• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Motivation(Need Help)

N810

Smash Cadet
Warning: Personal and emotional post incoming. Be as brutal honest as you can be.

A quick background of who is speaking. My name is Nathan and I'm 23yrs old. I'm from Arizona and been playing Project M since August 2014. Before I found the competitive scene I suffered from an extreme depression(think worse-case scenario) and damaged myself as a person and growing young man. This is important because at this I often sight this feeling as the main reason I hold myself back from life goals. I've seek both personal and profession help on the matter and well, it must have worked since I'm still here. Haha. It was a enduring and painful road but I've made several improvements in my young adult life. Things are better and I'm grateful about that.

So how does this tie in to me playing Smash Bros? Well, when I first started I showed talent to many players in the scene including the PR members at the time. They would say I had potential to be great and was pushing my Sonic to be faster and harder. Looking back, this was a huge rush for me. I found this scene, a group of people who loved to play this game and they all liked me right away. This is awesome! From when I entered, to the end of 2014 I was generally happy. Something that came easy to other 's but I've struggled to maintain. But the cracks begin to show again. My pain was determined to hurt me one good one before year's end. AZ held an Arcadian in late November. This was my chance to show my worth. I was slowing keeping a top 8 placing in local weeklies up to this point. On the Facebook page, people were already betting money for me taking 1st place. Everyone kept telling me I was going to win. I wasn't naive. I knew this state had great players. I traveled around and played most of them. I didn't care. I wanted to win no matter what! I didn't even make top 16. I lost first round and a player who I would dominate took me out bracket. I was crushed. Close to crying. Maybe you've had that feeling before. I was just on auto-pilot the remainder of the night. Maybe it was because I was being built up to win so much that the thought of bustering-out wasn't a factor. Maybe my life problems were holding me back. I can't say for sure other then that lost stuck with me for a good while.

When 2015 arrived I wanted a change. And with the release of PM 3.5 I got it. We all know the nerfs that came with the game and that impacted the community hugely. Myself included. I was losing more at first, even tried to switch mains, but I adapted. Tough loses came and gone. But I had a fire that was willing to burn all. By early 2015 I've met and knew most in my PM scene. I even got to meet some legends like Axe and Westballz. Even though I was stumbling, the scene was still making me happy. Then I went to my first out-of-state tourney in Vegas and placed 5th. I was ecstatic not only because I could say I help AZ take 1st place in all four events but I also beat a great player(a better player than I) in a Sonic ditto. Showing that I was looking to be a top player in AZ. I came back home the next day and defeated PR members. The endorphins kept flooding in. Another AZ major arrived and I was ready. Taking place in the same location so this was my chance to undo my mistakes last year. I could do this! I lost first round again and with that defeat, I lost the will to play. Didn't make top 16 again. Maybe that's why they say addicts should stay away from old geography. Because I made the same mistakes as before. I not sure how to over come that. From there on, it was just a personal battle to play well. I continued to take questionable loses and doubted my ranking among my fellow Smashers. My placing became inconsistent and soon did my mind set. I believe this was the real first hit that made me not care about winning. AZ then held another major. One you guys might remember. Sandstorm. I did well in pools and bested another great out-of-state Sonic player in a ditto. He challenged me! Crazy right? There was even some AZ and foreign players who recognized me! I was happy again. I was reminded why I enjoy this being in scene and meeting people again. When day two started, I was pitted against an AZ PR member. One that everyone expected me to beat. I didn't. I could see the disappointment in my friends. And just like the fruitless hopes and failed promises, it weighted down on me. After that, my drive was slowly fading. I would see my mistakes or incorrect inputs during my games and choose to focus on that. Which didn't help my case. I became an emotion or momentum based player. If I didn't win game 1 then there was a good chance I'd lose the set. But I continued to push. I traveled again. This time to Coronado for another major and even though I didn't place well, I had a blast meeting and cheering on the CO scene. This would probably be one of the few tourneys in recent memory that I can say I had fun.

