time I didn't apply any rigorous examination to it philosophically or anything, it was simply me trying it.

I learned a lot of things that went along with astral projection, like discussions of the universe as consciousness and consciousness shifts, the theory that 2012 will mark a consciousness shift, Atlantis, auras, crystals, and I was being pretty open minded, but none of if it was really much of a proof of anything, even the dude who talked about all of this said that it wasn't him saying that all of these things are real and you must believe it. In addition, I tried and failed to experience anything like astral projection when I tried multiple times, so I also dropped it in the sense that I didn't experience it or whatever it is when people think they have experienced it.

It was actually some months later around graduation, after I had already dropped it and lost interest, did I start taking an even more materialistic turn and delved more into the hobby of philosophy and realized that there is just no way I can accept such things ever again as possible in more ways than just evidence. Assuming of course that I go through an extreme transformation of beliefs about things, which, while possible, would take a lot.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Never seen yourself from that angle? Well, if that is somehow true, I'm pretty sure your brain would fill in the gaps pretty well.

You've kind of lost me here, not sure what you're going on about. XD Things are only true if there is some sort of scientific basis for them, and that also means it is logical (reality isn't illogical i.e. that's where we get our logic from) so metaphysically speaking things in reality can be explained. I'm all for appreciating experiences and understanding what that means, but if your experience has a scientific understanding and/or makes no logical sense, then it is safe to say that it doesn't happen precisely as you think it did. Even in circumstances involving probabilities, if something wondrous seems more likely than just something random, that still isn't grounds to accept that is truth if it defies scientific understanding and logic, after all, every so often unlikely/rare things occur.

I'm going to refer to Through the Wormhole again, they went over a study where it tested the human's ability to give meaning to randomness, and when they felt emotionally affected, they felt all the more certain that they were seeing symbols and signs in pictures of random pixels. In a sense this is kind of similar to people accrediting some meaning to experiences. That, and like I said, people like to instill value in the impressions their mind takes, particularly when it seems spectacular.

Everything that science has disproved were things set up basically by religious dogma, things made with no basis at all or from "experiences" (i.e. the world seems flat, amiright?) Science isn't about disproving anything, it's just that there were a lot of things to disprove that was believed.

Now, I'm not going to say that astral projection just cannot be in anyway proven, but there is not only a lack of necessity for it, but it also involves tearing down a lot of our understanding that has seemed to make sense thus far.

Again, don't mean to be a downer or whatever, you may think as you wish, I have no problem with that. I myself in the past was interested in astral projection and similar "spirit science" things, mayhaps it is the reason why I feel compelled to attack it now because I dropped it not long after.
Gah!

I can't be bothered to type a long post. I know I sound really stubborn about this and there are reasons for that but at the same time I use science to construct the world around me so it's not like I claim to be some psychic or anything, just that I have a lot of different views pertaining to the world than your typical guy and realise that you can't always take things at face value.

If you had seen the same stuff I have, you might agree. Maybe not. No-one can do that, though, so it's irrelevant.

Top Bottom