• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Optimal Hand Positioning

Jarlaxle

Smash Rookie
Trying to figure out the best position for my hands to increase my techskill to it's highest potential?
Ideally, I'd like to know if I can get away with using only my thumb for X, A, B, and the C stick w/ enough practice? Right now, it doesn't feel like I can go from short hopping to f-airing fast enough with just my thumb, unless I'm facing left. Also, I can't waveshine in this position at all. I'm not a Fox main though, so I don't think that matters.
My issue with placing my pointer finger on X, and leaving my thumb for A, B, and the C-stick, is that puts my middle finger on R. For wavedashing. And currently, my washdashing in that position sucks. A lot. Not to mention, after only three or four hours of playing like that, my hands start hurting. Is practicing in this position worth? Or am I just killing my hands?

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I main fox with my thumb reserved for the entire right side of the controller (this includes c stick and x, y, a, b, and start), and I believe i'm pretty technical compared to some foxes. I use my right middle finger for r, my right index finger for z (I don't use l), and my left hand for control stick/taunt. I main fox, so I often have no need to go from short hop>fair, but I used to main marth and I could short hop>fair just fine. I'll try it out with samus when I get home to see if it's any different.
Playing with your finger constantly on y will kill your hands. I know top players such as mew2king and leffen adjust their grip and will use their pointer finger to hit y during certain setups, such as upthrow>upair with fox. This might be the most optimal way to do it, if you really want to move your fingers to hit y.

Jarlaxle

Smash Rookie
Thanks. Also, I'm talking about short hop aerials with Sheik. I have to hit them as soon as I leave the ground, or I don't auto-cancel. And Marth, as well. But this isn't really an issue I have with Samus. Especially since I don't throw out a lot of aerials in neutral with her. And I don't need speed in my punish game. Just accuracy. Samus is super easy and fun. I'm hoping to switch mains to a higher tier, once I get good enough though. Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll keep practicing.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Thanks. Also, I'm talking about short hop aerials with Sheik. I have to hit them as soon as I leave the ground, or I don't auto-cancel. And Marth, as well. But this isn't really an issue I have with Samus. Especially since I don't throw out a lot of aerials in neutral with her. And I don't need speed in my punish game. Just accuracy. Samus is super easy and fun. I'm hoping to switch mains to a higher tier, once I get good enough though. Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll keep practicing.
Have you tried to do aerials with Z? Many buttons do the same thing, and after a while I've developped combinations for every option I want to use, depending on which side I'm facing. Maybe do the same, experiment a bit lol.

There is also the claw position that lets you use the x/y button and A at the same time, but it's hard getting used to it.

Jarlaxle

Smash Rookie
Aerials with Z!!! Ingenious!! I knew it was possible, but for some reason, I never even considered implementing it! Thank you!

Top Bottom