For a long time it was just weeklies. As I was racking up more wins and taking sets off more PR members. I was getting known for beating half of AZ's PR. But with the mind, the body follows. The inconsistency and self-doubting being shown in my play style became a staple in my character. I had an almost wake up call when watching CEO 2015. The set between Plup and Mango was something unlike I've seen before. Not because of the match-up or the game. But what the commentators were saying about Plup and the mind-set he had during his match. He should have won. We all know it was a real outcome for him. But he didn't. The focus was on "not losing" versus "going to win." I won't go deep into that analysis but I never felt more like I could relate to another player than Plup at that point. And for the next few weeks, I placed 3rd consistently at the AZ locals. Beating more good players in my scene and bringing myself to new heights. I was starting to enjoy the game again. A new feeling erupted. Finally! I thought I have overcame this wall, this block, this depression that's affected my play-style and "Smash career!" But old habits die hard and soon my winning streak passed and I returned to my old ways. I started to not care about winning or even playing. I would switch characters or choose small stages in hopes to end the set faster. At this point, I didn't know why I was doing this. I knew I wanted to be great and when I come to tournaments I had the idea to take 1st place. But when I sat down to play, something else would take over. This negative feeling and pressure would force me to be slower and careless. A minute into game 1, I wanted to quit. Unplug the controller and just leave. I still don't know why I feel this way. I would only try in loser's bracket and I don't understand it. Sometimes I would lose round 1 but still take 3rd place. Other times I would SD four times in a set, not L-cancel, or just plain throw the game away. I watch my old videos and see the look of disappointment on my face. Someone willing to beat themselves up and purposely lose. I don't like seeing that. I'm accustomed to seeing it and I can feel it even now when I shift to that mind-set when I play. Maybe when it comes I'll just focus on it and let it happen. I need to beat this. I want to beat this.

Now we are at a more recent time. I reunited with some old out-of-state friends at EVO 2015 PM side event. Enjoyed the experience. The lackluster efforts at the locals forced me to take a two month break from the game. And though people in the scene considered my sets to be upsets when I would lose to decent players, I didn't care for it. I have the luxury of not caring about my image but that in itself is a double-edge sword. I was too much focusing on my mentality and the priorities I was setting for myself. I want to get better. At this point, I think I've said all that I can. Or at least, all that I wanted. One of the reasons I'm typing this post is because I became PR just a couple weeks ago. Due to my performance from 3.5-3.6 and my wins over previous PR members I have been placed #10 on the list. I was recognized again at another AZ major(Rewired) yet again by top level PM players like iPunchkidz and Filthy Casual. Things were looking up for a brief moment. The thought of always thinking I'm playing poorly might be breaking and a new feeling could be taking over. But yesterday it happened again. I sat down and lost the fire to win. I made mistakes and blamed myself for being a stuck in this mind-set again. I thought being PR would help me. I thought it would be the next wake-up call to player harder and try try again. But nothing has changed. I don't feel any different and that's what lead me to here. I fell asleep thinking about this and woke up to needing to put this train of thought or whatever somewhere. Just to let it out. Because I need to made a decision soon. If I'm not going to put 100% into this community, winning or losing, then I can't be apart of it anymore. I don't see the point of being in something and not showing effort for it. It'll be tough leaving and if I do, I probably won't leave till early next year. I'm just not having fun playing. I'm not happy watching me play. I don't enjoy this game anymore. But I know that can be fixed. I don't want to give up till I've tried everything. I'm going to a local tonight and depending on how I feel is the trigger whether or not I'll put some serious thought on my future with my scene. I have no expectations for what gets posted in the comments below. I'm posting this yet I'm not asking directly for help. I'm sure I'm not the first person who has felt this way or was looking for a way to improve themselves. I'm sure you guys can link me other post or guides that might help. But I woke up almost needing this. I wanted to write this and now I've completed that goal. If you all comment then I'll do my best to reply. Right now I'm just going to go on with my day. I do feel a little better now that this post is coming to an end. Thank you for reading if you made it this far.

