• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

moves getting repetitive?

trio1000

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or are some moves in brawl getting redone over and over again for different characters?

like bowser, yoshi and king dedede or ike, and kirby whose up b's are basically the same thing

and a lot of a moves too like arials.

i guess its to be expected with so many characters in brawl

Wreked

Smash Lord
Is it just me or are some moves in brawl getting redone over and over again for different characters?

like bowser, yoshi and king dedede or ike, and kirby whose up b's are basically the same thing

and a lot of a moves too like arials.

i guess its to be expected with so many characters in brawl
Didn't sakurai said that he wanted the game to be more areial? I think he did.

Puppet Master

Smash Cadet
ok........:confused:
dont feel bad...i too also felt this way a few days ago but then i just remembered that Sakurai made a promise to us that characters wont be clones...he kept his promises so far so i trust him with making the characters moves.....

i personally would have made the King's Jet Hammer his Neutral B insted of down B

Jammer

Smash Lord
your wrong ,your a noob Go curl up and ..... well u know...
Don't listen to him, trio. I don't see how your question could possibly be construed as stupid. It's a legitimate question that doesn't have an easy answer.

I will attempt an answer: Yes, many characters have very similar moves. The fact is, I think, that it's impossible to make them very different without using completely crazy ideas.

Up Bs are the trickiest to make unique, I think, because their purpose is to get you back on the platform (or up to the ledge). For many characters, the only way to do this without making it silly is to make their Up B just a third jump that does damage. In Melee, the Marios, Luigi, Marth and Roy, Samus, and really more than half the characters just had the simple "third jump" Up B.

Dedede, Ike, etc. having that quick drop at the end of their Up Bs actually brings more variety than Melee had. So it seems that Sakurai is branching out.

Also, if all the characters' moves are completely unlike each other, the game wouldn't seem very coherent.

Tin

Smash Journeyman
Sure, it looks repetitive in terms of looks, but the mechanics are totally different. Therefore, it's not a big deal.

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
its impossible to have a unique move for each character, but making each character play differently is good enough. Its like Street Fighter, Ryu, Ken, and Akuma, all practically have the same moveset, but they play differently, which makes them all of them unique. And beside the "repetitive" special move so far is the Air pounding for bowser, dehdeh, and Yoshi and that aerial sword move for kirby and Ike. And the aerial move for each character are not the same, they look similar, but they are not the same.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Brawl is an entirely different game, some moves will be like Melee, but I'm expecting most of them will be new.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is a valid question.

The problem is that there are only too many "core" Aerial move types that you can design. It's the subtle differences which give them originality in the end. I'm sure that Aether, Final Cutter and Dedede Jump will play out very differently despite sharing a similar concept.

And they have a basis in the original games too, you have to admit that SDDD Jump is just so Dedede.

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
i personally would have made the King's Jet Hammer his Neutral B insted of down B
They probably did this so Kirby wouldn't have two hammers, but it would have been awesome seeing Kirby with a jet hammer!

Moves may seem the say, but they are used differently. Bowser's Down B and Yoshi's Down B (In Melee) may seem the same, but Bowser's has more lag and can be used for recovery. Would you use Yoshi's down B to recover? Probably not, but it would be funny ><

Brisk

Smash Rookie
They've been copying moves since 64, even regular attacks like Falcon/Mario's upair are pretty much identical in appearance, and Kirby/Jigglypuff being really similar in appearance didn't help with how many attacks they shared.

Still, I don't think it's too noticeable. They've been changing some moves up, like Mario's FLUDD, and the mechanics between moves are going to be different either way. The Melee clones worked pretty differently from each other, so it's not like the characters are all gonna be similar.

trio1000

Smash Apprentice
now that i think about it your right, there is a big limitation on what the move can be for an up b and they have made up some other pretty unique moves

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Just in curiosity, how are Yoshi, Bowser, and Dedede's Up B's similar?
All three of them are completely different... Yoshi's is Egg Throw, Bowser's is still the Spinning Shell (i think) attack (can't remember exact name), and Dedede's is a high jump.
And Kirby hasn't been confirmed yet, you never know, he might not have Final Cutter in the final version, or he might.

But, in any case, I know what you're saying, but I can't say anything on the general subject because I haven't seen the characters' fighting styles up close that much, having not gone to E for All.

trio1000

Smash Apprentice
Just in curiosity, how are Yoshi, Bowser, and Dedede's Up B's similar?
All three of them are completely different... Yoshi's is Egg Throw, Bowser's is still the Spinning Shell (i think) attack (can't remember exact name), and Dedede's is a high jump.
And Kirby hasn't been confirmed yet, you never know, he might not have Final Cutter in the final version, or he might.

But, in any case, I know what you're saying, but I can't say anything on the general subject because I haven't seen the characters' fighting styles up close that much, having not gone to E for All.
sorry, i messed up but you know the moves i meant, their ground pounds.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
i just hope their arent any (or atleast not many) clones like in melee how fox/falco and cap falc./gannondorf are too much alike. I'd rather see falco and gannondorf get new moves and have more unique characters in general than to have a ton of character who are all very similar

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
For those who said its almost impossible to make a different type of animation of a move i agree. theres a set amount of moves we can do. spin, jab wiggle etc. you cant do moves with your body what some people can do like you. Im asian me no make good sense of words.

Rex+

Smash Ace
Some moves share the same qualities; i.e. Kirby's Final Cutter and Ike's Aether are very similar, they're just souped up to match their character and they way they do it in their respective games.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
This is the very reason that it's a bad thing if we have too many characters. I actually discuss this very thing in my blog today.

I mean, there are only so many game mechanics for moves we can have, you know? How many ways can we make a "ground pound" different or unique?

Jammer

Smash Lord
I mean, there are only so many game mechanics for moves we can have, you know? How many ways can we make a "ground pound" different or unique?
Although you can't have 20 unique concepts for a ground pound, you can tweak the range, speed, damage, lag, knockback, etc. to make each ground pound in the game very different from the others.

Top Bottom