• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Not even the global changes benefit him at all.
Jab and Ftilt are like slightly better IF the opponent shields them which they won't.
:196:
Even better: the shield stun buff barely even affects jab. They can block jab 1 and roll away before you can get jab 2 out. There's no way you're hitting their shield with the rapid jab.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
So I'm just gonna say I was in a bit of a foul mood yesterday - probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. Realistically, I don't think I'm ever gonna drop Dedede, buffs or not...I've invested way to much time into this character and even my next best character (which is probably ROB) only performs almost as well just because he's a bit better than Dedede. In terms of results, my Dedede is simply more consistent. I very rarely have a bad day with Dedede, while I've had days where my ROB was utter garbage.

Even if I was to switch mains for viability reasons, they would probably either be co-mains with Dedede or Dedede would simply be delegated to a secondary. He's too fun not to keep using and he's pulled through for a lot of tough matches for me.

This. I'm mad too. I agree with you on just about everything you've said. But I've put too many hours into the character I can't just dump it in the trash.

Get used to your backs against the wall boys the future looks grim.

Doctor Troggy

Smash Rookie
Erm... Hello. I'm Doctor Troggy (aka MrTroggy or just Troggy). I too am a main of the King in Smash 4, I too enjoy his playstyle more than a majority of the cast and I too dislike the lack of buffs he's had. That's it really. I hope to learn a lot about our almighty ruler!

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I have broken so many shields in the last 24 hours. I know the update, in general, doesn't favor Dedede, but man does it feel good land that fsmash while they're helpless like that.

Last edited:

FrostBlitzkrieg

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bltzkrieg
Hello, my name's Matt, I also main Dedede with Metaknight as my other pick, and I'm first in my area (not that it means a lot) and I just made this account so it's my 2nd post.

squirtlemain9000

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bslic3r
3DS FC
4038-7197-9140
Hey guys. I know my username says otherwise, but the King is one of my smash mains! I'd love a sparring partner, if anyone wants to hit me up on wii u.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Hey guys! I just went to my first local tournament on Friday, and I exclusively played the king! My actual results weren't too impressive (32 man Double elimination: loss, win, win, loss), but my first game was against one of the best players in my area who had an amazing peach, and I came really close to winning, I took it to game 3 and I genuinely scared this guy. This weekly tourney had been going on for a while, and it was obvious that they had never seen a DDD main there because this match really attracted a crowd by game three, with people watching in awe as one of the best players was struggling with this new guy who was playing DDD of all things! He barely won, winning the last match with over 100% on him, and I was approached after the match by people who said I had an amazing DDD. The later matches of the tourney were streamed, but I didn't get there, but I turned a lot of heads! It was an amazing experience, and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
That's great that you performed as well as you did with the king. Sometimes it's the little victories that count more than your actual placement in the tournament. Plus having more representation is nice...I want to get back into the tourney scene soon myself.

Just a random thought of mine...what if Dedede could smack Gordo around himself after setting it up? I'm thinking like, doing an up-tilted Gordo, then hitting it with Fair to send it flying into someone's face. It would be a pretty interesting and fun use for the move I think.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
That would be really awesome and unique! I don't know if you've seen anything about Rivals of Aether, but it could be like when Kragg punches his rock and the shards go flying as a long ranged attack that can be aimed, which is really useful for Kragg because he is heavy and slow, like DDD. That would be awesome for DDD to have an attack like that!

The Banzai

Smash Rookie
NNID
parisigns2
Hey guys,I'm Banzai, a Dedede/Ness main.If anyone wants to play just PM me!

Last edited:

Ekkie

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatEK
yknow, itd be kinda cool if the hammer on gordo throw could reflect projectiles. it could come in handle, idk.

D

Deleted member

Surprised I haven't introduced myself here.

Name's Feelicks, a play on words and a nickname most people call me based off my real name Felix. Been maining Dedede since Brawl, and I also main him here in Smash 4 and co-main him in Project M alongside the Ice Climbers. I've played close to 1,000 battles with him and despite the fact many view him as bottom tier, I still love the big oaf and won't be dropping him anytime soon. He's just an amazingly fun character to play most of the time and some of the setups you can do with Gordos and his throws can be pretty insane. I'm going to my first tournament in a week and plan to use to King, so I hope things go well!

