• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multishine Claw Grip

Spluvin

Smash Cadet
I use the claw grip playing melee and thus jump with y using my index finger. I have no problem double shining with Fox using this grip but with Falco I tend to press b to early and thus full jumps. This has led me to practice double shining with my thump only sliding it from y to b, but this feels somewhat awkward. I'm now thinking of dropping Falco in favor of Fox.
Any claw grip players that has any advice regarding the double shine as Falco?

I'm thankfull for all advice! But please mention in your post if you use claw grip or not.

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I use the claw grip playing melee and thus jump with y using my index finger. I have no problem double shining with Fox using this grip but with Falco I tend to press b to early and thus full jumps. This has led me to practice double shining with my thump only sliding it from y to b, but this feels somewhat awkward. I'm now thinking of dropping Falco in favor of Fox.
Any claw grip players that has any advice regarding the double shine as Falco?
This isn't exclusive to claw, but one key piece of advice I've heard from Westballz is to just practice grounded JC shines, since it's the same timing. You just need to swipe your fingers over the buttons at the same tempo that you use for a perfect wavedash, and just try that over and over. Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:

Hedgehog_

Smash Cadet
just practice pressing B a little slower. If you keep switching from Fox/Falco dont expect to be play perfect all the time.

Spluvin

Smash Cadet
I do the double shine motion with fox as a "flick". It really feels like one motion although I'm using two fingers and I'm very consistent at it. With Falco it really feels like two separate motions, and I've after about two months of practice not been able to become consistent at double shining with Falco. I've only recently started trying to do the thumb slide from y to b and quickly became slightly more consistent using this method, the problem is however that my hand has to move a lot as my thumb in neutral grip only reaches as far as the lower end of the a button. Another even bigger problem is that after performing the double shine (using sliding method) is that my hand is in a different position messing up my wave dashes OOS (my hands my also hurt if I get too excited).

Last edited:

Barry BlaZe

Smash Cadet
ehhhhhhhh youre going to change the whole way you hold your controller just so you can perform one technique?? I dont think its worth. Im quite proficient at double shining and I think its something that isnt worth sacrificing the whole way u originally hold a contorller.

With that being said Frame perfect falco double shine is actually not that hard... I use y for all actions like jump wavedash etc. Double shining using b -> y -> b should be the way u should do it. The frame perfect timing is actually not that hard. Whereas fox you really have to strain and really go for it and try to go super fast

Last edited:

Spluvin

Smash Cadet
ehhhhhhhh youre going to change the whole way you hold your controller just so you can perform one technique?? I dont think its worth. Im quite proficient at double shining and I think its something that isnt worth sacrificing the whole way u originally hold a contorller.

With that being said Frame perfect falco double shine is actually not that hard... I use y for all actions like jump wavedash etc. Double shining using b -> y -> b should be the way u should do it. The frame perfect timing is actually not that hard. Whereas fox you really have to strain and really go for it and try to go super fast
I can't main a character if I'm not confident in all of that characters options. I've decided to use my original method of double shining as I've gotten better at it. The reason I've gotten better at it is probably because I haven't touched Fox in a while. I'm however tired of "messing up" and will go back to my old main Peach or pick up Marth.

Audos

Smash Apprentice
I can't main a character if I'm not confident in all of that characters options. I've decided to use my original method of double shining as I've gotten better at it. The reason I've gotten better at it is probably because I haven't touched Fox in a while. I'm however tired of "messing up" and will go back to my old main Peach or pick up Marth.
There will always be options you aren't comfortable with entirely. With marth you have to deal with absurd amounts of pivots and stuff for chaingrabs. Sure some characters are harder than others, but believe me double shine isn't a game breaker, nor is it harder than everything peach and marth have to do.

The trick is to be really mindful of how your hands feel and listen to their feedback; that's how you build muscle memory quickly. Also try to break difficult processing into multiple steps, master step 1 as much as possible before going into step 2 then 3 and so on. With a perfect waveshine OOS you should practice perfectly JC OOS so that you can add the wavedash after. With ledgedashing you should practice releasing and DJ on the right frames. Like frame 1 is the release of the edge, frame 2 is the DJ while you angle the stick inward. Then find out the best timing for the airdodge once that is near perfect.

You can apply that logic to almost anything complex in melee.

Top Bottom