• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Hadouken's Shiny PSA's (Dark Dry Bowser & Accurate Samus) More to come!

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
Accurate Samus Project
Light/Dark Beam for Dark and Light Suit Samus

PMDT did a great job with the alt. costumes in Project M 3.5 and 3.6. And Samus got a lot of love in these entries, rocking 4 new alt costumes for us to enjoy, bein the Light and Dark Suits my favorites. I'm still not a big fan of the Light Suit's big shoulder pads, but I absolutely love using the Dark Suit.
It felt weird for me having her using Fire/Plasma and Ice while using those suits, so I decided to mess around and use my noob skills to add some Light and Dark effects to the Fire and Ice modes respectively.

Light Beam: Sparkle effects given to all Fire Attacks. Still burns opponent on contact because it produces the same effects on enemies in Metroid Prime 2. Missiles are still Fire Missiles.

Dark Beam: Ice Attacks now come with a Darkness effect on it, and bursts the opponent in Dark Flames when hit. For the U-Smash and F-Air, the opponent will be lit on Dark Flames only when hit with the moves' sweetspots. F-Smash's second hit will still Freeze the opponent. Also, her missiles in this mode are still Ice Missiles. Putting up Dark Missiles would've been tedious and a bit farfetched, even with the existance of the Darkburst in Metroid Prime 2. Besides, she's rocking Ice Missiles in Metroid Prime 3, close enough!

She is also rocking these effects during 2 of her Victory Animations.
Changes apply for both the Light Suit and Dark Suit. You can see more images in the folder that is linked at the bottom of the OP.

Mini-Shinespark (Dash Attack)
Given her Dash Attack resembles Samus' Shinespark from her 2D games (And Other M), I decided to add this as a bonus feature. It is red in color, just like in the games it is features (Except Other M).
It also burns the opponent when hit with it's sweetspot (the first 3 frames I believe). No knockback added, but feels more rewarding to perform the Windmill of Fury now, doesn't it? Tell me what you think about the color, though, as I was thinking of making it yellow to keep it consistant with the Boost Ball, although less accurate.

These changes are purely aesthetic aren't supposed to affect her mechanics in any way.

Dark Dry Bowser
Something I did just for kicks. I wondered what would it look like if Dry Bowser had Darkness effects in some of his attacks, mainly the F-Smash. The results were rather pleasant to be honest, so I decided to share it. His Super Armor frames are marked in Purple instead of Red.

Fire Mario Bros.
Fire Mario

I know it's easy to find Fire Marios anywhere, however, I don't like it when all moves involve Fire. Me, for instance, decided to make my own Fire Mario, which is a more subtle one. His F-Air and his Mario Tornado include some Fire effects, as well as obviously they will ignite the opponent on Fire upon contact.

Fire Luigi
Mario's younger brother, the so beloved Luigi, was not left behind. It was a bit more complicated in his case since Green Fire effects were a bit more complex than Mario's Red Fire. But here it is! His F-Smash, F-Air and Luigi Cyclone's last hitbox will show off his awesome Green Fire effects and ignite the opponent on, again, Green Fire. The ignition of the opponent is resolved only if the opponent is hit with the moves' furthermost hitboxes.

I've also added, in the same file, some small mods for Mr. L! Giving his Side B (both the Green Missile and the Misfire) and the Up-B attacks the Darkness Attribute. The rest of the attacks are the same as a regular Luigi's costume.

Fire for Roy's F-Smash
Pretty simple and self-explanatory. I decided to make it so when Roy connects his F-Smash on the sweetspot it burns the opponent. Take notice that Roy has 4 hitboxes during this attack, and 3 of the are the "sweetspot". The innermost 2 hitboxes, however, are the ones that will cause this effect. This applies for all costumes.