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
On that note, also haven't introduced myself yet, whoops.

Name's Gage, smasher from Iowa who plays way too many characters. Dedede's my for-sure main, though, despite thinking he's incredibly mediocre all things considered. Dude's fun, what can I say.

As for other notable characters I play: Doc, R.O.B., Pac-Man, every Fire Emblem rep (with a focus on Ike and Robin), Game & Watch, Wario, and the world's most fraudulent Greninja. None are particularly close to Dedede in terms of development.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Surprised I haven't introduced myself here.

Name's Feelicks, a play on words and a nickname most people call me based off my real name Felix. Been maining Dedede since Brawl, and I also main him here in Smash 4 and co-main him in Project M alongside the Ice Climbers. I've played close to 1,000 battles with him and despite the fact many view him as bottom tier, I still love the big oaf and won't be dropping him anytime soon. He's just an amazingly fun character to play most of the time and some of the setups you can do with Gordos and his throws can be pretty insane. I'm going to my first tournament in a week and plan to use to King, so I hope things go well!
You make sure to link us the stream if they have one or see if you/someone is recording matches.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi

RedstoneKilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
JABJAB928
I'm quite new to smashboards, and obviously I main D3, so I came here seeking a good community and people who are willing to help me improve my D3 abilities. I probably wouldn't be any help to any of you guys, as I'm quite an average player, so I don't think any of my tips would be very helpful. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
We should make a list of the top 5 Dededes, as voted by the community on this board. I know other boards have done that, and I kinda want to know who to look out for (I'm not the closest follower of the competetive scene outside of major famous players)

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Once again, Big D >> me. He's probably the best DDD, just not on streams a lot.

Idk how strong Spain is as a region but Bardo and Pitikla have been putting in mad work over there. Shrooby, CO18, Thrillerman, King James, and Rev.0 are all solid players as well. Gunblade, Atomsk and Vex have done well with DDD in the past, but I don't know how often they play them anymore.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
That begs a pretty good point. It's kind of hard to compare players internationally. Bardo seems to be the best to me, but it's hard to say since Bardo doesn't face the same competition as Big D and Jdawg.

Last edited:

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Yeah Jdawg is maybe the best Dedede we know of but I still feel that there is room to improve beyond that level. I think it is possible to play even better with Dedede than what we've seen.
O it definitely is possible to play better. I think even Jdawg would agree that he didn't punish as well as he could, still great to see him impress the commentators.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I dunno, I think Big D is our best overall. He's got the results (Top 60 at EVO and 17th at Paragon). I'd love to see the Eurodedes come overseas and play in a big international tourney, though. Or vice-versa, having our best and brightest compete over there.

Anyways, hate to swerve off-topic here, but I was wondering about something. Are ya'll interested in revamping certain aspects of our subforum? @SalsaSavant had a good idea going for a compendium of sorts, and Soul Train Soul Train is practically ubiquitous around here for his great tutorials. I feel like those things have fallen to the wayside when they shouldn't have, and I'd like to bring 'em back to the forefront. Plus a little restructuring of things around here wouldn't hurt; centralization is what a lot of other character boards have, a kinda keystone or index.

How about it?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Big D has the best results at nationals, so he's the best IMO
I'd love to see Bardo and other Europeans at a international sometime though.

Once again, Big D >> me. He's probably the best DDD, just not on streams a lot.

Idk how strong Spain is as a region but Bardo and Pitikla have been putting in mad work over there. Shrooby, CO18, Thrillerman, King James, and Rev.0 are all solid players as well. Gunblade, Atomsk and Vex have done well with DDD in the past, but I don't know how often they play them anymore.
I haven't been entering bracket much recently so, eh.
But Europe is weird.
The best player in Germany uses Shulk apparently.
like, what?
But Europe doesn't get much Smash 4 rep at internationals outside of Ramin AKA undeniably their best player.

I dunno, I think Big D is our best overall. He's got the results (Top 60 at EVO and 17th at Paragon). I'd love to see the Eurodedes come overseas and play in a big international tourney, though. Or vice-versa, having our best and brightest compete over there.

