• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU discussion: Sonic

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Sorry i didn't know what to name the thread. Not sure if this count's as a match up thread if I'm posting observations about Sonic matches.

Ok Hi everyone noob here. I have been lurking around for a while but finally decided to make an account. Pretty much trying to learn how to become a better Yoshi player. He is the ONLY character I have ever used since the N64 days! I have come in second in a local smash 3DS tourney a few months back and I had a 85% 1v1 win rate before I started experimenting with fox (the closest I’ll ever get to Tails T_T ). I don’t consider myself pro at all tho a lot of my friends (who I can beat on the daily) tell me to enter more tourneys but before I even consider that I feel I need to get way better than I am now. Okay now that intros are out of the way…

I have been looking around and I didn’t see a thread for a Sonic Yoshi MU and I have been looking through the “The Nose Knows - Yoshi MU Portal” and nobody seems to have a solid way of beating Sonic. He is so aggravating to play against and used to be one of the hardest match ups for me but I found a way to make the matches a lot more bearable/manageable. I have been testing this for about 2 months now. I wanted to collect more attempts against Sonic players before I said anything about it so that way it didn’t look like I was pulling crap out of my behind. But this method seems to get me victories against Sonic way more often than not.

Now I know this is going to sound VERY VERY STUPID buuutttttt… EGG ROLL! Yes, egg roll, the dreaded attack that most Yoshi players would advise we never use. Yes, the same egg roll that many label useless or easy to get hit out of but IMO is the key to a Sonic match up. It’s not going to be a clean victory and it WILL hurt. You will basically be using your body as damage bait I’ll try to explain this the best I can.

Sonic as we all know, is a very fast and aggressive character who can be all up in our faces before we can even do anything. He is very hard to read due to the fact that all of his spin attacks look exactly the same so he can be a bit hard to approach. Sonic can land many hits and rack up a lot of damage in very little time without receiving much damage which can be very frustrating.

A lot of the advice (from here and reddit) I have read vs Sonic is generally in a nutshell is “good luck” or be patient and play more DEFENSIVELY. Shield often when he does his spin charges and try to hit him during the little bit of lag time he has afterwards. Honestly, it just didn’t work for me. I’d get slaughtered every time. Most Sonic’s from my observations will spam the ever living hell out the spin dash move and run circles around you and that is EXACTLY what you want them to do in this case. By using Egg Roll you can flip the tables on Sonic easily and force him to play more defensively and a Sonic with no spin attacks is basically a sitting duck!

When the match starts most Sonic’s will start with a spin dash because that the fastest way he can approach when you see this IMMEDIATELY egg roll towards him. If done right this should create a clash and cancel BOTH moves. Sometimes both Yoshi and Sonic WILL take damage but I prefer both of us taking damage than just me taking damage and remember that Yoshi has WAAAYYY more endurance than Sonic because he weighs more. It takes more effort/damage to knock Yoshi off the stage than Sonic and this works in our favor here. Anyways AS SOON as the clash happens YOSHI BOMB. It’s pretty much free. So yes a spin dash = a free Yoshi bomb on your end. Some Sonics will try to repeat this over and over just to see if it was a fluke. Or the only way they know how to fight is the spin dash and have no back up plan. OOPS!

Another thing that will happen is Sonic will try to use a spin dash and jump in the air with it at the last second to hit you. When he attempts this while in egg roll JUMP while in egg roll. This will cause an air clash and if that happens we all know Yoshi has a pretty tight air game and this is a good time to rack some more damage up. Most Sonics attempt to do the F-air towards you or charge in a ball in the air (which makes them almost stationary) and usually the knock back from the clash puts Yoshi in a good position to land a good F-air.

Also if you are in the air and you see Sonic charging a homing attack Egg roll right where you are (as long as you are over some ground lol) and as you fall in place to the ground sometimes this will create yet another clash and you and sonic will both receive damage. You are probably thinking “well why not air dodge” because Sonic can land and prepare for another attack way quicker than you can land and attempt to hit. I’d rather receive clash damage and damage him a little bit than him landing a whole combo on me while im trying to land. Also if you both fall to the ground and he miss the homing attack and you are already rolling around at the speed of sound you can get a hit off of him if he is sloppy with his roll dodging.

At this point most Sonics did not know what to do and pretty much camped on one side of the stage and started to charge up their wind up punch in hopes we would egg roll into it but egg roll switches directions pretty fast and can avoid it while coming back in for more damage. Others just straight up said screw this and jumped off the stage just to end the match. As I said before a smart Sonic will STOP using the spin moves since they now know they can be canceled out in our favor and when that happens you can just stomp on him in anyway you please because a Sonic without his spin attacks is basically useless.