ALSO ADDED:
  • Greedy Wario: Wario's plumber costumes have a coin effect (sound included) to his D-tilt, U-Air and second Jab. As if Wario couldn't be more annoying!
  • Firey Fox: Fox's Brawl costumes have fire effects on his U-Smash, and his U-Air, while not having fire effects, will burn the opponent on the sweetspot.
  • Firey Falco: Falco's Brawl costumes have fire effects on his B-Air, and his D-Air, while not having fire effects, will burn the opponent on the sweetspot.
  • Lightning Wolf: Wolf's vBrawl costumes will have an electric effect upon hitting the opponent with his Up-B and his F-Smash's sweetspot. I reduced the hitlag enough so these changes don't affect the gameplay.
  • Dark Link: Link's Dark Link costume will have his sword trails in red rather than blue. No other changes made.
  • Accurate Dry Bowser: Pretty much the se modifications done to Dark Dry bowser, but with Blue effects and explosion for the F-Smash.
If you wish to see some images, go to the "images" folder! Sorry, I'd put them here, but img.ur takes forever to load for me.

YOU CAN FIND EVERYTHING HERE

To-do List:
  • Do some fixes to Light/Dark Beam Samus: Try to re-integrate the Sword Glow for the Dark U-Smash and F-Air (with a purple tone, like Marth's Neutral B) and find less cartoony Sparkle effects for Light D-Tilt, U-Smash and F-Air.
  • Dark Pit: See if I am able to change the arrow's particles to purple for that costume and maybe do other stuff. Don't expect this one so much, as Pit's PSA filesize is really annoying I heard. (But again, so is Samus')
  • Manlier Captain Falcon: Pink Captain Falcon, but with MANLIER effects for some of his moves.
Not exactly taking requests, but I might add some suggestions to the list.
Also, all the mods I do are and will be purely aesthetic, and should not change how a character plays, so game changing modifications are not a thing under my consideration.

Last edited:

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
Looks good! Does this only affect the slot of the Light Suit or all of her costumes? Because using the Light/Dark beam with the Fusion Suit would feel a bit weird lol.

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
Looks good! Does this only affect the slot of the Light Suit or all of her costumes? Because using the Light/Dark beam with the Fusion Suit would feel a bit weird lol.
Yup. Only affects Samus' Light Suit Alt costume, precisely. I'm thinking of doing some editing on Samus' Fusion Suit by taking out some Ice effects so the only Ice-based attacks are the missiles, given her Fusion Suit is supposed to not support the Ice Beam, but that's for later.

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
Yup. Only affects Samus' Light Suit Alt costume, precisely. I'm thinking of doing some editing on Samus' Fusion Suit by taking out some Ice effects so the only Ice-based attacks are the missiles, given her Fusion Suit is supposed to not support the Ice Beam, but that's for later.
Sweet! *starts downloading* It's great you want to see this accuracy with her alternate costumes because, as a Metroid fan myself, this is awesome. That Fusion suit idea is pretty good, too. Thank you for doing this :D

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
Sweet! *starts downloading* It's great you want to see this accuracy with her alternate costumes because, as a Metroid fan myself, this is awesome. That Fusion suit idea is pretty good, too. Thank you for doing this :D
Thanks! I'm also a huge Metroid fan myself, and a Samus main, on top of that.
I was actually thinking of even changing the Charge Beam's colors to yellow, because of that being the actual color of her Power Beam (because that's no way Prime's Wave Beam). However, I found out how to do that and the process might be to long and tiring, but I might do it as well someday.
Of course, I'm not only limited to Samus. I'm also working on a Dark Dry Bowser PSA, giving Dry Bowser Darkness effects on some of his attacks except the flam breath (mainly his F-Smash).
Please tell me how did my PSA work for you in case some fixing needs to be done.

Narpas_sword

That's awesome, i tried something like this in 3.0 but gave up once i finished being a student and got a job lol.
Have you got it affecting the Dark Suit slot too?

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
That's awesome, i tried something like this in 3.0 but gave up once i finished being a student and got a job lol.
Have you got it affecting the Dark Suit slot too?
I could do that, but since the Dark Suit slot is just a mere recolor, I was skeptical about it. I can make a version where it affects but costumes if you guys would like. I'll just try so it doesn't mess with the filesize so much. It was hard to keep the filesize smal so it won't freeze the game as soon as Samus is selected.

Well... It sure looks like the Fusion suit...

It is, but it isn't. The Fusion Suit that is put in Project M is the default Fusion Suit that is a result of Samus' DNA being affected by a Metroid's DNA, along with the rest of her Power Suit, which was taken by the X parasite.
At the end of Fusion, she fuses with a SA-X core to take back what was left of her Power Suit along with her Ice Beam. That only works, however, with that orange, nameless suit (Which is called Omega Fusion Suit by fans), and not with the default Fusion Suit depicted in Project M.

Narpas_sword

The Phazon suit sure looks like the Varia suit.

But i sure as hell know which one you can walk through Phazon with =)

I could do that, but since the Dark Suit slot is just a mere recolor, I was skeptical about it. I can make a version where it affects but costumes if you guys would like. I'll just try so it doesn't mess with the filesize so much. It was hard to keep the filesize smal so it won't freeze the game as soon as Samus is selected.
Yea, i had a problem with filesize when i was doing it, was the main reason i stopped.

Last edited:

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet

Yea, i had a problem with filesize when i was doing it, was the main reason i stopped.
Tell me about it. I had to redo this PSA like 3 times in order to find a way to deal with the filesize.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord

It is, but it isn't. The Fusion Suit that is put in Project M is the default Fusion Suit that is a result of Samus' DNA being affected by a Metroid's DNA, along with the rest of her Power Suit, which was taken by the X parasite.
At the end of Fusion, she fuses with a SA-X core to take back what was left of her Power Suit along with her Ice Beam. That only works, however, with that orange, nameless suit (Which is called Omega Fusion Suit by fans), and not with the default Fusion Suit depicted in Project M.

Touché

Last edited:

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
OP Updated

-Added Mostly Iceless Fusion Suit Samus, Mini-Shinespark and Dark Dry Bowser.
  • Mostly Iceless Fusion Suit Samus and Mini-Shinespark all come together with Light/Dark Beam Samus. There's the Light/Dark Beam Only version of Samus in the Folder. I'll make a Fusion-Only version and a Shinespark-less version sometime later.
  • Dark Dry Bowser also includes a modification to Bowser's Silver Costume: his U-Air ignites the opponent on fire.
-Learned how to use Spoilers in here to make the thread look more organized.

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
Awesome

Is it possible to make the Shinespark a little less orange, i guess, a bit pinker, an a bit lighter?
Sure thing! Can you post a picture or something I can get reference from (as to the exact color tone)? Just so I don't stick with trial and error and stuff :laugh:

Narpas_sword

Sure thing! Can you post a picture or something I can get reference from (as to the exact color tone)? Just so I don't stick with trial and error and stuff :laugh:
It kinda flashes between these colours. not sure if that's possible.
Best to make something unique than try and copy, is transparency possible?

Last edited:

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
It kinda flashes between these colours. not sure if that's possible.
Best to make something unique than try and copy, is transparency possible?

Transparency is pretty easy, as the Alpha of the Color Overlay is one required parameter to put in that effect.
Anyways, I am aware she flashes on both colors, but like you said, copying this exactly wouldn't work. Instead, I thought of making samus flash brightly (like in the first pic) during the first 3 active frames (meaning the bright flash will go with the sweetspot frames), then making her switch to a more reddish color (like the second pic) and fade out. Sounds like a lot is going on, but is definitely more subtle than the bright Orange one it had. I uploaded that version already in the same folder, replacing the last one. Hope you like that one better ^^

On Sweetspot

After the first 3 frames, then quickly fades away.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
You're not the first person to have thought of the changes to Dry Bowser, which is awesome. The other altered PSA has aura instead of darkness. The Samus ones are very cool as well, especially the Shinespark one.

Narpas_sword

can you make her transform between forms using down d-pad??
between what? all
Transparency is pretty easy, as the Alpha of the Color Overlay is one required parameter to put in that effect.
Anyways, I am aware she flashes on both colors, but like you said, copying this exactly wouldn't work. Instead, I thought of making samus flash brightly (like in the first pic) during the first 3 active frames (meaning the bright flash will go with the sweetspot frames), then making her switch to a more reddish color (like the second pic) and fade out. Sounds like a lot is going on, but is definitely more subtle than the bright Orange one it had. I uploaded that version already in the same folder, replacing the last one. Hope you like that one better ^^

On Sweetspot

After the first 3 frames, then quickly fades away.

That's looking awesome.

Now to put blue trails when samus runs =p

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
You're not the first person to have thought of the changes to Dry Bowser, which is awesome. The other altered PSA has aura instead of darkness. The Samus ones are very cool as well, especially the Shinespark one.
I saw the Aura one, which was the one that inspired me to do this one. I just thought Darkness was more fitting.
can you make her transform between forms using down d-pad??
You mean between Ice and Fire or to ZSS? Either way, I'm not intended to perform any changes that will affect the game mechanics in any way, and allowing a transformation with any other button other than the ones already intended is a big change. I, however, know how to do that.
between what? all

That's looking awesome.

Now to put blue trails when samus runs =p
You mean during the Shinespark animation? I actually want to do that since I started this PSA. The Boost Ball uses a Sword Glow effect (like the ones used the the Ice F-Air and U-Smash). I just can't seem to figure out how to put it in the right spot.

Does anyone have any feedback on the PSA's after testing them?

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
Yes to turn from samus to zss!:D
Well, like I said, I'm not doing this because PMDT removed Samus' ability to change to ZSS by taunting for a reason, and I'm not willing to do eny edits that will affect the mechanics of the game.

bngmn

Smash Cadet
Not even as a third downloadable option?
Also have a suggestion for the light suit costume, an electric/paralyze effect for down b bombs, to stay true to the prime series!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Didn't the PMBR add a Light effect to the list of flags? Seems like that one would be a tad more functional when assaulting opponents with the Light Beam, even if the Light Beam is known for its Plasma Beam-like properties.

Speaking of accurate Samus, something that's always bothered me is her hilariously off-model Charge Shot. Samus isn't Megaman, and her charge shots have never been big dumb anime blasts of energy. Now, I know you're not a modeler (or at least, I presume you aren't), but have you thought of giving Samus a more accurate Charge Shot? I'm mainly referring to giving her some combination of Plasma/Spazer/Wide/Wave Beams, to simulate that unique storm of energy that appeared in Samus's 2-D outings.

You seem like a big Metroid fan (which I greatly admire), so I thought I'd bounce the idea off of you.

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
Not even as a third downloadable option?
Also have a suggestion for the light suit costume, an electric/paralyze effect for down b bombs, to stay true to the prime series!
Transformations are out of my list of interests for now.
I also don't want to mess with paralyze or electric effects since they also affect the mechanics. Increasing hitlag to a move can lead to unintended combos that would only work with that costume. That is why Dr. Mario's F-Smash now does a Light effect instead of electrocuting.
Pretty good stuff, always thought light and dark beam would look great on the Light Suit.
Thanks!
Didn't the PMBR add a Light effect to the list of flags? Seems like that one would be a tad more functional when assaulting opponents with the Light Beam, even if the Light Beam is known for its Plasma Beam-like properties.

Speaking of accurate Samus, something that's always bothered me is her hilariously off-model Charge Shot. Samus isn't Megaman, and her charge shots have never been big dumb anime blasts of energy. Now, I know you're not a modeler (or at least, I presume you aren't), but have you thought of giving Samus a more accurate Charge Shot? I'm mainly referring to giving her some combination of Plasma/Spazer/Wide/Wave Beams, to simulate that unique storm of energy that appeared in Samus's 2-D outings.

You seem like a big Metroid fan (which I greatly admire), so I thought I'd bounce the idea off of you.
Not sure if the light effect works with all characters. I think it works just like External Graphic Effects. I also thought of using a different effect, but I don't want to try with electric effects for the reasons stated above.
I had the idea of changing Samus' Charge Shot for something less goofy and more accurate, to at least be reminiscent of the regular Power Beam, but I figured that even changing the colors of the Charge Shot is really difficult for me to do. Not being able to change its electrifying properties due to the reasons stated above and the fact that projectiles are hard to mess with don't help either. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
And Metroid is my life <3

Also, does anyone have and idea of what is the Flag for Luigi's Green Fire effect when hitting opponents? I tried 0F and 1F and they freeze the game upon selecting the stage.

Juken

Smash Ace
Can you tell me or point me to a tutorial on how to do costume specific stuff? I want to have the fitpit05 (dark pit) costume use purple arrow particles and Dark Pit's Smash 4 voice lines. Also to maybe change the attack trail colors to silver to fit the recolor I did for his bow.

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
Can you tell me or point me to a tutorial on how to do costume specific stuff? I want to have the fitpit05 (dark pit) costume use purple arrow particles and Dark Pit's Smash 4 voice lines. Also to maybe change the attack trail colors to silver to fit the recolor I did for his bow.
All you need is to use is the program PSA.
Right now I can't link you to any tutorial because this computer I have sucks, but these are easy to find in here.
But if I find out how to edit the arrow particles and how to mess with sounds, I could also do that and post it here, because I've been thinking of doing that.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Idk what it is, but effect15 in brawlbox is what they use for Luigi's green fire.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Not exactly what I'm asking for. I'm looking for the Flag ID that will let a hitbox the opponent in Green Flames on contact.
And I told you, in BBox it's called Effect15.

Both Green Missile and the Flame Jump Punch use that effect.

AFAIK, no one knows why that happens. Using that effect in VBrawl produces no obvious effect.

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
OP UPDATED:
-Light/Dark Beam Samus' F-Smash (during Light Mode) had it's sparkles' positioning fixed. Also, her Taunt switch Flash effect is more visible.
-Dark Dry Bowser's Purple Super Armor is now more visible and consistent with the default Red Super Armor.
-Fire Bowser included in Dry Bowser's Download. Adds Fire to his F-Smash and U-Air.
-Added Fire Mario Bros., each with Fire effects on some of their attacks.
-Fire Luigi includes Dark Mr. L, adding Darkness attribute to his Up-B and Side-B.
-Added Fire F-Smash Roy. Just regular Roy, but his F-Smash will burn the opponent upon hitting with the sweetspot.

More info on the first post, hope you guys like it!

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Had another thought.
What can you do with the Super Wave dash?

Would it be possible to add in the boost ball trail and change the morphball to the shinespark colour too?

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
Had another thought.
What can you do with the Super Wave dash?

Would it be possible to add in the boost ball trail and change the morphball to the shinespark colour too?
I thought of it, but currently I can't seem to find that move in the .pac file. Sounds fancy but not going to give it priority for now. Thanks for the suggestion, though ^^

Narpas_sword

It should be added into the downB move.

iirc, it involves a bunch of If statements checking the position of the controller on certain frames.

Last edited:

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
These small changes are great! I really like this kind of stuff. That fire f-smash Roy makes so happy as a Roy main!

Also, how about a blue Fire bird (up B) for Falco? I did one once by myself but I couldn't figure how to change the particles :( The characters would still get burned with fire instead of get aura particles (which was my idea to simulate blue fire) and other small details that didn't fit. Another idea I thought about was adding darkness elements to Zelda's black costume. But that's just if you're in the mood to something else lol.

Top Bottom