• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
When I taunted I used to do it for the cool poses. Later I realized the opponent might take it the wrong way and stopped doing it, but I don't think they actually ever took it the wrong way.
When I'm DeDeDe, I'll normally crouch instead of taunt. His pose is just so good. Mostly offline and with people I know.

Photon Jet

Smash Rookie
When I'm online, I usually taunt once when I KO my opponent just like what CPUs do in Super Smash Bros. Melee and then run to the other side of the field and back. Does that make me a bad player? If so then I should stop doing it.

Cook

Smash Master
For some reason I can't post in a new thread from my phone. Anyway, hey guys I'm Cook. I got 5th out of 73 last weekend at Great Revival, a WI tournament. Got totally wrecked by M2K and Olimar. Anyway what I want to know is, what do you guys think of DDD? Every match I played it seemed like the commentators were talking about how bad DDD is. I really think he's pretty decent though. Like, looking back at the matches I lost I see how dumbly I was playing and I def think both Diddy and Olimar are totally winnable matchups. Honestly, I hate ZSS the most at this point just because her up b is broken. What do you guys think? DDD good or bad as a character?

Also, I'm guessing that's the best solo DDD tournament placing so far overall. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
For some reason I can't post in a new thread from my phone. Anyway, hey guys I'm Cook. I got 5th out of 73 last weekend at Great Revival, a WI tournament. Got totally wrecked by M2K and Olimar. Anyway what I want to know is, what do you guys think of DDD? Every match I played it seemed like the commentators were talking about how bad DDD is. I really think he's pretty decent though. Like, looking back at the matches I lost I see how dumbly I was playing and I def think both Diddy and Olimar are totally winnable matchups. Honestly, I hate ZSS the most at this point just because her up b is broken. What do you guys think? DDD good or bad as a character?
D3 is a pretty bad character, but he's viable imo. Some points:

- Theoretically, at least in my book, Diddy is a winnable MU for D3. D3 has a lot of tools I feel that can force Diddy to rethink his approach on the ground, specifically his disjointed and meaty normals. Diddy can't just leave bananas on the ground in the MU and attempt to pressure from mid-range without respecting that. Same with Inhale, (to a lesser extent) same with Gordos---it's winnowed down to a manageable level, and the only thing D3 has the worry about is being overwhelmed by great buttons and speed instead of out and out stage control.

That said, I feel like Diddy still wins the MU and a lot of what I said there is purely theory because I honestly haven't played any really solid Diddy Kongs. I'm gonna see if I can test this in the future.

- Olimar is a pain in the ass, but as much as I've lost to the character in numerous matches, I do agree that it is at least in the territory of being winnable. Olimar can't exactly zone you out like some of the other zoning characters in this game. He's still chucking a ton of **** at you with little commitment and racking up damage, sure, he can't actually stop you from approaching. Pikmin cause little to no hitstun. You gotta use this get in on him, but be careful---good Olimars will see this coming and will just keep running and gunning. Try timing Gordo tosses in a way that don't get them reflected (when the hammer's hitbox collides with the Gordo and launches it) that keep him honest and pretty close to you. Once in there, just be on the lookout for his Smashes, grab him when you can, and you should be good.

Smooth Criminal

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

Also, I'm guessing that's the best solo DDD tournament placing so far overall. ;-)
In the future, please just edit your first post rather than making two posts only two minutes apart.

That's pretty good, though!
Personally, I think people underestimate Dedede. Those commentators included.
They usually point towards Gordo. Gordo's a double edged sword, but people have a habit of only looking at the side of the sword pointing towards us.
I'm not saying Dedede's one of the best characters in the game. Not even in the top ten, I don't think.
But I don't think he's terrible either.

El_Bardo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-3198-3275
Hey, just wanted to drop by and say Hi to all fellow DDD-mainers . I am a DDD Mainer since Brawl , located in Spain, so.. Yeah, Sup !:4dedede:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Hey, just wanted to drop by and say Hi to all fellow DDD-mainers . I am a DDD Mainer since Brawl , located in Spain, so.. Yeah, Sup !:4dedede:
Spain? ¿Tiene el ceceo? How's Smash community there? I know Germany and some of the Scandinavian countries are really into it, but I don't ever hear of a community in Spain.

El_Bardo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-3198-3275
Spain? ¿Tiene el ceceo? How's Smash community there? I know Germany and some of the Scandinavian countries are really into it, but I don't ever hear of a community in Spain.

In Smash 4 the Spain comunity is growing pretty strong, i find it strange that you never heard of us ! . The most famous players from our country are Marcbri and Greward, which ended 4th and 5th in the Cannes tournament that happened this last weekend !. We even have a online ranking where the current top 10 plays 2 days per week in streaming, Today i have to face-off a Rosalina player, wish me luck :4dedede:

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Hola, my name is Manuel. After playing some characters I decided on King DDD as my main since is the character I have the most fun playing as, and my 2-years old likes duck which apparently he resembles.

Also, I find making fun of people with the King hilarious. Jet hammer, crouching, gordos. I like the trolling thread a lot.

Anyways, nnid is manueluno. Usually I am active late on the weekends.

PS Please add me. I am growing tired of faceless FG players.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
What do you guys think? DDD good or bad as a character?
To really honest, he's not that great. He lacks any special characteristics. He doesn't have the safe roll and super armor like Yoshi, the ridiculous aerial mobility and quick attacks like Diddy, the pressure like Rosalina, or the combo power of ZZS. He is clunky and hard to use. He has potential though. His off-stage presence is nothing to be fooled with, and Dedede can KO super early if the opponent isn't careful. His Majesty just struggles too much was the approach. I love him to death, and I'll main him 'til I die.

Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Just wanted to say I beat a really good Sonic in bracket the other day, a great victory for our kind lol. He took game 1 then switched to Falcon when I tried to go Luigi on him, got one of my favorite matchups Falcon DDD and took game 2. He went back to Sonic and took me to Delfino game 3

Got him on a hard air dodge read while he was landing, dash attack killed at 75% on Delfino's walk-off from halfway across the stage lol

Last edited:

Twixer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Twiixer
Guess it's time to start poppin' out.

Man, DDD is just too fun for me honestly. Before he was just a pocket character of some sort, though I feel like I'm starting to do better with him than the other characters I play (mainly Wario, and starting to play DHD). But it's hard to resist the power of the HAMMER.

I'm also patiently waiting for my DDD amiibo to arrive. Ordered it about a month ago as a Japan import. Should be here this month for sure.

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! I may have posted here once or twice but I don't think I've ever formally introduced myself. My tag is Jdawg and I've been a DDD main since Brawl. I've been going to tournaments at Xanadu pretty much every week since Smash 4 dropped, using DDD about 80% of the time.

I'm really looking forward to collaborating with you guys. :)

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hola, my name is Manuel. After playing some characters I decided on King DDD as my main since is the character I have the most fun playing as, and my 2-years old likes duck which apparently he resembles.

Also, I find making fun of people with the King hilarious. Jet hammer, crouching, gordos. I like the trolling thread a lot.

Anyways, nnid is manueluno. Usually I am active late on the weekends.

PS Please add me. I am growing tired of faceless FG players.
Guess it's time to start poppin' out.

Man, DDD is just too fun for me honestly. Before he was just a pocket character of some sort, though I feel like I'm starting to do better with him than the other characters I play (mainly Wario, and starting to play DHD). But it's hard to resist the power of the HAMMER.

I'm also patiently waiting for my DDD amiibo to arrive. Ordered it about a month ago as a Japan import. Should be here this month for sure.
Hey everyone! I may have posted here once or twice but I don't think I've ever formally introduced myself. My tag is Jdawg and I've been a DDD main since Brawl. I've been going to tournaments at Xanadu pretty much every week since Smash 4 dropped, using DDD about 80% of the time.

I'm really looking forward to collaborating with you guys. :)
Happy to have new faces!
Make yourselves at home!

manueluno, feel free to make use of the Player Finder for finding people to duke it out with. I'm sure at least some of the players listed there would be happy to play you if you contact them. Add yourself there while you're at it!