And just to put your mind at ease if you had lingering thoughts, outside of smash my life has been great. Made a ton of better choices and things are back on track. I just want to focus on smash right now. Thank you agian.

-N810

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
N8 you got this, just be careful with when you overextended your punishes and you'll get even better results. Your neutral is safe, you punish game is solid but you kill yourself reaching. Watch game 3 v ark, see how you went too deep on edgeguards and got killed for it 4 times, learn from it and go **** up tuscon.

I 100% get where you're coming from on mentality/drive. I've been struggling too, I go from super motivated to wanting to smash my controller mid set over night. The scene does love you man, even if you decide competing isn't for you, you're still a part of the community and the az family.

LTROwen

Smash Rookie
NNID
Endless_Nine
I don't have any performance-wise critiques like Softie (except that I really wanna see your techchase grab game get more consistent) but I just wanna toss in some change that there's a ton of people in the scene who would hate to see you go. I know Heysuess, IC3, Zman, and myself would for starters (who else will go see mediocre horror flicks with me?! ;D), but I really wish there was a way for you to see what the Hitbox chat was like last night during your set with Cori. Zman ran a poll as he usually does, and the chat immediately erupted with support for you. Obviously I was cheering you on, Kidblue and others were saying how much of a homie you were, Axel was talking about how some of your advice early on is what helped him start to get far enough in bracket to have matches streamed and how thankful he is for that, Dox really misses you, so many more. So many people in our scene think the world of you both as a player and a person.

I'm also currently going through a spot where I don't want to play as much, and that combined with trying to fix my sleep schedule is why I've been passing on the weeklies for the past few months. But by not playing and participating, that drained even more of the passion from me, to the point where I honestly can' barely remember having the will to do so much as even commentate since like... Paragon (where I was too nervous/sick to commentate my block on PMCentral that I was offered). That fading passion is also why I tend to drift back and forth between characters so often, as the game tends to get stale and it's easier to feel "good" about myself when I'm getting better with a new character rather than staying plateau'd with my old ones. Anyhow, not really about me, just saying I know what it feels like to not want to play. That's why my favorite events these days are ones like 5PMFights where we're all having drinks as a big community, Tucson+Phoenix, and have a huge IHOP dinner after. The social aspect of Smash is just as valuable as the competitive part, IMO. It might not be a bad idea to do what Heysuess does and not enter as often but still come out to help people learn or just hang. Nobody thinks any less of him for that, nor would they for you.

Also, don't think of the PR spot as a level of expectation or a standard you're being held to. It's more a recognition of all the hard work you've put in and all the results you've gotten from that. I also think that you really didn't care, your lackluster moments wouldn't sting as much. I'd like to think you put all that work into those easter eggs in the AZ stage pack because you have as much pride and hope for our scene as any of the rest of us. I'd really love to see you keep playing and doing well not because you're PR but because you're one of my favorite goddamned people in this community. And because Sonic's pretty rad.

Kick some ass tonight, buddy :)

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
You spoke to me about your depression and motivation issues in the past and from what I gathered you seemed to have passed a few barriers already, especially after you took the break from the game before Rewired. I'm sad to see that you're suffering again, dude.

For months I've struggled again and again against the same players in my region and have seemingly been struck with a "3rd place" curse. I believe that without you and the rest of the guys in the Discord that I probably would've made more rash decisions about my future in this game and would've dropped my character/the game and moved on to other things. I think for a lot of people in the Smash scene, the community is what draws them to stay and continue competing. Perhaps if that's what continues to bring you to tournaments you should take a more relaxed approach to tournaments? If you still have a desire to be the best then perhaps explore other reasons why you should perform well, community support or not, either way I'll continue to watch AZ's stream and help you in any way that you need.