Anyways, hate to swerve off-topic here, but I was wondering about something. Are ya'll interested in revamping certain aspects of our subforum? @SalsaSavant had a good idea going for a compendium of sorts, and Soul Train Soul Train is practically ubiquitous around here for his great tutorials. I feel like those things have fallen to the wayside when they shouldn't have, and I'd like to bring 'em back to the forefront. Plus a little restructuring of things around here wouldn't hurt; centralization is what a lot of other character boards have, a kinda keystone or index.

How about it?

Smooth Criminal
For the past some weeks I've been taking a break from most anything Smash 4-related. Which would include being involved here.
So on a related note I'd like to apologize for not really putting in the time to keep the place concise, focused and of overall good quality.
While revamping organizational aspects would be helpful, the overall problem and the reason productivity has dropped is a result of attitude and atmosphere. Where there would and should be productivity there is pessimism and general "hope is lost" tones.
With the way things have and will most likely continue to go as the game is patched time and again, it's hard to not be that way.
It's understandably saddening and discouraging, and is ultimately why I decided to take a break. Because I wanted to address the fact that I myself had that attitude and thus only contributed to the issue. Negativity just breeds more negativity, after all.
As a so-called community leader, I couldn't help but feel like I had failed. It only caused me grief and stress. I felt like a break was necessary so I could just work on myself.
I think a move towards discouraging (either passively or bluntly) these types of attitudes is something that is necessary to bring productivity up. Tough love, as it were. This is ultimately something no one person can do alone, even if our community is relatively small.
Organization is something easily addressable. A stickied directory/index thread is indeed necessary at this point. Even if there wouldn't necessarily be much to direct to right now.
If you or anyone else have more thoughts/ideas, I'd love to hear. :)

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Thanks for the mention(s), Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal - and shrooby shrooby I think you hit the nail on head the head.

First, please, don't feel like you failed anyone. The negativity you're talking about isn't unique nor due to you - I believe it was inevitable. Back in the 3DS days, D3 was so fun - I actually took second at a sizable tourney early on, losing to Seagull Joe's sanic. But then Wii U version came out, and gradually we found ourselves with a whole lot of passion but few wins. Frankly, I think us D3 main have gotten hit so hard so many times, we're tired. Tired that almost every other lower tier got a key buff, tired that it feels like everyone but us has new tech discovered all the time, tired that ZSS exists, tired that we can't zone or rush down or defend or or or or. A break is fine - I've honestly been on one as well - as burnout happens with anything competitive, but I think we'll all come back in our time. Smash 4 ain't going anywhere, and the kind of personality that loves D3 isn't going to be sated with anyone else.

Frankly, it's very hard to snag positive momentum with D3. After posting my initial videos, I actually tried for months to discover more D3 tech - and 99% of it was just impractical or plain useless. That's no fun, and that's not Nintendo as I know it. That's honestly why I've been fine intentionally dwelling more on on the negative aspects of D3 - in pure, naive hope that Nintendo hears some of it. Maybe that can be tempered or directed better (I need to make a video of "Top 5 Easy Adjustments to Make D3 Viable" or something), but I really feel this next patch is the one. But if nothing happens, I swear I'll shut up and accept things as they are.

With the index thread: yes, we absolutely need it, something with all caps "READ THIS FIRST" in the title. And then inside that thread, a directory of all useful threads in addition to a guide on "where to post about xyz". A few examples:
  • If you want match critiques: post in the video thread (link here)
  • If you have a basic question post in the Q&A (link here) and someone will respond to you ASAP.
  • For EVERYTHING ELSE please search the forum first before creating a new topic.
Humans need to be told this stuff, it's annoying but true. A lot of the other boards do this quite well actually - the DK board comes to mind.

With positivity and improvement: I have an idea. Or have had one, for awhile really. Frankly, you're as good as whoever you regularly play, and For Glory alone teaches you tons of bad habits (I'll volunteer as the posterchild of this). Yeah, my talents mostly lie in breaking down complicated stuff to newbs (I'm a business consultant, it's what I do in life too), but dammit I want to be better at this game, you know? To that end, I was thinking about starting a regular bi-weekly or monthly event here, where board members can join an IRC/Skype/Smashladder chatroom and up their game. This holds value in a lot of facets: as D3 mains we might uniquely help each other more than most, we could set up a structure for mentoring/critiquing matches, and could hold the occasional tourney.

But I feel the real impact would be on board positivity - in contrast to occasional board replies, this would be a place to center and build live community. My honest problem - and I think this might apply to many of you - is that I don't have a live smash community within easy driving distance - a place talk smash nerd crap with, or reinvigorate your love of smash with items on very high. But this might help that - just sign on for however long you can and shoot the breeze, you know? We have a really special community here already - I'd say one of the most unique on smashboards - and I for one would have a lot of fun doing this. Also, a recurring event like this might be a great way to delegate/check in on D3-related projects, a la what @SalsaSavant was talking about. Overall, this would be incredibly easy to implement, we just need a date and we can give it a test run. All we need is a snazzy D3-related title. Hmm...

Dem's my thoughts. What you all think?

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I completely agree with the above. I'm not a D3 main and my D3 has been dropping lately but I still enjoy the King for what he is. The biggest buff I want to see happen is to give Gordos a bigger threshold before they come flying back at us or significantly less endlag upon sending one out. They aren't a normal projectile, I get that, but the fact that after one of the first patches, a dinky little hit like Captain Falcon's jab can send our Gordos back at us at incredible speeds is insane. Maybe that could be the buff we need, make weak hits send gordos back much slower. For the threshold idea, I'm thinking like 5-6%, not too much but enough that most jabs don't outright beat it.

As for the weekly/biweekly idea, I like it but there's naturally a problem with it, specifically for this character: Gordo's are much more reliable and safe online. It was mentioned that FG creates bad habits, for the King, online in general can cause bad habits with Gordos. It's still a good idea but it has the problems that online brings. I'd be willing to attend whenever possible even though I probably wouldn't use the King. The improvements to this board also sound good. I haven't noticed any negativity but then I only really stick around this particular thread. While D3 is often considered low tier, he does have the tools to win, mostly through time outs imo. Massive weight, fast fall speed and numerous jumps along with a recovery with super armor makes D3 last a long time and with powerful attacks in terms of both damage and knockback all around, if you can manage to take a stock, the best thing to do is probably camp as best you can. Probably obvious knowledge that everyone knows but I'd say you guys have it better than say Mewtwo or Zelda.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Even if netplay encourages bad habits, it'd be nice to get a sense of community around these parts. We can always get into the practical stuff later. I'm down with the monthly/bimonthly online shindigs. Pretty much everything else is gravy, too.

...and I'm gonna disagree emphatically on the timing out bit, lol

but in all seriousness, though, I think we need to inject some life into this place

Smooth Criminal

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'll be down for some netplay stuff in the future. It's a little disappointing but the last tourney I went to I ended up using Doc of all characters more than Dedede. Though I personally think Doc is more viable than most people give him credit for...

ANYWAYS since I've not been going to as many tournaments recently most of my time spent with this game has been online with other people - and not on For Glory, but with people I've met through these tourneys. It's a good idea because it's the easiest and quickest way for us to connect with each other as Dedede players.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Dedede board events would be amazing! Not only would this be a great way to learn directly from some of the best Dededes out there, but I would love to get to know some of you guys better, and I can't think of a better way to get to know somebody than to play smash with them! I don't know if this is just me, but I can tell more about someone by playing smash or some other video game with them than an entire day of conversation. Sign me up for this!

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
First, please, don't feel like you failed anyone. The negativity you're talking about isn't unique nor due to you - I believe it was inevitable. Back in the 3DS days, D3 was so fun - I actually took second at a sizable tourney early on, losing to Seagull Joe's sanic. But then Wii U version came out, and gradually we found ourselves with a whole lot of passion but few wins. Frankly, I think us D3 main have gotten hit so hard so many times, we're tired. Tired that almost every other lower tier got a key buff, tired that it feels like everyone but us has new tech discovered all the time, tired that ZSS exists, tired that we can't zone or rush down or defend or or or or. A break is fine - I've honestly been on one as well - as burnout happens with anything competitive, but I think we'll all come back in our time. Smash 4 ain't going anywhere, and the kind of personality that loves D3 isn't going to be sated with anyone else.
Thanks man
Indeed, that's basically the crux of it.
I won't say a break "rejuvenated" me or anything. Too strong a word, but I do feel like I'm able to look at things from a healthier perspective.

