• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movement Tips?

lucasado

Smash Apprentice
Been getting into melee more and im having trouble with my movement. I mainly play space animals and I can waveshine most of the time but here and there I will get stuck in the shine. I get stuck in my movement alot for the most part, when I dashdance it takes me a few tries to get it going. Also when I want to dash immediately I sometimes end up walking. Because im having trouble moving I've been rolling alot out of frustration and becoming predictable. I've been playing Project M more than melee recently and the movement is so much different. I can move how I want in PM without any problems but Melee is harder of course so im trying to loosen up my movement. Any tips how to?

oats_

Smash Apprentice
I used to have trouble with accidentally turning around in shine. You need to make sure you can consistently waveshine backwards as well. I had to fix the way I was moving the stick while waveshining, you should start while it is in neutral and then go down rather than hold it down right/down left (if thats what you do).

SAUS

Smash Ace
Walking instead of dashing usually happens because you are trying to dash too early. The "smash" input of the stick is registered while you are in the lag of some other move or landing animation and then it just reads you holding the stick sideways.

There's this epic phenomenon that occurs when you do this as well. If you are trying to dash dance after landing and you input the run too early, you will turn around (assuming you are trying to dash backwards first). There is a short period during the turn around (slow turn around, as in starting to walk backwards as opposed to dash backwards) that you cannot begin to dash. If you try to dash back the other way (dash dance) during this animation, you will get another turn around when that one is finished, and you can cause your character to repeatedly turn around. My friend always thinks his controller is broken lol.

Waveshining will probably just take lots of practice until you are comfortable with it. Just remember that being faster is not always the solution. You have to be accurate first, and then remove any wasted frames by beginning your next action sooner to increase speed.

lucasado

Smash Apprentice
I used to have trouble with accidentally turning around in shine. You need to make sure you can consistently waveshine backwards as well. I had to fix the way I was moving the stick while waveshining, you should start while it is in neutral and then go down rather than hold it down right/down left (if thats what you do).
Yeah thats a huge problem of mine too, thought I was the only one. I can waveshine fowards fine but when its backwards I turn around in my shine. I do start it holding down then left/right but i'll try the neutral position, sounds like it'll fix that issue. Thanks.

Last edited:

lucasado

Smash Apprentice
Walking instead of dashing usually happens because you are trying to dash too early. The "smash" input of the stick is registered while you are in the lag of some other move or landing animation and then it just reads you holding the stick sideways.

There's this epic phenomenon that occurs when you do this as well. If you are trying to dash dance after landing and you input the run too early, you will turn around (assuming you are trying to dash backwards first). There is a short period during the turn around (slow turn around, as in starting to walk backwards as opposed to dash backwards) that you cannot begin to dash. If you try to dash back the other way (dash dance) during this animation, you will get another turn around when that one is finished, and you can cause your character to repeatedly turn around. My friend always thinks his controller is broken lol.

Waveshining will probably just take lots of practice until you are comfortable with it. Just remember that being faster is not always the solution. You have to be accurate first, and then remove any wasted frames by beginning your next action sooner to increase speed.
The animation lag makes sense, I always try do DD or Dash asap after I do a move. Seems like I gotta slow down my inputs a bit and work on my accuracy then speed ofc. Thanks for the explanation of my problems!

polypuff

Smash Rookie
I would try getting the hang of something slow, then proceed to replicate the movement faster and faster until it eventually works.

Top Bottom