• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most "OP" Character

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
My friend would like to know, in yalls opinion if there was to be a "most OP character" in smash, who would it be? For example, my friend believes that King Dedede is the most OP character due to his strength, defense, and recovery ability. Let me know what you think.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
At the competitive level, Sheik is generally accepted as the most powerful character in the current meta. She is strong, absurdly fast, has great recovery, has an amazing projectile to force approaches, and has decent kill options. There is a reason the top two players at Evo both played Sheik (though ZeRo switched for the final match to please the crowd). I'm not sure I would exactly call her overpowered, since she is definitely beatable, but she has a significant advantage in most matchups.

Dedede, on the other hand, is generally considered one of the worst characters in the game. Thanks to his sluggishness and size, he is almost never safe, and can get combo'd extremely easily by fast characters (like Sheik, for instance). His Gordo also got severely nerfed, making it much less useful in matches between players who are skilled at shielding or reflecting the attack.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
tumblr_nrio8orrBy1sl58vfo1_400.jpg

Tell your friend to git gud, there's no "OP" character in this game. If Pac-Man and Wario can end up in the top 8 at EVO, I don't think there's a, quote and quote, "OP" character in this game.

I'll even go as far as to say that Sheik is the most balanced top tier you can find, as she still has weaknesses and is defeatable.

Seriously, just give up the word "Over Powered", it's just dumb.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No one in the game is "overpowered" whatsoever. Your friend just wants to make excuses for whatever dumb*** reason.

_gold_

Smash Master
It's clear your friends aren't thinking on a competitive level, if they think King DDD is the most OP fighter.
I don't want to make false assumptions, but if your friends are just casual gamers, there isn't really any single OP fighter. They're all fairly balanced in this game. Although, perhaps try Ness, Sheik, Fox, or Capt. Falcon. They're all pretty strong fighters which are easy to use, and still pack a punch.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Tell your friend that he/she has the absolutely right idea of who the most OP character is.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
No one is really "over powered". Every character can beat every character. But if we're going with straight up power its Ganon because he couldn't care less on percentage. Also Greninja at launch

Mimo

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm gonna assume your friend is losing to you while you are playing D3. Well, IMO OP is a term people use when a character or thing is better than them and they have no idea how to beat it. For example, many people cry OP Protoss in starcraft which has fairly decent balancing and stuff.

OP is mostly relative to who finds which character difficult and almost unbeatable. I sometimes say Little Mac is OP knowing full well his weaknesses, because I have troubles beating the character. I feel like at a non-competitive (casual) level, this character tends to be way OP due to the speed, strength, and decent heaviness of the character. Even though he lacks recovery, why would you need it when you never have to leave the ground due to map control?

All in all, there are no true OP characters. All characters are pretty much balanced, with some exceptions for UP characters.

But there are OP players. Zero shows us that every tourney.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Sheik is the best, but can still be beaten. While she has problems killing, her projectile, mobility, combo potential, edgeguarding, recovery, and frame data are just amazing.

As for King Dedede, I only see him as a low tier character and not OP because of his size, weight, low air speed, slow movement, and struggles against fast characters like Pikachu and Fox, and combo characters like Sheik and Luigi. I can tell that your friend is a causal player, no offends.

Raijinken

Smash Master
At the highest level, probably Sheik.

But the lower you go, the more you get into heavy hard-hitters like Dedede, Bowser, and Ganondorf. When those characters are easy to approach with and hard to avoid, they hurt HARD.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Mii Brawler's Helicopter Kick is the cause of much salt among my friend group. So is the Mii Gunner in general when I play it. Grenade Launch + Bomb Drop + Gunner Missile + FAir = high-sodium projectiles.

Any character with a counter causes salt when I play as them with my friends, either in Brawl or Smash 4.

People say Sonic is OP, too. He's 3 fast 5 them, I guess. Run speed too good?

I suspect my friends would cry OP about Roy, too. Mainly his amazing Forward Smash and my typical on-point use of counters. (I really don't have very good reflexes. My friends just tend to be predictable. They don't really get the concept of mix-ups, or that an empty jump can be a better idea than throwing a FAir as soon as you're in range.)

Edit: They've called Ganondorf OP before, too. Mainly because by that point it was one-on-one and I kept Flame Choking them and they kept rolling the same direction to get up. Flame Choke, run back a few steps, pivot and Flame Choke, run back a few steps, pivot and Flame Choke, repeat. Or alternatively, Flame Choke and Wizard's Foot the instant they start to roll backward.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Mii Brawler's Helicopter Kick is the cause of much salt among my friend group. So is the Mii Gunner in general when I play it. Grenade Launch + Bomb Drop + Gunner Missile + FAir = high-sodium projectiles.

Any character with a counter causes salt when I play as them with my friends, either in Brawl or Smash 4.