I’ll try to get more videos of this from my 3DS. I had some but then an update that happened last month? Apparently made my earlier videos unwatchable. I didn't notice this until 2 days ago so I pretty much lost a lot of my proof, which is weird because I thought Sakurai said he wasn't doing anymore balance patches. =/ Anyways, That’s my input and I hope it helps some of y’all out and remember it’s not a concrete way but it has given me the upper hand in MANY Sonic fights! I’m no longer afraid to fight him and I actually get excited without cringing when I see a Sonic now! =)

TL:DR - Fight Spin dash with spin dash. Responsibly spam egg roll against Sonic.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
The last thing I would ever want to do would be spam egg roll against Sonic. Yes, it's true that spin dash has pretty garbage priority, but that hardly matter because Sonic can easily react out of it quickly.

Also I'd like to know where you got that info that "Sonic is a very agressive character" because that's not what I remember seeing from that character's videos.

Yes you need to play defensively, because Sonic wants you to approach while trying to gimmick you with his spin dash tricks, as if yoshi wasn't bad at approaching already.

Sonic also can't approach Yoshi safely (if the yoshi doesn't do anything that can lead to punishment), so you can already begin to guess how nonsense and out of the reality of the game this MU is, both characters will refrain from approaching, so prepare yourself for a time out.

And, as if that wasn't unfortunate enough, Yoshi basically doesn't have a neutral game against Sonic, while Sonic just dances in the neutral position with his fakeouts, Yoshi has no way of even doing that. Even a egg throw from far away can lead to a punish.

Plus that, Sonic wins against Yoshi in the sense that he can always react to everything Yoshi does while Yoshi cannot.

This MU is stupid.

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Can't really contribute due to not playing any good ones, but I feel like its one of those matchups that you have to pretend you have a neutral game to win. We don't exactly have a safe approach yeah, but neither does he really. We should just walk up to him and see what happens lol. Make him do something and react to that. Pretty much just Yomi from there.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm gonna continue saying that preemptively using Jab 1, and even reacting with Jab 1, has the potential to give you answers in this MU. It's not easy, and you'll need to learn your opponent's specific habits, but jab can shut down his spin dash game if you're good with it (since the priority is garbage), which will help simplify the neutral game significantly.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Using Jab to stop Sonic can be said for quite literally every MU. Only one I can think of where that option is entirely safe is Rosalina and that's for obvious reasons, she walls out a decent amount of the cast with just luma's existence alone.

The problem with it is if you miss you're taking 20+%, are you really wanting to risk possibly clanking with spin dash only to lose to his ftilt since it comes out faster than most of our moves after the clank? (since in this game when moves that aren't jab clanks, instead of going into DBZ mode, we slow down as if we're on 1/4th speed in training)

Even if we do clank and he does nothing afterwards, he'll just go back to the other side of the stage and charge up again.
So in a customs environment if Fire spin dash was being used, would you wanna risk Jab clanking with it and get punished for not hitting it being 40+%?

Doesn't matter if we're heavy or not, Nintendo buffed him pretty well by giving him 7+ kill moves compared to Bair and Fsmash in brawl lol.
Plus with rage and his damage rack up, he can kill most people around the 90% range, including Yoshi since he lost weight and isn't as heavy as he used to be.

Adding on from the post a bit back, the good sonic mains are aggressive. The ones that're campy and winning matches are playing against people that have no idea how to play against Sonic.

4:20 (heh) and 11:36 for example of taking 20+ from Spin dash shenanigans. You can see me trying this "jab 1" business but then all the Sonic has to do is not go towards you lol Also Little mac stuff ovo

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Okay like i see what you're saying but not gonna lie you took most of this damage because Espy just disrespected you lmao. It's rough and happens to the best of us, but every time you got hit, you would immediately throw out a hitbox. Espy would just hit you, wait a second until you pushed a button (you did just about every time) and then repeat. You also said most good sonics play really agressive, but the example you showed, espy wasn't that aggressive he was just reacting to how you approached.

Also, after a clank, you're only as good as your fastest option. His Ftilt hits on frame 6 so realest of talk we could beat that with our own ftilt if we wanted. Since both of our jabs are frame 3 though, it's pretty much pure yomi. If we both jab its a tie, if one jabs and the other picks a different attack, jab wins. If one grabs and the other jabs, jab wins, but shield beats jab. Pretty much any attacking option that isn't a jab is dumb, and all you really need to prepare for is a jab shield or grab.

Like i'm not doubting your matchup experience, but your example just didn't support your point.

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
Some things I've picked up when fighting against (and playing as) Sonic:
- Don't ever try to chase Sonic, except over the edge.
- Egg Roll ties Spin Dash so Yoshi doesn't really benefit.
- Egg Throw can stop Spin Dashes and Homing Attack.
- Try to get juggle combos in the air. If Sonic is dumb enough to use Up-B to escape, then he is very punishable.
- On that note, avoid his Down-Air because it hits hard. Dodge or shield, it is punishable if Sonic lands without hitting.

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I know this isn't the critique thread or anything, but I'm bout to hit you with some sage advice for that last stock. Just stop approaching. I call it fraud detection. You had like a 100% lead on the last stock, ball was in his court lol. Running at sonic gets you hit 9/10 times I'd rather him come to me.

Top Bottom