• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most unfairly disliked character?

Which isn't deserving of harshness?

• Total voters

Capricorn Genesis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Capricornicus
The four characters I listed are the ones I've seen get the most negative feedback before and/or after the game's release.

I have to go with Little Mac. There's been plenty of condensation of both the character and those who play him solely because of his play style. He's not overpowered and requires competence and patience to get around his big weaknesses. The latter three have had legitimate arguments regarding their viability.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
The four characters I listed are the ones I've seen get the most negative feedback before and/or after the game's release.

I have to go with Little Mac. There's been plenty of condensation of both the character and those who play him solely because of his play style. He's not overpowered and requires competence and patience to get around his big weaknesses. The latter three have had legitimate arguments regarding their viability.
In a game like Smash 4 where almost everyone has a pretty great recovery, Little Mac just doesn't stand a change. He can do lot's of damage on the ground, but it is way too easy to gimp him. I think he is mostly disliked though because of For Glory players who spam his moves without thinking. I don't think he is unviable, but I think he has reasons to be disliked.

I saw a good bit of hate for Olimar and Alph when the game first came out which I never understood, but after Apex 2015 that seems to have changed a good bit.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Of those on the list, Little Mac. He only gets flak because of the inexperienced For Glory players abusing him and Jolt Haymaker-ing to their doom. :p

:231:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Character who is my username and fearsome dealer of the famous combo D Throw U Air also known as Hoo Hah it's: :4diddy:

No, seriously.

:4darkpit::4mii::4drmario: can die in a fire btw. They are disliked for being super ****ing lame. And not for being too good for your casual ass to handle.

Come at me now. I don't give a ****.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I gotta say Dark Pit.
Not only is he seen competitively as redundant compared to Pit, a lot of people just overall don't like his clone status and give the character design all in all bad wrap. While he has a few people who swear by him, a lot of them are casuals, and I think most people see these players as "just kids who think Dark Pit is cool". ...Which... Okay, yeah, kinda. :'V

Straight up, I gotta say Little Mac has seen his good moments, and a lot of the bad players just make him look bad, not get people to dislike him, per se. He's a huge double-edged sword, so he fits a very particular playstyle that I just think most players don't have, so in reality, he's a hard character to master for that alone and I just don't think people particularly have had a real chance to realise that yet. He's very liked, just kind of in a bad place from what I tell.

Wii Fit has seen a lot of vitriol from their own players because of their difficult playstyle, but all in all I don't think they've seen as much flak compared to Dark Pit because they don't have the overarching "clone" symbol looming over them. -plus with the game being out for some time now, Wii Fit is getting some fairly decent players backing them - or atleast it seems so - whereas most Dark Pit players in my experience tend to jump straight to normal Pit for competitive play.

As for the Mii Fighters, a lot of people are calling for them to be allowed in scenarios where they're usually not, such as offline competitive - and while they generally have negative status, it seems like a lot of people genuinely want to get into using them or just straight-up enjoy having them in. It's just difficult to really do anything as them when they're banned from online, for starters, so I guess in that sense they're kinda seen as "for casuals".

Dark Pit. He is hated for "replacing" other characters even though we know the only character he could have replaced was alph.
yet lucina and doc magically are beloved when they are in the same boat :rolleyes:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Well, I'd say who's most "unfairly" disliked is a matter of opinion. I've seen hate mostly on the Mii Fighters, Dark Pit, and more recently, Little Mac and Diddy Kong. A little bit on Wii Fit Trainer, but mostly because that came from guys I know who don't like to play as her/him.

:4mii:
I'm a big fan of the Mii Fighters, so it's a bit depressing to see them get hate. You can make a case for banning them in competitive play, possibly, sure, but I don't think that should justify the hate they might get. Personally, I think it's fun to make your own characters and play around with them. Maybe that's where the Miis lose appeal with some people, I'm guessing.

:4darkpit:
Ever since Dark Pit got revealed, I've not seen the hate for him stop. Many say it would have made sense to bring Palutena from Kid Icarus and let that be it, and I get it, since Dark Pit is a more obscure character, but I personally actually kind of like his character, and I use him every now and then. More than Pit and Palutena combined, at least. My personal vote would probably be for this guy.

:4littlemac:
I don't see Little Mac get hated on as much anymore, with the advent of the "Hoo-hah"s dominating the irritation in competitive Smash players now. I haven't played against him very often, so I can't claim whether others who have trouble with him are bad or not, but after checking the Little Mac boards, most people say it's not as easy to effectively use him as people think. With a character that's this bipolar, I can see why.

:4diddy:
I've never played a competitive Diddy, so I'm not on the bandwagon. If everyone gets wrecked by him, it'd probably make sense to see people get mad, but I've seen lots of discussion surface saying that he's really not that bad, so, Diddy doesn't need the hate, I think.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I hate Dark Pit. Not even because he brings nothing new to the gameplay. I just think he looks stupid.