People say Sonic is OP, too. He's 3 fast 5 them, I guess. Run speed too good?

I suspect my friends would cry OP about Roy, too. Mainly his amazing Forward Smash and my typical on-point use of counters. (I really don't have very good reflexes. My friends just tend to be predictable. They don't really get the concept of mix-ups, or that an empty jump can be a better idea than throwing a FAir as soon as you're in range.)
Oh yeah, Roy's great against predictable players. Free kills with Flare Blade and Counter all day!

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
Nobody is OP. I don't know who the closest to OP would be, but I'm certain that they can be beaten.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Rosalina/Sonic/ZSS if i had to list some.

Rosalina & Sonic becausr they pretty much brake the game in terms of approaching...sonic because its near impossible to punish a very good one...

ZSS because shes just like sheik imo but alot more kill power.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
nobody's "OP" in this one really. I guess in terms of being annoying(which equals "OP" to some casual players) i'd say sonic because he forces you to play a completely different game where he sets the pace essentially. Dedede's crouch IS too good though.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Attention everyone. Zelda is obviously the most OP character. They made her so broken a few patches ago. Her up tilt now does ONE WHOLE MORE PERCENT!

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Attention everyone. Zelda is obviously the most OP character. They made her so broken a few patches ago. Her up tilt now does ONE WHOLE MORE PERCENT!
This is very correct, and this issue is very important.
It's time for this to stop.

Too many innocent people have fallen victim to the terrors of this character. Clearly, with all the rage she gets, this is a major problem in the development of the metagame.

This character has Dthrow into Uair combos, just like everyone else in the game, but as broken as she is, she has even MORE. The versatility that she brings is game-breaking, giving players little room to adapt to new, foreign playstyles. Players no longer feel comfortable holding the shield button given her sheer versatility, giving her a chance to use her Up B for kills as early as 40%. Clearly, someone who can kill an opponent so early while doing moves that are not easily accessible and known to players should not be deemed a fair character.

Other moves such as Din's Spam Fire and USmash are so broken, they deter opponents from playing their A game, increasing sodium levels by 69% while ending the match in both loss and embarrassment for the opponent. A character with such a psychological effect on players is too traumatizing to be considered legal, and is unhealthy for a growing scene of new players. If this character is allowed to continue being rampant, the community would surely shrink considerably due to the fear and detriment of facing her in a possible tournament match.

Finally, customs encourage players to test out new moves that characters can take advantage of. However, this character's most common set is the default 1111 set, indicating how she is a huge misfit in a growing custom move community. Viewers get upset seeing characters using their default moveset, showing a lack of creativity. In a 2-stock, 5 minute environment where the opponent can possibly be scarred and intimidated to fight her, she can easily time out the opponent, leaving viewers with a sour taste after watching 5 minutes of complete domination with no way of ending the matches early.

It's bad for the players. It's bad for the viewers. It's bad for the community.

Every day, For Glory becomes a more toxic place to be in, where this character is so rampant. People such as Mr. Patch have fallen victim to her brokenness, and nothing can seem to stop her.

Unless YOU can put this to an end.

Zelda is a character who will be detrimental to the growth of the community, and must be stopped by any means. By using the "BAN•ZELDA" tag, you are telling Nintendo and Sakurai that this broken character does not belong in this game. If everyone contributes to this cause, soon we can eliminate the plague that is Zelda from this game permanently, and rid of the rude and immature players that use her just to get cheap wins. Then, our community can finally grow and mature, with more diverse custom movesets and easy, accessible Dthrow -> Uair combos, and less timeouts.

With your support, together, we can end this treachery once and for all. Together, we can make this a fun, balanced and engaging game. Thank you.

#BanZeldaFromSm4sh2015

- :4diddy:

Use this tag to spread the word!

... :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Rhydon65

Smash Rookie
I'd say that Rosa-luma is the most OP. A lot of hits taken from her opponents just hit Luma, resulting in no damage to her. This is especially true when they just send Luma out to beat up their opponent, without creating any risk for Rosalina. And they both have a lot of priority in their attacks. In fact, a charged Luma shot can even beat out Charizard's Flare Blitz, and that's just crazy.

But I also agree with your friend, Texfone. Typically, when I encounter a Dedede player they just short hop and spam air attacks and none of my melee attacks can even touch them because of their range and power. I usually just end up bombing them with eggs, and that's just not fun.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'd say that Rosa-luma is the most OP. A lot of hits taken from her opponents just hit Luma, resulting in no damage to her. This is especially true when they just send Luma out to beat up their opponent, without creating any risk for Rosalina. And they both have a lot of priority in their attacks. In fact, a charged Luma shot can even beat out Charizard's Flare Blitz, and that's just crazy.
Not really. A Turnip can beat out Flare Blitz. ****ing SING can beat out Flare Blitz. In short, Flare Blitz isn't very good.

Top Bottom