• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multi-shine Problems

ShadowzVoid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadowzVoid
I've been practicing real hard and am trying to get multi-shining down but I can't even do a double-shine! I have really small thumbs so that is a big problem as well. I need any tips I can get! Thanks! :kirby:

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
Your difficulty can be attributed to two things the way i see it.

Definition: "Input Train" - a series of inputs

1) Grip

The way one holds the controller contributes to the difficulty of consistently executing certain input trains. For example, the Claw Grip is vastly more advantageous for double-shine and short-hop-double-laser as compared with variations on the traditional grip. It allows one to have a finger on a jump input and on "b" (or another input) simultaneously, at all times.

2) Physical Ability

Many underestimate the quantity and quality of practice required to consistently pull off certain input trains. The most clear analogy would be learning finger placement and dexterity on a musical instrument such as the guitar or violen. This requires daily practice with intense concentration of a kind that ensures finger placement is not merely between frets, for example, but that the correct part of the finger is making contact, with a proper grip on the neck, etc... If you have had no formal training with an instrument or practice in general, then i suggest you determine how to productively practice as opposed to merely practice.

soicanpost

Smash Rookie
After awhile you should be able to do it more consistently imo. Iv'e always been able to do it but over time from just playing fox my consistency with it is much higher.

Kaeon

Smash Cadet
I found the most important part of this input to be the timing moving from Y to B. Even if you are late to timing the next shine, you'll be grounded (if you are perfect) and can shine again (EDIT: or grab, or aerial.. or anything). Shine is most broken if it's grounded. :)

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I've been practicing real hard and am trying to get multi-shining down but I can't even do a double-shine! I have really small thumbs so that is a big problem as well. I need any tips I can get! Thanks! :kirby:
The correct motion is not thumb flexion but rather wrist rotation, try to rotate your wrist to slide your thumb from X to B, if you use Y to jump then you just have to rotate your hand slightly to the left.

Kaeon

Smash Cadet
The correct motion is not thumb flexion but rather wrist rotation, try to rotate your wrist to slide your thumb from X to B, if you use Y to jump then you just have to rotate your hand slightly to the left.
I would be careful with advice such as this. Using my wrist fatigues my hand, I keep my wrist steady. Do what works best for you.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I would be careful with advice such as this. Using my wrist fatigues my hand, I keep my wrist steady. Do what works best for you.
Yes, I didn't mean to say to use ONLY your wrist, I think is important to clarify this.

Top Bottom