• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mother 4? Mother, in general?

Calcobrena

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this is along the lines of the spirit of this part of the Smasher's Hangout, but I gotta know...

Anybody on the edge of their seat for the fan game "Mother 4"? It saddens me how little I hear of it, as from the looks of it it appears to have mighty potential, and is meant to be out in a matter of months!

While the Mother series has been respectfully put to rest, I think such a project is perfect for those craving a little spuntino. I think, as long as the dev team approach it with their own image, and not their interpretation of Itoi's, it'll still serve as a brain picking treat.

So, what I'd like to know, is if anybody else has been following the project? Or, really, any current Mother fan content/forums? It's amazing, the entire analyses people put into this series. It's devotion I've not seen for any other series.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I read up a bunch on it about a year ago, but I never tend to actually follow game development, this one included. In fact, I might have forgotten about it had this thread not come up. So, thank you for putting it back on my radar!

I really enjoyed the Mother series when I played through it, so I'm hoping this game will be great. I imagine that, with the devotion of the Mother community, that this game will be.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
i tried following the development of it but every time iv gone back to the site for it nothing new is on it.
if they want the game to be fresh in people minds they need to post a bit more
i guess that might be hard with a mother game to be fair. all the stuff worth posting is a million times betting finding yourself

Calcobrena

Smash Cadet
Indeed, I've sort of been on-and-off, but for at least a year they have not posted anything new on the project. I know it must be difficult, what with everything else, but it gives me concern whether or not it will be seen to fruition.

I wouldn't mind if they had some sort of active blog going on, or some sort of forum, because as of now there's only the Starmen.Net thread.

Ah well, let's hope for the best! And moreover, hypish opportunities in Smash.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Looking forward to it, especially since it is free.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that there are maybe five people on this forum who paid for Mother 3, myself included.
I was talking about Mother 4. I would totally buy Mother 3 if I had a JP GBA.

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I know; my point was that most people "acquired" Mother 3 for free as well so it's not like the franchise has a reputation for being prohibitively expensive.

Super excited for Mother 4. I've been following the development for a little while now, but now I'm just waiting for it to be released.

As for Mother fan forums, I mostly lurk the Starmen forums under the name Icy.

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
When I first heard about the project, I was honestly a little skeptical. These games are a pretty big act to follow. But it's obvious that the people working on Mother 4 know what they are doing, from the music to the sprites and even the story seems to feel like a natural progression, from what little we know. Anyway, I'm certainly hyped.
Also, there is a really nice teaser video floating around youtube, it's only a minute long and I highly recommend looking at it to get a taste of just how detailed this game will be. I'd post it myself, but I don't have enough posts for such privileges.

Calcobrena

Smash Cadet
Yes, they also have some samples of pieces, and frankly I believe some are good enough to rival Shogo Sakai. Even if they are only 20 seconds long, I love the direction the game is taking - it does not look like it is trying to 'be' what Mother 3 or Earthbound was, but come into its own. And frankly, that's what I find extremely exciting.

That's what I love about Earthbound and Mother 3 especially, as a couple. Itoi had a clear vision for each, and neither were created to adhere to a formula or comply with 'traditions'. I think if the Mother 4 development team take that and run with it, they will create their own memorable classic.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Mother 4 has gotten a lot of hate from the mother fanbase. Itoi's statement about the series ending was misinterpreted by the devs of M4. Mr.Itoi didn't mean to make a new mother game yourselves, it's pretty obvious that he meant let the mother series inspire you to make something incredible.

Calcobrena

Smash Cadet
Mother 4 has gotten a lot of hate from the mother fanbase. Itoi's statement about the series ending was misinterpreted by the devs of M4. Mr.Itoi didn't mean to make a new mother game yourselves, it's pretty obvious that he meant let the mother series inspire you to make something incredible.
It definitely has garnered hate, unjustifiably so in my opinion. I remember reading somebody criticising the game based on one screenshot, which featured a shopkeeper saying she wouldn't sell the player character a magazine or something. Based JUST on the way it was worded, the person said that the game would be a failure, because "that's not how Itoi would script that".

???

Anyway, that's one way of interpreting Itoi's statements. There's no way you can say with full assurance what he was implying.

Twewy

Smash Lord
It's funny, because Mother 3 has inspired me to look into making an RPG, though really all I can do are some bits of concept art and script writing.

Top Bottom