• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most improved from Melee? Most nerfed?

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
This is just a poll/discussion to see what you guys think, through your own experiences, who the most improved or nerfed characters are in Brawl, compared to Melee.

For "most improved" I would have to nominate Zelda. She had a lot of ineffective moves in Melee but they made all of them at least somewhat useful in Brawl, and they didn't nerf any of her already good moves. Pikachu was improved alot, but then again he wasn't bad in Melee either. And if you count Toon Link and Young Link from Melee as the same character, then there's a huge improvement there.

I'm not sure who to say for most nerfed. Shiek seems like she's a lot weaker though.

ArmadonRK

Smash Rookie
Id agree Zelda is most improved in Brawl with Kirby pulling in a close second. As far as most nerfed, I haven't played enough to judge that, but I'd guess Marth :)

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Most buffed= Game and Watch
Most Nerfed = Peach

QFT!!!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For a few fighters, I have a clue as to what has happened.

*Link has been weakened a bit with that Gale Boomerang not doing damage after awhile.

*Yoshi has been improved and weakened at some spots. Yoshi's Egg Lay has less range than in Melee, making it less reliable. However, Yoshi's Egg Toss now gives him some additional air, which counts as a third jump.

*Kirby has improved a decent amount in Brawl. His midair speed is better, and most of his attacks no longer need sweet spots to be effective.

*Peach did lose her good midair jump, but her attacks still pack a punch (especially the n-air, f-air, u-tilt, and u-smash). She has been weakened a bit, but still quite good.

*Jigglypuff has been weakened big time after losing that strong Rest attack. It's still good with aerial attacks though.

*Mr. G&W has improved a bit too. His d-smash no longer has a strong impact at one spot. Also, after using Fire, Mr. G&W uses Parachute to descend slowly. It was Mr. G&W's n-air in Melee, but his n-air is now Tropical Fish. It strikes faster and can combo too.

*Falco has improved quite a lot since Melee. He can perform aerial combos, and a lot of his attacks can do considerable damage to foes. He falls slower than in Melee, and his Falco Phantasm seems to have a larger range.

*Ganondorf has been downgraded in speed and jumping, but his attacks are still quite powerful. Plus, Flame Choke can be abused quite a lot since it works like a grab attempt and that you can combo it with d-tilt.

Supax

Smash Apprentice
most buffed - Zelda, G&W, and TL (if you count him as young link from SSBM, I don't but some people do)
most nerved - Ganondorf, Peach, C Falcon, Falco

The Director

Smash Lord
I love how DK isn't even mentioned here, and he may be the best character in Brawl. In the top 3, atleast.

That's right. DK might be the best character in Brawl. Too bad nobody will ever know this because he's so dreadfully unpopular. Go ahead and play him for 5 minutes and then realize that he can kill pretty much any character at 80%.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
I love how DK isn't even mentioned here, and he may be the best character in Brawl. In the top 3, atleast.

That's right. DK might be the best character in Brawl. Too bad nobody will ever know this because he's so dreadfully unpopular. Go ahead and play him for 5 minutes and then realize that he can kill pretty much any character at 80%.
Agreed, I was surprised when I was messing around with DK.

I think Pika deserves a nod for improvement

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice

And while you ponder that watch yourself die because a small man in a mask or a little guy with flower people ***** you because you are slow. No offense. I just don't think he is that good. Though I really haven't played anyone good with him. So I could be completely entirely wrong.

Anyways. Zelda got deff buff! She has become so much better. And Kirby. Shiek got nerfed. Marth didn't though. I think he pretty much stayed the same. Peach probably got nerfed, but I don't like Peach anyways. XD

tshahi10

Smash Ace
For a few fighters, I

*Falco has improved quite a lot since Melee. He can perform aerial combos, and a lot of his attacks can do considerable damage to foes. He falls slower than in Melee, and his Falco Phantasm seems to have a larger range.

combo it with d-tilt.
WHAT???? did you even play melee to say that falco improved???

the buffed char is zelda
debiffed is falcon and ganondorf(and space animals)

xler

Smash Rookie
Either Bowser or Mr. Game and Watch are the most buffed. Bowser went from god awful to competitive. Mr. Game and Watch went from below average to awesome. <3 g+w

most nerfed is ganondorf IMO. I can't stand playing as him anymore, used to enjoy him a lot.

Smythe

Smash Rookie
Most buffed, I'd say Pikachu, especially when compared to the blanket-nerfs that rocked most of the cast. He's one of the few remaining characters that can reliably airjuggle with his uair, and his utilt is actually a viable combo instigator.

For most nerfed, I'd say my long time homie Falco. Without those pillar combos it's hard to look at him the same way. Furthermore, his Nair is punishable by virtually everything and his old sex kick was a key player in his edgegame.