I can firmly confirm that myself and the rest of the Sonic community will support you in any decision you decide to make in terms of your future in this game but I can't say that I'll be completely happy in seeing you go; you've become a great friend to me and others. Best of luck with your future endeavors dude, I hope to speak with you again soon. :)

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I totally watched this like 2 mins before reading this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1cq0bhSrq4
First thing seems appropriate for your context here.
It was a random smasher friend from across the map that posted it on facebook. Clicked it to listen to while cleaning my room and saw your post just after.
People are good like that. Smashers are people, smashers are good like that.
You good.

edit: In other news
I want a car, no, a FLEET of cars. Now 10 lots to put them in. Now a house, a BIG one, with a helicopter on top. No, a space station. A house or Mars too. and this and that
Sky is the limit?
Even the sky isn't the limit!
I want to be ok, I wanna be good, I wanna be on the PR, I wanna be the best, I want I want
Same deal.

None of that will ever help you.
YOU know what will help you.
You already did a bunch of it.
What was it?
Work.
On you.
From you.
For you.
Ez pz

Often it's a matter of knowing where to look and what to look for.

These are some tools like anything else in life (Smash is a tool as much as anything else you find)
I like them. They're universal.
I can point to them so might as well.
100% of everyone in this entire community and world could use these tools.
It's called living, there's an art to it. If you like one of these tools, use it as you wish to make some art. The life kind of art.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/nth/yfhu/yfhu14.htm
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwj_FVRB63ajcUJGVnpTeU9XU3c&ddrp=1
http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/krishn...nd-the-transformation-of-man-part-1-of-18.php
https://www.dhamma.org/en-US/index
The last is the best. But it's the hardest thing anybody can ever do. (you know that climb you said you made from the past to now? think that, but again, and that goes for everyone who uses this tool, it's nuts)

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Oh and don't get hit by the things you don't want to get hit by, then hit the opponent with the things you want to hit them with.

Oh and pay attention to what you're paying attention to. You're obviously paying attention to SOMETHING, look at it, see what that is.
If you're bashing your head against a wall, you can trust yourself to stop.
Like, if you're getting frustrated, it's tricky to see. Give your entire effort to it then. You will see it if you try. When you see it AS it arrives, AS it's happening, and not the side-effects of it, then you'll never get to the point where you're ACTUALLY bashing your physical head against an ACTUAL physical wall.

A person stops harming oneself when they see it is harmful. You know this well. When you see danger (a bus coming at you) you don't go to it (you jump out of the way it's a bus dangit!)
The same happens with the VERY VERY SUBTLE things within oneself.
If you can see the bus within, you'll never jump into danger 'irl' in the expression form (like, an action at the physical level)
Because you'll see it as what it is. Danger. It's silly to go to danger. You'll see things like frustration (and whatever you talked about) like they're danger eventually. Everyone who looks does. There is no choice there, there is only ACT, and this is freedom.

Might be getting a little deep there.
Arizona has a center in Pheonix.
It's free. Good food. Just gotta get 10 days to spare. lul

PS: Breaks from smash are good too.

If everyone quit the game for a month (like not watching vids or thinking about it or anything) and came back after, the global skill-level with multiple tenfold.

Soft Serve Soft Serve if you have interest in this kind of junk (you seem to from history) then I'll point at vipassana too.
It's fun. I like it. Other people like it. But it's harder than Smash ever could be.
Don't be scared by that though. lol
It's just brain surgery on yourself. Sounds like it's not a common thing in the smash world. Might be why everyone sucks.
newlayersofsmacktalk

N810

Smash Cadet
Thank you all for the support. I will be using the tools given to me by this thread to reset my brain for the next year. I'll try to finish this year strong and create a better mind-set for 2016. Thank you again guys. I love Smash and the community keeping it alive.

Top Bottom