• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most helpful advice?

Hunybear

Smash Ace
What is the BEST advice you've ever gotten when you started playing competitive melee or the advice that helped you improve the most? Who gave it too you.
For me it was to watch the other character instead of you own when you play.
I got it from some guy in Chattanooga because i asked him how his Marth was so much better than mine. It was my first year playing.
The Advice list

• Watch the other person play.
  • Don't get hit.
  • save your jump.
  • play more.
  • Do not auto pilot.
  • Study video's.
  • Patients. (you don't have to go there if you don't want too.
  • (Between stock) stop, breath are reflect.

Last edited:

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
watch videos, practice by yourself, get bodied but think about your mistakes e.t.c

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
This was back in early smash 4, but I was watching a guy do some funky stuff. He was burning shulks arts then immediately going to the next one. When I asked him why, he said you could remove endlag from attacks via this method. (Now known as Monado Art Landing Lag Cancel)

You'll be suprised of all the little tech that some people know. Ask them about it!

"You need to play more"

I recorded myself playing friendlies at my 1st tournament I went to. He was right

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
"You need to play more"

I recorded myself playing friendlies at my 1st tournament I went to. He was right
This really is the best advice possible. You can watch all of the videos you want, and study as hard as you can, but if you aren't playing the game and implementing these things yourself, you will not get any better.
You know what they say, "practice makes perfect"!

Last edited:

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
there's a lot of stuff that people can tell you. one of the things that stuck with me is something that ppmd said in one of his r/smashbros AMAs: ‘play your game, and learn the game from the beginning,’ and that's something that seems cryptic but i think it's very meaningful. i think it's something that you have to figure out yourself, though. you have to decide what that means to you.

a few things that i've thought about:
~ constantly work on movement. being able to move as fluidly as possible is a huge thing because worrying about your movement is the last thing you want to do in the middle of a tournament set.

~ don't autopilot. an essential part of melee is just putting in hard hours, but practicing intelligently in matches is also very important. you have to take a look at what works and what doesn't work and figure out how you can fix what isn't working. you can dd nair into a marth all day but if they're consistently stuffing you something's wrong. if you're serious about improvement try not to be lazy, even in friendlies. work out solutions to things that catch you. even when practicing it's good to have a routine of things to work on instead of lazily bashing a cpu around. kirbykaze had a list of movement drills that i feel are very helpful for beginners; anyone interested can google for them

~ watch videos not purely for entertainment but also to analyze them. mango's falco combos are awesome but before you want to be like him you have to figure out why he chooses the options he does and understand how he sets up his combos. figure out why he moves the way he does in a certain situation and how it seems to affect his opponent. taking some time to do this consciously has done tons to help me develop my game and i'd imagine it'd help many others

~ learn di, lol. actually read and watch any melee-related video you can if it's about something you're not 100% sure you know, something that you're not certain you could explain to a friend at a club meeting if given a solid 5-10 minutes.* i honestly think once you have a basic grasp of melee kadano's melee mechanics videos are a must-watch. smash practice and smash tutorials also have very solid videos.

~ pick a character that you think is fun but also one that's not terrible. a lot of melee is about having fun. if you really want to play a low-tier go ahead but i feel like quite a few low-tier mains complain about their character to the point where i don't understand how they enjoy the game. you signed up for this lol

~ there's a lot that you actually have to figure out yourself

tl;dr – don't be lazy; watch videos, both of gameplay and tutorials, and analyze them; pick a good character; practice intelligently

*provided they've actually played a super smash bros. title past 64, of course

Last edited:
the most helpful advice is, "Watch the other person play," or, watch the other character instead of your own.

you were given the right advice.

edit: although, "save your jump" is very good advice also.

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
One thing I started doing a few months ago is whenever I have a question I write it down ASAP so I never forget what I don't know. I have a list that I tackle one by one. I also made a list of everything I can't consistently do. Like Pivot smash and stuff

Highwata

Smash Rookie
For those of us that are short tempered, remembering that losing is ok and that it's just a game is some great advice. I can get really, really frustrated when I lose. The best way to deal with it is to walk away for a sec, maybe do some stretches, and come back to it refreshed. Being able to "shake off" the frustration can really help you play better!

goobaje

Smash Cadet
Take some time on the respawn platform. Relax, wipe your hands off, you have more time on there than you think. Just do a little mediation and get back into your game mode when you lose a stock. Helps me a ton

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Take some time on the respawn platform. Relax, wipe your hands off, you have more time on there than you think. Just do a little mediation and get back into your game mode when you lose a stock. Helps me a ton
OH **** dude! that's amazing advice! lol I do this but I really should tell people to as well.

goobaje

Smash Cadet
OH **** dude! that's amazing advice! lol I do this but I really should tell people to as well.
yeah dude like you prolly got a solid 10 seconds. i see a lot of players like close their eyes for a sec or take a drink

Hunybear

Smash Ace
yeah dude like you prolly got a solid 10 seconds. i see a lot of players like close their eyes for a sec or take a drink
lol yeah it gives you a while up there. Plus when your on the respond platform people like to do hand warmers and put themselves in bad positions while your up there so if you watch them closely and they stray too close you can use that 2 seconds of invincibility after getting off the platform to wreck some crap. ( if they have a finger flub it's over)
Great way to get your head strait mid match.

Pauer

The Pauerful
My favorite piece of advice on mindset:
From my experience and how top Melee players appear on stream cameras, I believe that you play your best when you are in a mindset with lots of love for the game (and life in general), curiosity and the top goal of playing your best and pushing the game to its limits. When I feel angry or disrespected, my main goal is to defeat the opponent, but I don’t have enough mental ressources to make wise decisions and play much more close-minded and repetitive, without actually perceiving my opponent.
I blatantly suck when I don’t feel love and curiosity. Sexual and loving actions deactivate your fear/hatred-braincycles and raise activity in love, cooperation and perceiving regions, and they are very effective at that.
I don’t think there is anything more effective, actually (but I’m always glad to be proven wrong).

I think the optimal strategy for me would be receiving passive anal intercourse. Prostate stimulation doesn’t make as tired as actual ejaculation and enjoying something together is always nicer than alone. This is certainly less practical, though.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
"Before I start all of this.. I got one thing to say..Once there was a great man named Gimpyfish who told me something..That Changed my life =). He said "u dont have to go to him if u dont want him". Which means is like when someone is camping u dont have to go to them all the time. JUST BE PATIENT!!! and keep ur spacing people!"

-Mango 2008

copke

I Just Got This Controller
NNID
copke46
3DS FC
1049-0983-0823
What is the BEST advice you've ever gotten when you started playing competitive melee or the advice that helped you improve the most? Who gave it too you.
For me it was to watch the other character instead of you own when you play.
I got it from some guy in Chattanooga because i asked him how his Marth was so much better than mine. It was my first year playing.
The Advice list

• Watch the other person play.
  • Don't get hit.
  • save your jump.
  • play more.
  • Do not auto pilot.
  • Study video's.
My best tip was wait & bait. I used to be a super aggressive Marth but now (when I actually play Marth) just wait them out and see what they're going to do.

Also, kudos to you for having Don't get hit. As my signature describes, that's my favourite and #1 motto.

Top Bottom