With the index thread: yes, we absolutely need it, something with all caps "READ THIS FIRST" in the title. And then inside that thread, a directory of all useful threads in addition to a guide on "where to post about xyz". A few examples:
  • If you want match critiques: post in the video thread (link here)
  • If you have a basic question post in the Q&A (link here) and someone will respond to you ASAP.
  • For EVERYTHING ELSE please search the forum first before creating a new topic.
Humans need to be told this stuff, it's annoying but true. A lot of the other boards do this quite well actually - the DK board comes to mind.
Yeah, it's something I wanted to do.
Admittedly, I did not think it necessary in the past (since there wouldn't be much to put in it), then once I felt like it should be made, I just kept putting it off until I lost overall motivation as a whole.
However, it's a fairly simple thing I can get on when time presence itself. School tends to be a bit time-draining as of late tho', but shouldn't be too time consuming.

With positivity and improvement: I have an idea. Or have had one, for awhile really. Frankly, you're as good as whoever you regularly play, and For Glory alone teaches you tons of bad habits (I'll volunteer as the posterchild of this). Yeah, my talents mostly lie in breaking down complicated stuff to newbs (I'm a business consultant, it's what I do in life too), but dammit I want to be better at this game, you know? To that end, I was thinking about starting a regular bi-weekly or monthly event here, where board members can join an IRC/Skype/Smashladder chatroom and up their game. This holds value in a lot of facets: as D3 mains we might uniquely help each other more than most, we could set up a structure for mentoring/critiquing matches, and could hold the occasional tourney.

But I feel the real impact would be on board positivity - in contrast to occasional board replies, this would be a place to center and build live community. My honest problem - and I think this might apply to many of you - is that I don't have a live smash community within easy driving distance - a place talk smash nerd crap with, or reinvigorate your love of smash with items on very high. But this might help that - just sign on for however long you can and shoot the breeze, you know? We have a really special community here already - I'd say one of the most unique on smashboards - and I for one would have a lot of fun doing this. Also, a recurring event like this might be a great way to delegate/check in on D3-related projects, a la what @SalsaSavant was talking about. Overall, this would be incredibly easy to implement, we just need a date and we can give it a test run. All we need is a snazzy D3-related title. Hmm...
Anything to strengthen bonds and increase positivty.
While I can't really relate to not having an easily acceptable irl smash community, I do understand why that would be frustrating.
I can relate to having just a group of online buddies to chat and play with. It is surprising just how easy it is to bring users together that way. Some of my good friends on this site come from such environments.
I think it's a good idea. Though some details need fining.
Chatting outside Smashboards does not usually really correlate with activity on Smashboards.
Character chats tend to distract from activity on the site rather than encourage it. 'Cause chats are just quicker, more convenient and less moderated.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Chatting outside Smashboards does not usually really correlate with activity on Smashboards. Character chats tend to distract from activity on the site rather than encourage it. 'Cause chats are just quicker, more convenient and less moderated.
Agreed, and precisely why this won't be a daily/weekly thing. That's what the boards are for. I think if such a hangout event was done on a bi-weekly+ basis, the two would work symbiotically well. People post/discuss/think here on the daily, then every now and then get a chance to get live feedback, prompting more discussion/thinking on the boards in turn. I like.

But let's not jump ahead - this doesn't have to be set in stone or scheduled way out in advance, let's just do a single trial run and see how it goes. Personally, I'll do whatever it takes to get this running and am happy to create the thread, organize the event, and make updates/send invites - but only if that's not stepping on any toes.

Oh, and at the very least, the thread would be another great addition to the potential Index list. Hooray for longer lists.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Oh, I just realized that these events will probably be on Wii U, but I only have a 3DS. You guys think that you could have a 3DS portion of these events?
No get out of here with your lame 3DS. evil laugh/mocking/taunting :demon::evil::grrr:

I would like to try and fight you when we start this up. just got the "new" 3ds and hope the cstick comes in handy.

Last edited:

Incoleo

Smash Cadet
NNID
incoleo
Hey all!! I'm Inco ouo

I'm mainly a villager player, but I've recently picked up the king, and he's one of the most fun characters I've played!! He's definitely a unique character, and one I'll be bringing to my locals as I get better (thanks soul train for your amazing guide)

Top Bottom