• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Help: Yoshi

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! So, I'd like to think I'm pretty decent at the game, and even when I'm playing against someone who's above my skill level I can usually make the match pretty close before I lose

But

I'm making this post on the Pit Forum, since I main Pit, but honestly it doesn't matter who I choose, I cannot for the life of me defeat Yoshi players. Even Yoshi players who I can tell are pretty scrubby. I just don't understand him, he's a monster.

He can camp the whole stage with eggs and stop whatever you're doing no matter where you are with them while simultaneously racking up damage, he can just run around and throw out probably the best dash attack in the game, all his aerials seem to just come out on like frame 2 or 3 and hit HARD, he can just push you off the stage and F-Air you into hell, and most of his moves (Save for Smash Attacks) seem virtually lagless. He can recover (Invincibly!) from pretty much anywhere with that double jump of his, and I can never tell if he's about to grab me or eat me, and either way I always get caught because I'm too busy dancing around eggs and scary ass attacks to do anything about it.

Please, help me.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Spacing in this MU is really important. You have to do some research with yoshi and find out his weaknesses. Also find out what moves beat out his by playing yoshi in friendlies and testing stuff out. Here's a couple of things to keep in mind:
  • Nair beats his fair and nair approach. If you think he's approaching with an aerial toss out a nair.
  • Fair with spacing. Pit's fair outright beats yoshi's.
  • Stay mobile. Letting yoshi hit your shield is bad. Keep dashing back and forth and try to bait something.
  • Power shield eggs. If the yoshi loves camping and you're in the lead just power shield the eggs. They're slow, so it's not that hard.
  • Arrows? They still have ridiculous amounts of end lag and move so slow. Such a huge nerf from brawl, but I digress. You can use them every now and then, but it's hard staying mobile while throwing arrows.
Also having great fundamentals help too.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
  • Arrows? They still have ridiculous amounts of end lag and move so slow. Such a huge nerf from brawl, but I digress. You can use them every now and then, but it's hard staying mobile while throwing arrows.
Im guessing you're not using full hop arrows.....try them out. Full hop arrows allow you to outcamp characters such as shiek, link and more.

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Spacing in this MU is really important. You have to do some research with yoshi and find out his weaknesses. Also find out what moves beat out his by playing yoshi in friendlies and testing stuff out. Here's a couple of things to keep in mind:
  • Nair beats his fair and nair approach. If you think he's approaching with an aerial toss out a nair.
  • Fair with spacing. Pit's fair outright beats yoshi's.
  • Stay mobile. Letting yoshi hit your shield is bad. Keep dashing back and forth and try to bait something.
  • Power shield eggs. If the yoshi loves camping and you're in the lead just power shield the eggs. They're slow, so it's not that hard.
Also having great fundamentals help too.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it from now on. I really could stand to work on my fundamentals a lot more. I play with someone who believes in learning through losses. I can't say it's entirely ineffective, but I feel like I don't know why I do the things I do now. I think I could gain a lot from having a new sparring partner who knows how to teach some of these things appropriately.

Oh, I'll bet that probably sounds as if I'm insinuating that you should be that person-- I'm not, honest.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Im guessing you're not using full hop arrows.....try them out. Full hop arrows allow you to outcamp characters such as shiek, link and more.
I quite like arrows in certain situations, but I DO wish they moved a little faster. I find them to be most useful as long range pokes when opponents are jumping in. You can curve them straight up into an opponent a lot of times and there's nothing they can really do if they're mid-air.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I quite like arrows in certain situations, but I DO wish they moved a little faster. I find them to be most useful as long range pokes when opponents are jumping in. You can curve them straight up into an opponent a lot of times and there's nothing they can really do if they're mid-air.
Eh their fast enough, using full hop arrows angled down towards your opponent lets you 'rapid fire' arrows in a sense, while keeing in the air safe from other projectiles below such as shieks needles. Not only do they let you fire at a faster rate than shieks needles to keep her from even charging them but they have very little cooldown and are practically unpunishable if used right so you can airdodge almost immediately after firing an arrow. They work great as a camping / anti camping tool against most if not all characters and i find their really useful when firing offstage too to pressure opponents too far away or catching jumps.

For catching opponents midjump using pits aerials are a better option imo since the lingering hitbox and autocancel times allow for much more pressure than arrows. E.g if they airdodge fast fall and auto cancel your nair or fair and followup on thheir endlag.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Eh their fast enough, using full hop arrows angled down towards your opponent lets you 'rapid fire' arrows in a sense, while keeing in the air safe from other projectiles below such as shieks needles. Not only do they let you fire at a faster rate than shieks needles to keep her from even charging them but they have very little cooldown and are practically unpunishable if used right so you can airdodge almost immediately after firing an arrow. They work great as a camping / anti camping tool against most if not all characters and i find their really useful when firing offstage too to pressure opponents too far away or catching jumps.

For catching opponents midjump using pits aerials are a better option imo since the lingering hitbox and autocancel times allow for much more pressure than arrows. E.g if they airdodge fast fall and auto cancel your nair or fair and followup on thheir endlag.
Rapidfire? I need to look into this.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
After messing around a bit in training mode for a few minutes, I think I kind of get what you mean. If you jump and shoot an arrow, you can aim it wherever you want on your way down without moving towards or away from the opponent. Since you can put the arrow wherever you want, you'll probably end up hitting the opponent. By that time, you'll have reached the ground, and because the arrow has disappeared, you can shoot another right away. So you really can just sort of jump, shoot, land, shoot, rinse and repeat for lots of projectile pressure.

Do I have this right?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
After messing around a bit in training mode for a few minutes, I think I kind of get what you mean. If you jump and shoot an arrow, you can aim it wherever you want on your way down without moving towards or away from the opponent. Since you can put the arrow wherever you want, you'll probably end up hitting the opponent. By that time, you'll have reached the ground, and because the arrow has disappeared, you can shoot another right away. So you really can just sort of jump, shoot, land, shoot, rinse and repeat for lots of projectile pressure.

Do I have this right?
Sort of but better yet try this.

Space yourself at a certain distance such that after fullhoping and firing an arrow, you then curve down and hit your opponent. The arrow should hit your opponent before you touch the ground so you can jump and fire another arrow again, this allows you to stay airborne while rapid firing.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie

I'll try this later out today

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to get this to work for me, perhaps I'm doing it wrong? I get the concept, but in order to "Rapid Fire them" I feel they come out faster if you alternate. Unless perhaps I'm not clearly understanding what I'm supposed to be doing here.

Top Bottom