• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU discussion: Duck Hunt Duo

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Here we'll discuss the Duck Hunt Duo matchup and how to save yourself from being hunted...

Matchup ratio: Coming soon.

From my personal experience and just common sense, this is a matchup where we probably need to stay in their faces and keep stage control the best we can to stop them from camping. I'm very uncomfortable about this matchup at this stage, so I've been playing an evasive game against them and just go in when there's an opening, which may never come and you may have to create for yourself.

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I played one of these on For Glory and had a lot of trouble approaching for obvious reasons... while jumping over their projectiles is somewhat effective since they're all pretty horizontal, you have to be really careful when closing in because of the ridiculous range on their smashes and aerials.

I think that eggs are your best friend in this matchup, since they do a great job of canceling out their projectiles. You can break their clay pigeon before they shoot it with a well placed egg, and you can egg their can and potentially turn it back on them (not sure if it turns the can around or not). The can can also be safely tilted or smashed if they haven't plinked it in a while to safely reverse its direction, but you have to be sure they are in no position to do that because otherwise they can just press B and blow it up in your face. While it doesn't help a whole lot since they can just throw another, I noticed that against the opponent I was playing it threw off their momentum quite a bit.

Their main weakness as far as I'm aware is their Up+B, since not only is it slow, but they also cannot act out of it unlike Snake's cipher in Brawl. They have a good amount of horizontal control, but if you can predict where they're going you might be able to get in a meteor for an early kill, or at the very least some eggs or a nair.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt since I've literally only fought one Duck Hunt main on Final Destination which paired with my general lack of competitive experience makes me generally less than credible, but that's just what I got from the 5ish matches I played.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
If what you said is true about being unable to stop the Up B like Snake, then it sounds like we just need to pressure him offstage enough until he wastes his DJ. Even if he uses the Can to try and zone people away while he's recovering it's telegraphed for where it'll go.

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
I played mvd recently and from that experience:
1) Can is main projectile you need to be ready for because that projectile hinders yoshi's air movement. Yoshi can get around the rest of the projectiles pretty well. Can also comes out really quickly so it acts like a combo breaker so watch out for that as well.
2) Duck Hunt's aerials are disjointed so watch your spacing and try not to challenge them
3) Once you get in, stay in but remember to bait possible offensive options if duck hunt goes for them.
4) His smashes have multiple hits. (Usually 3)
5) Refer back to 1). Can is probably the most important part of this match up tbh. Either player can hit the can into the other so try to use that to your advantage. Also (i've only seen it from mvd so far), but if the can is out on the stage but away from where you and duck hunt are, duck hunt could throw you towards the can and activate the can to blow you up. (Similar to snake tossing you into his mines in pm and brawl).

Top Bottom