• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movement practice

Genbu

Smash Rookie
I've been recently looking for new ways to practice movement for sheik, but I cant seem to find any good ways besides just wavedashing and wavelanding all around the stages. Are there any specific stuff that you guys do to practice movement?

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
I've been recently looking for new ways to practice movement for sheik, but I cant seem to find any good ways besides just wavedashing and wavelanding all around the stages. Are there any specific stuff that you guys do to practice movement?[/
Maybe you could try needle canceling or dash dancing? I am new to sheik lol

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Trotting, Pivoting, Shield Dropping, Moonwalks, Run Crouch Turn WD Back comes to mind

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Once you know the terms, make strict rules for executing the technique that work for you. For pivots, I find conceptualizing a "throw" of the di-stick one way -> out of DashDance holding di-stick toward the other <- helps. Like how you'd physically "throw" a punch, but without following-through (aka holding direction). Does pivots for me every time. Must be done before you're character's out of DashDancing "zone".

Trip got a good 1. Run crouch turn wd is sick. Also Run WD forward Dash back WD back I see a lot. More distance but not as fast first.

As far as using it to improve your mobility, the above are all super important. But focusing on levels of importance, I feel a sense of duty to remind you how much movement can restrict you no matter how good, if done at wrong time.

I'll just guess you're in a stage where once you start getting the hang of better mobility techniques, you may be moving TOO much. A realization many have during the "Advanced" stage of their overall learning curve is the importance of being STILL. Whether it's the flexible version; making efforts to never "give up" more distance between you & enemy than ur enemy, or the more SUPER strict priority of following up your D-throw combos+chases. Sometimes we find ourselves too excited to NOT walk & just DO a simple up-tilt or regrab, for example.

You've probably already noticed this in videos, where your favorite pro in their combo video seems almost like a machine. They're not pressing ANY extra buttons that don't EXACTLY execute their planned combos. They use their reaction window to calm down, then execute only what they need.

Miscellaneous other things like the HEAVY importance of all the DI's (DI/ADI/SDI/ASDI/DSDI/etc). People don't realize how much they let go of their controller sticks when sent flying or while seeing the heavy attack coming. They get upset for a split second & kind've just sit there. USE those moments EVERY time. The "o ****" & "**** this" moments.

Use it to trick opponent to expect you somewhere other than where you actually will be. & most importantly, practicing movement with extreme prejudice toward keeping available your most reliable attacks by knowing the fastest way to STOP moving. Especially with platform play, like ISAI (walk2dropthru) + Shield Drops, in that order. They make available quicker more attacks.

One last tip pertaining to mobility. L-canceling. You might say this is noob stuff but let me point out something crucial to remember for those not above 50% success rate yet. L-canceling is POINTLESS unless you make use of those extra frames. It's a very small window of opportunity when you think about the importance laid on knowing how to L-cancel. Proving my point to know your scenarios to follow up with faster attacks to keep the combo going mostly in the air rather than the ground.

Longer than anybody else likes to post or even read around here. That's why I'm too awesome to be liked. But I know somebody out there is gonna get a kick out of it, regardless of this thread dying once I post in it. Love smash, hate the "wider" community. GL Genbu.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Once you know the terms, make strict rules for executing the technique that work for you. For pivots, I find conceptualizing a "throw" of the di-stick one way -> out of DashDance holding di-stick toward the other <- helps. Like how you'd physically "throw" a punch, but without following-through (aka holding direction). Does pivots for me every time. Must be done before you're character's out of DashDancing "zone".

Trip got a good 1. Run crouch turn wd is sick. Also Run WD forward Dash back WD back I see a lot. More distance but not as fast first.

As far as using it to improve your mobility, the above are all super important. But focusing on levels of importance, I feel a sense of duty to remind you how much movement can restrict you no matter how good, if done at wrong time.

I'll just guess you're in a stage where once you start getting the hang of better mobility techniques, you may be moving TOO much. A realization many have during the "Advanced" stage of their overall learning curve is the importance of being STILL. Whether it's the flexible version; making efforts to never "give up" more distance between you & enemy than ur enemy, or the more SUPER strict priority of following up your D-throw combos+chases. Sometimes we find ourselves too excited to NOT walk & just DO a simple up-tilt or regrab, for example.

You've probably already noticed this in videos, where your favorite pro in their combo video seems almost like a machine. They're not pressing ANY extra buttons that don't EXACTLY execute their planned combos. They use their reaction window to calm down, then execute only what they need.

Miscellaneous other things like the HEAVY importance of all the DI's (DI/ADI/SDI/ASDI/DSDI/etc). People don't realize how much they let go of their controller sticks when sent flying or while seeing the heavy attack coming. They get upset for a split second & kind've just sit there. USE those moments EVERY time. The "o ****" & "**** this" moments.

Use it to trick opponent to expect you somewhere other than where you actually will be. & most importantly, practicing movement with extreme prejudice toward keeping available your most reliable attacks by knowing the fastest way to STOP moving. Especially with platform play, like ISAI (walk2dropthru) + Shield Drops, in that order. They make available quicker more attacks.

One last tip pertaining to mobility. L-canceling. You might say this is noob stuff but let me point out something crucial to remember for those not above 50% success rate yet. L-canceling is POINTLESS unless you make use of those extra frames. It's a very small window of opportunity when you think about the importance laid on knowing how to L-cancel. Proving my point to know your scenarios to follow up with faster attacks to keep the combo going mostly in the air rather than the ground.

Longer than anybody else likes to post or even read around here. That's why I'm too awesome to be liked. But I know somebody out there is gonna get a kick out of it, regardless of this thread dying once I post in it. Love smash, hate the "wider" community. GL Genbu.
I really hope Genbu reads and responds to this post.
Lots of valueable points have been made!
I cant wait to read your response @ Genbu Genbu

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman

This is all really true stuff. Very very true.

Top Bottom