• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Lucas

Myrvern

Smash Rookie
NNID
The-Enchiridion
3DS FC
0147-0283-3743
I'm a relatively new link main, and would like help on fighting Lucas.
I don't quite know how to fight him. Bombs are usually not an option because of his absorption.
Anyone with more experience have advice?

micahismyname

Smash Rookie
NNID
micahismyname
Learn the upward thrown bombslide in the AT thread. It's a great way to fake out an absorption heavy lucas. There's a video of how to do it in one of the Art of Link videos.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
You can kill out the absortion happiness of lucas in a lot of ways. Bombslide is one of them like the post from above, you can use zair to throw then off and pick the bomb again to throw+follow up, you can use the rang with the bomb in hand then use the bomb and more. Just be creative and don't be predictable with your camping.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Holding the bomb helps a lot too. Too many people expect a thrown bomb right after you throw out. Just hold it for a second and do something else to mix it up. If Lucas is trying to absorb you should be able to punish.

Just holding the bomb is a mind game in itself.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Also I'm assuming Lucas can't absorb a soft-thrown bomb right? You can drop/soft throw bombs to control space. Zair/Z-Drop definitely works well to bait out the opponents' absorption.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Also I'm assuming Lucas can't absorb a soft-thrown bomb right? You can drop/soft throw bombs to control space. Zair/Z-Drop definitely works well to bait out the opponents' absorption.
So long as the bomb is resting he cannot absorb it, but if it rolls into his hurtbox (Lucas himself, not the blue sphere), he will absorb it.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Is there any sort of way for Link to contest against Lucas' Aerial Neutral Game? Like I have a hard time trying to punish that character who's aerial neutral game seems to dominates my own.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I have a lot of experience in this MU via practicing with my friend who mains Lucas and Roy.

I firmly feel Link wins this matchup, but you have to really play a certain way and stick to it the entire time.

Neutral Game: At first glance, Lucas' neutral is terrifying against Link. Nair racks up easy damage and leads to strings if you slip and get hit by it, and PK Fire keeps you at bay constantly. Couple that with Lucas' Zair, and it feels like Lucas dominates the field.
The best thing you can do is concede the stage to Lucas and take advantage of his zoning with your own. PK Fire can eat Boomerang, I believe, so angling those upward to catch Lucas mid-air is key. Bombs are extremely helpful here, as they usually blow up on his Zair and damage him. Arrows are good when Lucas is using his PK Fire a bit too much. Pay attention and heed his Zair though, because, as I said it eats boomerang and sometimes a full hop Zair can pass by Lucas.
Of course, you need to approach eventually. What I do is after landing a boomerang or bomb, I immediately move in to capitalize on Lucas' lacking landing options. That said, you obviously want to play mid-range, in order to have a chance at actually punishing.
Fair is a really good move in this MU. It does big damage, is pretty safe with it's range and overall is a big problem for Lucas. Bair is good if Lucas ever tries to get in close, you can sh Nair pretty easily or sometimes landing Nair to punish if he's below you.

CQC/Close Range: Neither Link nor Lucas are especially comfortable in close range, and I feel Lucas suffers more in this area. His close range options are jab, grab, nair, and sometimes sh fair. You want to space your nair and fair here to beat out his aerials, be sure to space them well because if not you'll take the hit and Lucas really wants the momentum from getting those hits.
Lucas' jab is annoying, but he doesn't get too much off of it. You want to try and beat his out with yours, and at high percents you can even kill with jab2>up b
Avoid getting grabbed at all costs. Lucas' grab is a big deal, since Link is so heavy, he can usually get two or even three Nairs off one at low percents. He also gets up air and sometimes fair from down throw, so what I recommend when getting grabbed is to not panic. Lucas needs a read for up air, usually, and if you DI right you can avoid more nairs after the first. If he doesn't nair immediately after his dthrow, he's trying to get a read for up air. He either needs you to DI left or right, here all you can do is learn your opponent and try to counter what they tend to go for.
When/If Lucas tries to approach, he will often use Nair, Zair, or grab. Grab simply requires not being hit, and you can obviously punish it a plethora of ways, since it's a tether grab. Nair will often move onto your shield then move out in an attempt to avoid punish, but you can easily grab or jab.
I don't recommend using many smash attacks at all in this MU. Lucas will easily punish any missed smash. The safest one is upsmash, if he's on a platform above you, but don't rely on it because Lucas can and probably will drop platform and fair you in the face.
Landing is difficult for both of us, though Link is easier in this match. Lucas can either opt for dair or nair and hope you grab the wrong direction, or just go for ledge. You should be able to catch his ledge attempt with a boomerang or fair. If you have to land, use bombs to cover your landing. His up air will blow up the bomb and get him off your back.

I'm not sure I've said all I want to say but I hope this helps regardless

Top Bottom