• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mushroom Kingdom Showdown

WwwWario

Smash Ace
'Ey fellow Smashers!

Before we begin, let me say this - don't get your hopes up.
I've been making some games a few years now, I'm currently 17, and I love doing it. Autumn of 2014, I tried building up a small Smash-like engine, but it didn't turn out really good, when it comes to controls, knockback, etc. So instead, I changed it to an HP game, instead of a percent game, and decided to include Mario characters only. And by that, my little game called Mushroom Kingdom Showdown was born :p

This is the first time I've made a game like this, but I hope you will check it out. It's currently not complete, but it's close to. I've been working VERY hard on this, and trust me, I've gotten REALLY frustrated sometimes while making this :laugh: But the people following my game through Youtube and Twitter are really supportive and have even made a whole Wikia page for this game, with characters, stages, techs and everything. Really grateful for that, and that has kept me motivated :)

Basically, each character has a Jab, Down Tilt, Side Tilt, Running Attack, Air Attack, Neutral Special, Down Special and Up Special. Each character can also fast-fall, and Air Dodge. There's also Showdown Attacks, final-smash-like attacks that builds up as you deal damage. There's Classic Mode, Target Test, Takedown Mode (All-Star Mode), and Showdown Mode (VS mode). It's up to 2 players, and I've tried my best to program CPU AI. Didn't turn out very good, but they do attack, so I'm happy :laugh: This is most likely not going to be nearly as good as the other games people post here, but I thought I'd have a little feedback on this little game :p

I'm such a huge fan of fighting games, making rosters, and making a competitive game, so I really wanted to try it myself. This is the result :p Don't know if it turns out alright, but I hope you'll give it a shot :) I take NO credits for the graphics used, though :)

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tp73o86yq8mrweo/Mushroom Kingdom Showdown v.0.9.zip

The newest video (all videos I've made of this game are developer commentaries, but it should work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UBlb4w6Obg

And some pictures could be handy, huh? :)

Again, sorry if this is really bad :p I tried my best :p

Last edited:

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I really enjoy your work, WwwWario, I love your games and your channel and this is probably your greatest project, if you keep it up this will be a fantastic game! :) I wish the best for you and Mushroom Kingdom Showdown.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Looks interesting. I'll see if I can give this a try!

Edit: So I've played it and here is what I think. I like the game and it is enjoyable. The gameplay is pretty solid but not the best and I think it can be improved. I think the problem with it is there is no kind of block but only air dodging. That makes things a bit easy with just mashing buttons to get hits in. The final smash system seems great but performing one seems to suffer for some characters like Mario and Dr. Mario for example. If you are too close to them you get 1-2 hits off. You need the sweet spot in the middle for the much better effect. Wouldn't be much of a problem but the A. I. Knows how to follow you a bit too well when you are trying to space things out.

Now stages are well designed for the most part especially the Mario Kart stage. Only minor problem is stages like the one for TakeDown. You are outside on the flat stage but 2 walls are just there and it doesn't feel right. Maybe an invisible wall or a giant hill would work better.

Sprites look excellent in this. I don't have any problem with them and I think they are well done and nicely animated.

Target test. Interesting mode like always in the smash series and it plays fine. I personally don't think it is fluid and maybe a bit bugy.

The menu in this game works. The background is fine and has a variety of options. Character select is decent too but I'm think that the visuals is a bit too crispy. Maybe smoothen the visuals would look nicer.

Overall, the game is pretty solid and I enjoyed the experience. I like the idea of a Mario based franchise brawler and I do like how it is different from smash but similar at the same time. Gameplay is good but needs tweaking, Sprites are well done, stages are fine, A. I. may want to improve, bugy on some areas, menu is fine on how it works, and target mode is interesting but needs some tweaking also.

Pros:
-Sprites
-Stages
-Music

Cons:
- A.I.

May need tweaking:
-Gameplay
-Target Test
-Final smashes

Rate: 7/10 Solid!

Not bad, I'm quite impressed with you game. I know it is unfinished but I hope you get some helpful information on what to improve from this. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Looks interesting. I'll see if I can give this a try!

Edit: So I've played it and here is what I think. I like the game and it is enjoyable. The gameplay is pretty solid but not the best and I think it can be improved. I think the problem with it is there is no kind of block but only air dodging. That makes things a bit easy with just mashing buttons to get hits in. The final smash system seems great but performing one seems to suffer for some characters like Mario and Dr. Mario for example. If you are too close to them you get 1-2 hits off. You need the sweet spot in the middle for the much better effect. Wouldn't be much of a problem but the A. I. Knows how to follow you a bit too well when you are trying to space things out.

Now stages are well designed for the most part especially the Mario Kart stage. Only minor problem is stages like the one for TakeDown. You are outside on the flat stage but 2 walls are just there and it doesn't feel right. Maybe an invisible wall or a giant hill would work better.

Sprites look excellent in this. I don't have any problem with them and I think they are well done and nicely animated.

Target test. Interesting mode like always in the smash series and it plays fine. I personally don't think it is fluid and maybe a bit bugy.

The menu in this game works. The background is fine and has a variety of options. Character select is decent too but I'm think that the visuals is a bit too crispy. Maybe smoothen the visuals would look nicer.

Overall, the game is pretty solid and I enjoyed the experience. I like the idea of a Mario based franchise brawler and I do like how it is different from smash but similar at the same time. Gameplay is good but needs tweaking, Sprites are well done, stages are fine, A. I. may want to improve, bugy on some areas, menu is fine on how it works, and target mode is interesting but needs some tweaking also.

Pros:
-Sprites
-Stages
-Music

Cons:
- A.I.

May need tweaking:
-Gameplay
-Target Test
-Final smashes

Rate: 7/10 Solid!

Not bad, I'm quite impressed with you game. I know it is unfinished but I hope you get some helpful information on what to improve from this. Keep up the good work!
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks a lot for the feedback! :)

Top Bottom