Shiek and Cfal are in bummertown too. I don't think Shiek was nerfed intentionally, however. Her moveset is identical and she "feels" pretty close to melee, but without any hitstun she's like sword fighting with a water balloon. 8(

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
WARNING: Long post ahead. Forgive me if some of this is wrong, I'm going off the top of my head and I know some characters better than others.

Mario - F-smash and u-smash are buffed, pretty much the same aside from the loss of the tornado as a ground move. Still has issues with KOing.

DK - Pretty much the same, but the super armor frames help a bit. Still kinda slow, though.

Link - Range seems a tiny bit better, lost rapid-A combo, boomerang not as effective. Bombs got buffed, though. Up B recovery is little better. Clawshot is shorter than the Hookshot. :/

Samus - Some close range moves were nerfed and her projectile game got nerfed like CRAZY. F-air is scary good, though.

Bowser - Faster (a bit) and has a better side-B move. Power seems to be a little bit nerfed, though u-air is still a beastly killing move. Bowser bomb can function as anti-air now.

Yoshi - Egg Toss recovery is better than it looks. B-air is ridiculous. Range buffed but some moves were downgraded in terms of power. Eggs are slightly less flexible. Yoshi bomb hit on way up, too.

Peach - D-smash got NERFED TO HELL. U-air is usable now. Veggies not as useful since they disappear if blocked and are easy to catch. Second jump isn't even a jump. Still has amazing vertical killing prowess with u-air and u-smash. Side B has better range and is very useful now.

Luigi - Slower, f-air got nerfed. Has a lot of kill moves. N-air is buffed. Tornado and Luigiyuken are improved in terms of recovery. Luigiyuken combos out of jabs and kills at insanely low percentages.

Capt. Falcon - Slower, but still faster than most of the cast. Knee is harder to sweetspot. Falcon Punch can be turned around. side B is more useful for recovery since he doesn't stop if it hits someone.

Fox - Lost waveshine but picked up jump-cancelled shines that work almost the same way. Reflector is easy to spam and can be used to stall in mid-air. Blaster range is nerfed a bit. U-air and a-smash nerfed but are still powerful. B-air has no landing lag. Side-B lost some range.

Falco - Lots of moves changes. F-smash has some bad startup and lag but has excellent range. D-tilt nerfed. Side B spikes and has ridiculous range. Still jumps very high. Blaster can still be short-hopped. Reflector is a pseudo-projectile and can't be held out. Up B still sucks for recovery.

Zelda - Still slow but most moves have gained in speed, power and/or priority. Din's fire is probably best projectile in the game. Nayru's Love comes out fast. F-air and b-air kill at crazy low percentages when sweetspotted. F-tilt and u-tilt are excellent kill moves, f-smash and -u-smash do amazing damage. Overall, improved a LOT.

Sheik - Weaker, but still fairly quick. D-air is an auto-drop and harder to use due to lag and possiblity of SDing. Needles go downward whee thrown in the air. Has tether recovery. Up B can kill.

Kirby - Quicker in the air, moves are all improved in terms of range or power. Hard to kill due to new physics and his recovery. Hammer is more useful. Most moves don't require sweetspot to be effective anymore, like the aforementioned Hammer.

Jigglypuff - Pretty much the same aside from Stale Move Negation nerfing WoP aerials and Rest being nerfed a bit. Rest does do extra damage by putting a flower on your opponent's head. Slower on the ground, but still fast in the air.

Pikachu - Almost everything is better! He can chaingrab, Thunder is buffed, d-smash is nuts, f-smash is nuts, u-smash can be hyphen-cancelled... holy crap! :O

Marth - Mostly the same except neutral B is a stab and tipping is slightly harder. Side B is a LOT quicker, too.

Ice Climbers - Still a chaingrabbing monster, mostly the same as before. Projectile can be reflected by pretty much ANYTHING. Loss of wavedash means they have limited options for approaching. Up B can be used a tether recovery and Nana can grab the ledge if Popo is already grabbing it.

Ganondorf - U-smash is slightly different, side B is a grab, Warlock Punch can be turned around. U-tilt has vacuum effect. Otherwise, REALLY SLOW. Feels a lot slower and less mobile than in Melee.

G and W - Everything is pretty much better, though d-air is laggy even though it's pretty good compared to other auto-drop aerials.

Ness - Got some of his N64 power back. Aerials still rock. Has a high double jump still. Back throw is a monster. Still easily gimped during recovery. F-smash is a tad slower.

I would say most improved would either be Pikachu, Zelda or G&W, and most nerfed would be Sheik or Peach.

jmoney316

Smash Rookie
most improved? hmm.......i'd have to say zelda. she has really improved her game since melee. nerfed? i'd say jigglypuff

Top Bottom