Last edited:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Do you all you the fast fall nair, and up tilt combo? If not, give it a try. It works from 0 to late mid percents. On top of that, I'd like to ask if you guys pummel after a grab. I don't because I don't want to give the opponent time to prepare to DI. Is that dumb? Considering how often Dedede grabs, I sometimes feel like I'm missing out on an easy 25% per stock.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Will try it out next time. I found out yesterday that the King can kill Sheik with the last hit of a series of jabs if you get her a little above 100 per cent. Seems useful since how difficult it is some times to land a hit on her.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Anyone else struggle against Yoshi? He's a real pain in the ass for me. Every last one of them seem to play exactly the same, but I can't get around it. It's largely do to his particularly unlaggy moves including his roll, dair, bair, jab, and more. Extra emphasis on the stupid roll. Any tips from His Majesty's court on defeating the reptilian threat?

Last edited:

Fugibean

Smash Cadet
Hello I'm Fugibean. I think Dedede is sick because he is a fat penguin. Also his dash attack is hilarious.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Hey, guys, I'm a Villager main and I thought of picking up Dedede for fun (I just enjoyed him from Brawl and want to try him for 4 even though he's kind of different). What are some of his best options and strats I should use?

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
I like jet hammering people after returning from being KOd, while still having invincibilty frames.

They do not expect you to jump.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Mainly directed towards @ shrooby shrooby and @ Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal , but would appreciate answers for whoever can answer it.

What MUs does Dedede win or, at the very least, go even with? It doesn't have to be set in stone or anything, I'm just wondering what characters he can actually go against. Every time I visit a MU thread for Dedede, it always seems to talk about losing MUs...

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I know it wasn't directed at me, but I can say that Marth and Lucina don't do well against Dedede. Captain Falcon doesn't seem to be too much of an issue either. These are just one of His Majesty's subject's opinion. Shrooby and Smooth Criminal probably have a lot more to say.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I think Dedede does pretty well when controlling space against those three characters you mentioned. Not just space, but also the pace of the match. I think the more Dedede can play at his own pace, the better he tends to fare in a given match up. Characters with a significant speed advantage (Sonic) or those who can force Dedede to answer to their actions (basically anyone with a projectile IMO, but especially ZSS and Link) he has a good deal of trouble with.

Really, I think he does reasonably well when the other character has trouble escaping our pressure and can't just run away and force us to deal with them from a distance. How well he actually does in that admittedly very vague and broad description is going to vary with the character he's facing, but for example I don't mind playing against the likes of Falcon, Marth/Lucina, Bowser, DK, Ike, Greninja, and even some characters that would sort of fall under my "negative match up" criteria like Mega Man or Falco.

Hopefully you guys understand what I'm getting at, as my thoughts aren't fully formed yet so they might not be all that cohesive...but that's just some of my gut feeling I have after playing this game for the past few months now. In short, I think we do well against characters without a good projectile, or characters who aren't that much faster than Dedede, as well as a few that are faster but have trouble getting in because of Dedede's range. After that, it's probably down to player preference. I've seen some people mention Ness as a bad match but I don't really struggle with Ness in this game unless the player is just outright better than me anyways.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I get it. Put into laymen's, the King can't handle spam. Spam can be mindless and stupid like ZZS only approaching with the plasma, or it can be intelligent and skillful like Peach constantly floating at an altitute just out of Dedede's range. Regardless of the skill required, spam is a frustratingly effective strategy against Dedede because of his disgusting lack of priority in anything further than the neutral. On that note, it almost disturbs me than they were willing to nerf Dedede in this aspect with the "final" balancing update. Why make a bad character worse? Dedede has potential, but in order for him to shine, King Dedede needs to get close. It just so happens that is incredibly difficult against certain characters.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'm mixed on MUs. I can mostly handle Links (good ones, not just FG) on Final Destination or flat stages, but BattleField is to their advantage because of how they can control the platforms. Same thing for ROB and most spammers.
But there are characters like Pikachu and Diddy that are fast enough to not leave themselves open while spamming. My advice is to control the stage. Make the opponent have his back against the ledge. It limits their movement.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Mainly directed towards @ shrooby shrooby and @ Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal , but would appreciate answers for whoever can answer it.

