• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Game & Watch Bucket Equation

Schiller

Smash Rookie
A while ago I was interested in what the equation was that determines the damage produced by G&W's bucket, his down-b. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I decided to figure it out myself.

The process of this was really easy, took less than an hour. I just turned off staling in 20xx and checked move damages (by hitting G&W) and bucket hit damages (by hitting the opponent). I made a table of the three projectile component damages, calculated sums, and recorded the damage done by the bucket for those three projectiles. With the data produced I made a graph of the projectile sums and damage values, looked for a trend line, and viola!

I found that the equation for the bucket is:

D = 1.5 * (Pd1 + Pd2 + Pd3) + 5

D = Full bucket damage (all three hits do this much damage individually)
Pd1, 2, 3 = Damage of each projectile caught in the bucket

Knockback definitely has a similar equation, but as there is no on-screen readout for knockback I could not calculate it.

Some other bits of information I found in this process were:

1 - If you lose a stock the bucket will not lose charge, but the Pd values will all be set to zero. For example, if I have a full bucket of Falco lasers (3%) it would normally hit for 18.5%, but if G&W loses a stock then the Pd values will all be set to 0, so each hit of the bucket release will only be 5%, with whatever base value that exists for knockback.
2 - Releasing a full bucket in the air does more knockback than releasing it on the ground.
3 - Interestingly, Falco and Fox standing lasers can both be caught in G&W's bucket even if G&W is facing the opposite direction.

If someone is interested in finding the knockback equation, all you would need to check is the knockback base value, subtract that from a measured bucket hit knockback, and then divide by the knockback sum to find the multiplier (if it follows the same equation format). As noted above these values might be different for an aerial bucket compared to a grounded bucket.

Habilecho

Smash Cadet
Also interesting to note is that when a move gets absorbed by the bucket, that move is not staled. Three PK flashes in a row all count for full damage for example.

Schiller

Smash Rookie
Just verified this, cool! The bucket does take current staling into account, but does not contribute to the stale queue.

Top Bottom