I hate Little Mac because I hate facing him. He's annoying in the hands of an amateur and even more annoying in the hands of someone who knows how to use him.

I hate Diddy because he looks stupid and he is nearly broken at high levels of play and really annoying in the hands of a casual player. He has an annoying face. His banana is annoying. Every time I trip on it my blood boils. His noises are annoying. He sticks his freaking ass out and whips you with his tail. Everything about him is just so IRRITATING. He's inherently trollish AND he's the best character in the game.

I hate Wii Fit trainer. She never should have been in the game. She's not a character really. Before smash that is. It felt like Sakurai was trolling us when he introduced her. Nobody wanted her in the game. Call me traditional but I like characters that just plain look cool. I also like characters that are cute or ridiculous. I just don't like stupid looking characters. Wii Fit trainer is boring in design and lacks personality. I would have liked any number of other characters in her place.

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
Little Mac by far. Any one who uses him is a terrible person, a scrub, and a tier ***** apparently even though he is one of the lesser characters in this game. Infact, according to the Eventhubs tier list, he is currently rank 43 out of 48. Ouch!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hate Diddy because he looks stupid and he is nearly broken at high levels of play and really annoying in the hands of a casual player. He has an annoying face. His banana is annoying. Every time I trip on it my blood boils. His noises are annoying. He sticks his freaking *** out and whips you with his tail. Everything about him is just so IRRITATING. He's inherently trollish AND he's the best character in the game.

Mii Fighters because "main a real character" is one of the most condescending things I've heard in the Smash community, they can't be used online except with registered friends, and they're banned at a lot of tournaments. You can use all 49 other characters in For Glory/For Fun and at tournament brackets, and you'll get more pleasant reactions from your main. I like being able to make and play Miis for my favorite cut characters, even if they're a cheap Happy Meal replacement.

Lucina because people ONLY think she's a weaker/noob version of Marth. She plays differently which appeals to a decent amount of people, and some play her for her character. Every Lucina main I've known has been told to stop playing a novice character and switch to Marth. I'm sick of seeing it anywhere Marth and/or Lucina are brought up. We even have a Lucina main on Colorado's PR and no Marths. I've dealt with this for years as a Roy main in Melee, but now people get hyped for me since he's been in low tier for so long. Go me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't know who I would pick, but I don't think any character deserves hate. Rosalina & Luma players are only OP because they know how to use her. I have only encountered one Little Mac Player, and he only won by circle camping, something a majority of the characters can do. Mega Man requires a more strategic use, but he can be mastered, and beat many characters without trouble. As for Duck Hunt, by now, the fans should see a retro character coming. Duck Hunt did not deserve half the hate he received. No matter how trolly his was in his game. Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario never "replaced" other characters for two reasons:
1: They were added late into the game, whereas the cut characters were most likely planned from the start.
2: The cut characters were probably cut early on, otherwise we would have found a character model.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hating on fictional characters and wasting negative energy on rants is one of the greatest flaws of this community.

Because words cannot begin to describe how petty and childish that is.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
None of those characters on that poll doesn't need all the unnecessary hate they've been getting, especially other characters like Diddy Kong, Lucina, Dr. Mario and even Duck Hunt.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't think any of these characters deserve hate.
This is exactly what i think big time.

:4darkpit:
Probably the most hated character added because of just being better as a pit costume back in brawl.
But the truth is because of dark pit becoming his own character and sacred treasures and him don't mix he got his own spot
But the truth is hes no different from the other clone characters from the past

:4littlemac:
Hes being pushed away because newbies can't resist him with his spam attacks
But the fans will laugh it up because we can beat him a newbies get the last laugh with stragegys against mac (example making them have to attack you from the air which mac is uber weak.)

:4mii:/:4miif:

For fans not juch complaints for the brawler
The sword/gunners are hated due to specials that all suck thus making them most likely almost the bottom tier
The truth is if you practice well enough you can master the 2 classes

:4wiifit:
Really i don't see any hate for her
The only thing i have is because peopl think it was a stupid idea to add her
But i liked it weird and obcure i love it when characters like this get in fighting games. (Anorher good example is pheonix weight in marvel vs capcom 3 special edition)

:4diddy:
Plain and simple
His hate is due to this

Meta knight was almost unbeatable in brawl by pros diddy kong takes his role in smash 4
But hes needs some pratice to pull that off and i can beat diddy kong people just fine. (Not all are newbies)

:4gaw:
No not hate im talking underrated type of hate

I think game and watch i better in smash 4 than brawl

(And no im not joking so point out problems all you want.)

Top Bottom