• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movement OOS (out of shield) and Shield Techniques

Falumps

Smash Rookie
REST OF TECHNIQUES COVERED IN GUIDE SECTION:
http://smashboards.com/guides/utilizing-marths-shield-shield-techniques-movement-oos.652/

Quick Primer

I plan on releasing this thread as soon as one of the techniques is covered, simply to get the knowledge behind the Marth community for the rest of the techniques and to get feedback on the layout, ideas and ways of improving this thread further. This will be a learning experience for myself and hopefully anyone who might come across this.
Thanks!

Feedback From The Community
If anyone can provide any more information, correct any information, frame data of the moves, ways of executing and videos of the techniques it would be more than appreciated.
Any member will be credited of any information / work they put forward.

What you can expect from this thread
In this thread I want to put forward my ideas and discuss ways with the community that Marths shield can be used to better his game.

Techniques covered
Shield Drop
Shield Pivot
D-tilt IASA Shield
Shield Stop
Wavedash / Dash OOS
Powershield
Light shield
Shield Pressure

In each section you will find:

• A video explaining how to execute the technique covered
  • Tips and tricks to learn how practice the technique
  • If applicable different approaches of preforming the technique
  • Frame data / Gifs / controller button movement
  • Scenarios when the technique is best used and how to implement it into your game
  • At the bottom of each thread you will find explanations of any terms or other techniques that were highlighted
Marth doesn't have the best shield in the game, and as Marth mains we have to accept this but we compensate for it with movement, gloriously smooth movement.

Techniques covered
Shield Drop:
SSBM Tutorial Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IQFgGm49aI

There are many ways of carrying out a shield drop and by implementing shield dropping into your game you increase both your defensive and offensive capability, by being able to drop through platforms and throw out a move, waveland on the stage or jump back up to the platform.

Scenario of when to use shield dropping:
You can utilize shield dropping if you are being attacked from below while on a platform.
For instance you are away to be up-tilted by a Marth, you bring up your shield, during the shield stun you can move your movement stick into the correct position to buffer the shield drop, once your shield stun ends you will drop through the platform and pull of a sick f-air chain to reverse Ken combo.

Running Shield drop:
Possibly the easiest method of learning how to shield drop
this is preformed by dashing across a platform and bringing up your shield while still holding the direction you dashed in
once your shield is up you can drop your movement stick down to the lower notch, hopefully you should drop down and you have now preformed a shield drop!

Practice:
When learning how to shield drop, go around the different stages and practice shield dropping on all of the platforms, once you are confident enough doing this plug in a player 2 Bowser with a handicap of 9, damage ratio of 0.5, leave your handicap at 1, then move punch-bag Bowser under a platform and ensure you are L-cancelling your moves.

Buffer - allows user to input a move 10 frames before the move can be executed.
L-cancelling - pressing L/R trigger 20 frames before you land on the ground after preforming an aerial move, doing this reduces the landing lag of said move.

To Write up:
Shield Pivot
D-tilt IASA Shield
Shield Stop
Wavedash / Dash OOS
Powershield
Light shield
Shield Pressure
Shield DI

Last edited:

Falumps

Smash Rookie
Nope, he just made a post.
Hey!

Good idea guys, I didn't realize there was a difference between a post and a guide, I will definitely turn this into a guide.

I assume the guide is the same as the posts in regards to the interaction with the community, comments etc

Falumps

Smash Rookie
Thats guide uploaded, you can find it in the guide section cheers for the feedback so fa,I have improved the guide quite abit so check it out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom