• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
IF THEY ACTUALLY MADE D3'S JET HAMMER INTO A MOVE WHERE HE RIDES IT LIKE WARIO'S BIKE THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME HOLY ****

...ahem. Welcome to our penguin family.
Haha, thanks, and the only reason i came up with that is because ( don't judge me ) when i ride in a car and im listening to like game music remixes or something, i imagine that character and maybe others traveling alongside the car, and running ( for Dedede especially ) is an awkward way to travel very quickly, so I thought of something else and that was it, along with :4kirby:'s Warpstar for :4kirby: and obviously :4metaknight:'s wings for :4metaknight:.

supersage400

Smash Cadet
NNID
Supersage400
3DS FC
4897-5984-7450
Haha, thanks, and the only reason i came up with that is because ( don't judge me ) when i ride in a car and im listening to like game music remixes or something, i imagine that character and maybe others traveling alongside the car, and running ( for Dedede especially ) is an awkward way to travel very quickly, so I thought of something else and that was it, along with :4kirby:'s Warpstar for :4kirby: and obviously :4metaknight:'s wings for :4metaknight:.

He actually did ride a motorcycle (or motorcycle-like Kirby enemy) in Kirby Air Ride, so he could always just use that. Your idea about riding the hammer is definitely more creative, though. Imagine looking up one day and seeing a penguin riding on a jet-infused hammer through the skies. I'd lawl.

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
He actually did ride a motorcycle (or motorcycle-like Kirby enemy) in Kirby Air Ride, so he could always just use that. Your idea about riding the hammer is definitely more creative, though. Imagine looking up one day and seeing a penguin riding on a jet-infused hammer through the skies. I'd lawl.
It could even have little handles pop out at the end of the handle and he could ride it like a jet-powered

Whatever that is, i forgot the name XD

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
The link is broken, but I'm going to assume you're talking about Wheelie, a recurring enemy that gives Kirby the Wheel ability, which kirby also uses as a mode of transportation also uses in Kirby Superstar.

Also welcome to the Dedede boards. Be sure to check out Soul Train's video guide to find a good use for up-tilt and much much more! Happy clobberin'!

supersage400

Smash Cadet
NNID
Supersage400
3DS FC
4897-5984-7450
Actually, that image leads to a page about segways. So he probably meant a segway, which is one of those things you see mall cops riding sometimes.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
For a while now i have bern playing DDD i used to exclusively main only Ganon the constant projectile spam and only able to light punish faster chars and generaly being able to lose to bad players...such as spammy Links can be very diificult...

I went through the Heavyweight roster 1 by 1...because heavies is all i play.

Ike: Dont like...even though he is teally good now

DK: i love as a character but is too bad if a character..he is really fun..but...worse than Ganon..

Bowser: Was playing him for a while very deadly but..boring...plus i notice people dont like playing against him...

Charizard: Like bowser..was playing with him..but i dunno..not really a big fan if his playstyle...expecially with all the lag on his aerials..he doesnt really seem like a aerial character even though he has multi jumps.

And there is King DDD...ow my ow my...
The only way i can say it is..he is my new main Ganon is 2nd now.

Am i worthy please of joining the DDD klobbering squad as a DDD new main!

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
:4dedede:Haven't talk in this dicussion thread yet, but I recently started to pick up Dedede again recently, he's my favorite Kirby character. Nice to meet you all,

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
:4dedede:Haven't talk in this dicussion thread yet, but I recently started to pick up Dedede again recently, he's my favorite Kirby character. Nice to meet you all,
Noob.

EDIT: jk

Last edited:

| Big D |

Smash Master
So like I got 65th at EVO going all Dedede. I feel pretty meh about it but it was a fun time. I ended up losing to Master Raven (first game last hit 2nd game rip then a SoCal WFT that got top 32 (took game 1 but couldn't clutch it out).

I did end up beating Mr. E's Sheik in a pretty funny way with something I discovered with Tweek on wifi. When you let go of the ledge normally people start to try and punish you the next time you grab the ledge with a dsmash or something. So what I've been doing is I've been holding down as I UpB and I've been KOing people like that. I got him twice in the same game with this it was pretty funny.

So yeah I think Dedede can do it it's just I need a way to consistently combat Sheik.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
So yeah I think Dedede can do it it's just I need a way to consistently combat Sheik.
I love fighting Sheiks. They all use the same basic strategy. It even feels like the top-level players kind of follow that same mold. Sheik likes to KO with gimps, and we know that it isn't very easy to gimp His Majesty. It forces Sheik to KO with either that upair or a smash attack both of which can be avoided if you just don't fall victim to tunnel vision. Of course, all easier said than done, and I'm sure the Sheik you faced is way better than the ones I've fought.
Congratulations on making it so far at EVO! You make us proud!

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Uh, just be careful if the Sheik is going for uair kills. The follow up from her throw is actually a 50/50 mix-up. If the Sheik player catches you air dodging a lot they're going to catch you with her up b instead, which has enough delay on it to frame trap you out of the air dodge.

I like landing on stage with Dedede's up b sometimes. People don't usually expect because it's such a terrible option most of the time. You can also fake them out and then cancel and fade back to the ledge if they catch on to what you're doing.

Pyrofishy

Smash Cadet
How can I deal with projectiles as DeDeDe?

Sorry if this has already been answered, I didn't see it when looking through

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Usually you want to try perfect shielding, or well-timed dodges for the laggier projectiles. Some projectiles can't be effectively dealt with, like Fox lasers, Mega Man lemons, and I think Luigi's fireball. Don't throw Gordo directly into a projectile most of the time (as tempting as that is) since the vast majority will fling it right back into your face with little time to properly deflect. You can challenge Sheik needles and a fully charged Water Shuriken with Gordo, but there are most likely better ways to deal with those than playing chicken.

Whatever you don't never actually eat a projectile. While this will destroy them, you have so much lag after swallowing that most characters can just walk up and hit you with just about any attack.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Hello again fellow Kings! I have recently been getting better at perfect pivoting although I haven't been practicing it much with the King. PP ftilt and fsmash are easy to perform and I can clearly see the uses they have, pp utilt is a bit harder to do but I can see small uses it could have. I have no idea how to consistently PP jab though it sounds handy for the King. The main move that concerns me is dtilt. Our dtilt sounds us forward yet perfect pivoting sends you away so it sounds counterproductive, plus the King doesn't have the best PP in the world. Is there a use to PP dtilt that I'm unaware of or is it largely useless? From my quick thoughts, any time you'd want to PP dtilt, you could just dtilt.

Cook

Smash Master
I need you guys to settle a bet. Do you think that Ike and Shulk have a similar looking move set and that when they made Shulk they used Ike as the template?

supersage400

Smash Cadet
NNID
Supersage400
3DS FC
4897-5984-7450
There are some aesthetic similarities, but I'm not sure it's because Ike was used as a template. I think there are only so many ways you can swing a big, two handed sword in a vertical manner and that fact just means a lot of their swings are going to look similar. But Iunno, maybe.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I need you guys to settle a bet. Do you think that Ike and Shulk have a similar looking move set and that when they made Shulk they used Ike as the template?
You could say several of Shulk's moves are similar in animation to other swordsmen, like his Fair from Marth/Ike and his Dair from Link, but I don't think anyone was used as a template. I believe Sakurai uses figurines to make the animation and poses, and Shulk isn't similar enough to others anyways.

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Their jab, f-tilt, d-tilt, fair (and arguably nair) are the only real similar moves. I'm going to say Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac was built up from the ground up. Let's assume Sakurai's way of designing character movesets hasn't changed since Brawl. Sakurai made Ike a "Burly Swordsman" and it shows in his animations. He wields Ragnell with one hand easily while Shulk uses both hands to wield the Monado (both true to their character). Sakurai then submits poses that he feels is appropriate to the character. So that's why you see the muscular guy using one hand and the average Brit using two hands... Looking back at this now, I don't think I answered your question and I'm going on a rant about animating.

But anyway, when it comes down to it, they are both two-handed swordsman. As such, they're going to attack similarly regardless of how they wield their weapon. Let's use the space animals' blasters for example. Fox, trained in a flight academy, uses his blaster like how a pistol should be properly used while Falco, the former gang member, uses his blaster sideways, a common trope associated with street criminals. Regardless of how they hold their blasters, they still pull the trigger and shoot a laser. And looking back again, I'm still not sure if I answered your questions or not.

But to answer your question, no. Shulk did not use Ike as a template. Maybe he and Ike both used how two-handed swordsman fight as a template, but I'm not Sakurai.

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Today I was frauded by a Ness on one of the FB groups for smash matchups. I made myself a taco afterward to soothe my soul.

I hit a Dthrow > Bair > Bair > footstool > Dair off the top platform of battlefield.

Sounds sexy right? What happened next was even sexier. I thought to myself "I'm two stocks up, and I just styled on this fool so hard, might as well chuck a gordo at him."

Little did I know, Ness does indeed take batting practice. That spiky ball of doom and destruction flew at 9000 miles per hour back at me, and I did the only thing I could think of, the unthinkable! I shielded.

Suddenly I realized that I no longer had a shield.

PK Thunder

Comfort pls :C

Last edited:

Pyrofishy

Smash Cadet
Today I was frauded by a Ness on one of the FB groups for smash matchups. I made myself a taco afterward to soothe my soul.

I hit a Dthrow > Bair > Bair > footstool > Dair off the top platform of battlefield.

Sounds sexy right? What happened next was even sexier. I thought to myself "I'm two stocks up, and I just styled on this fool so hard, might as well chuck a gordo at him."

Little did I know, Ness does indeed take batting practice. That spiky ball of doom and destruction flew at 9000 miles per hour back at me, and I did the only thing I could think of, the unthinkable! I shielded.

Suddenly I realized that I no longer had a shield.

PK Thunder

Comfort pls :C
Your taco aroused me.
the combo finished me.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
The new tourney mode sucks. Not one of the options is specifically 1v1. How'm I suppose to effectively clobbuh with more than one opponent on the screen? Why can't Mash Potato Samurai and Reggie Films-Anime just do what I want?

Hatsune Scratch

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I'm kinda new here (except not really)
I love King Dee as a character and in Smash. Clumsy dorky penguins are fun.
Tried him out in Brawl and I tried to love him but since I couldn't cancel the Super Dedede Jump I disliked him in the game.
Tried him out in Smash 4 and fell in love with him. He's my main as of now, with my subs being Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.
Tried him out again years later in Project M and enjoyed him much more, but I would rather just have him as a secondary and use Bowser as my main. (I still dislike how you can't cancel the Super Dedede Jump)

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
In Brawl and PM, you can cancel the SDJ by tapping down on the stick. I'm assuming you know it's up in Smash 4. Makes it frustrating to swap between games, to say the least.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Because when your going upward, it makes more sense that in order to go downward, you need to press downward. Only sakurai's logic would say "No, UP means down"

That killed me many times when I started. Up B stops so suddenly if you happen to press up

Hatsune Scratch

Smash Rookie
Yeah I guess
I always thought it would be up though because in order to cancel in up b you just press up again, but yeah that makes some sense.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm pretty sure the 'logical' reason for why up is to cancel in Sm4sh is because Super Dedede Jump can grab ledges while going up (which it couldn't do in Brawl) and pressing down forces Dedede to ignore the ledge and continue with his ascent onto the stage. So up to cancel ascent, remove hitboxes and reduce endlag and down to ignore ledges =P

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
that sounds so much better than sakurai just hating on us. ^

imsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
thesouldemon
3DS FC
3411-3945-3633
First tournament as DeDeDe, took 5th. Knocked into losers by JJROCKET's greninja and eliminated by Tranz's sheik.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Shrooby I still owe you 10 bucks, lol.

Hi, Dedede mains :p.

Loving how these boards have more than 4 active members in the threads that aren't the social, lol.

Edit: Where all the Dededes at?

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Bowser: Was playing him for a while very deadly but..boring...

Fite me irl...

Just kidding, obviously. It's unfortunate he didn't work out for you but it's good to hear you found a character that you like.

Bowser is way better though.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Shrooby I still owe you 10 bucks, lol.

Hi, Dedede mains :p.

Loving how these boards have more than 4 active members in the threads that aren't the social, lol.

Edit: Where all the Dededes at?
Umm......
We aren't home at the moment, please leave a message after the beep.

*beeeeeep*

:troll:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
This boards is like reversed Mewtwo boards. No activity on the social but huge activity on the other threads (well huge compared to Mewtwo anyways). Mewtwo boards is just social basically, lol.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
This boards is like reversed Mewtwo boards. No activity on the social but huge activity on the other threads (well huge compared to Mewtwo anyways). Mewtwo boards is just social basically, lol.
Why is that?

Lack of actual mains, but just people who hang out there? I was one of those people for like a month prior and after his release. :p

I was really happy such a badass character was coming back

Top Bottom