What MUs does Dedede win or, at the very least, go even with? It doesn't have to be set in stone or anything, I'm just wondering what characters he can actually go against. Every time I visit a MU thread for Dedede, it always seems to talk about losing MUs...
Others kinda already hit the nail on the head.
Dedede dislikes match-ups where he has to come to them, essentially. Because he has trouble doing that more-so than others.
What he likes is characters who have to come to him.
The heavies, Marth/Lucina, etc.
But there's a line. He also doesn't like characters who beat him in neutral like Mario and Luigi. And characters who can make their way into his space really quickly like Sonic.

That said, characters who I think Dedede does well against...

:4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4link::4marth::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miisword::4pit::4darkpit::4wiifit::4zelda::4kirby::4wario:

But being that we haven't done any official discussion yet, it's a bit hard to say. Especially with regards to who Dedede goes even with.

Last edited:

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
I get it. Put into laymen's, the King can't handle spam. Spam can be mindless and stupid like ZZS only approaching with the plasma, or it can be intelligent and skillful like Peach constantly floating at an altitute just out of Dedede's range. Regardless of the skill required, spam is a frustratingly effective strategy against Dedede because of his disgusting lack of priority in anything further than the neutral. On that note, it almost disturbs me than they were willing to nerf Dedede in this aspect with the "final" balancing update. Why make a bad character worse? Dedede has potential, but in order for him to shine, King Dedede needs to get close. It just so happens that is incredibly difficult against certain characters.
I usually hit the plasma with a jab to cancel it.

I actually don't mind Links or Samus. Haven't fought too many Peaches. My issue are the Luigis that get away with everything without even paying for dinner.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
What do you do against Pit and Pittoo, @ shrooby shrooby ? It may be because how few I face, but I generally struggle against the two, Pit more than Pittoo.
We're at an advantage, I think, because (Edgy) Pit is gonna have trouble killing us.
Pit has a projectile, but can't live off it. He'll have to approach eventually.
Both of us have advantages and disadvantaged against each other in neutral, and we're both looking for follow-ups out of grabs.
Perhaps it's neutral, but I think it's in Dedede's favor. However slight it may be.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Haven't fought too many Peaches.
That was a personal example of mine. The Peach I faced was a *****, but I have to give some credit for being able pull off such difficult timing. As for the plasma shot, how do you cancel it: first, second, or rapid hit? Knowing that could be useful.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Others kinda already hit the nail on the head.
Dedede dislikes match-ups where he has to come to them, essentially. Because he has trouble doing that more-so than others.
What he likes is characters who have to come to him.
The heavies, Marth/Lucina, etc.
But there's a line. He also doesn't like characters who beat him in neutral like Mario and Luigi. And characters who can make their way into his space really quickly like Sonic.

That said, characters who I think Dedede does well against...

:4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4link::4marth::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miisword::4pit::4darkpit::4wiifit::4zelda::4kirby::4wario:

But being that we haven't done any official discussion yet, it's a bit hard to say. Especially with regards to who Dedede goes even with.
So you're telling me the only character that feels great to play besides Kirby, who's part of the Kirby franchise itself AND my favorite character behind Kirby will cover all the puffball's bad MUs?

If I start practicing Dedede, I can play my two favorite characters while covering almost every MU in the game that would destroy one of them alone...

Well, my long search for a secondary is over. I guess this means I need a monster to clobber myself now...?

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
So you're telling me the only character that feels great to play besides Kirby, who's part of the Kirby franchise itself AND my favorite character behind Kirby will cover all the puffball's bad MUs?

If I start practicing Dedede, I can play my two favorite characters while covering almost every MU in the game that would destroy one of them alone...

Well, my long search for a secondary is over. I guess this means I need a monster to clobber myself now...?
Welcome to His Majesty's court, fellow subject Reserved.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I also tend to agree that we're at a slight advantage over the Pits. As for Peach, I've really only played one or two that I mentioned here before, but she's really tricky to deal with. I'm not sure if it's a match-up I'd want to approach as Dedede, but I'd need more experience before I call it either way.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
That was a personal example of mine. The Peach I faced was a *****, but I have to give some credit for being able pull off such difficult timing. As for the plasma shot, how do you cancel it: first, second, or rapid hit? Knowing that could be useful.
The first jab, I guess the second works as well. Wouldn't rely on the spinning hammer thou. Doesn't matter how much the shot is charged as far as I remember, the hammer beats it.

Edit: I am talking about ZSS stun shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom