• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most disappointing and Controversial Roster yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booster

Smash Lord
It is no secret that the Super Smash Bros 4 roster has been controversial, due to some weird character choices, certain characters that had more demand then any other didn't get in, tons of clones, cuts and the fact that Dr. Mario returning makes no sense. For our weird characters we have Animal Crossing Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Dr. Mario (He's not new, but his inclusion is so odd I'm putting it here), Duck Hunt Dog (Not that I'm against it I've wanted him playable in a game for years but most hate him), Miis (My favorite but most disagree), pretty huge joke roster IMO.

The characters people ACTUALLY asked for didn't get in. No Mewtwo, K. Rool, Isacc or Ridley, Ridley doesn't even have a trophy in the 3DS version. Why exclude these Super Stars? Do you not want to make money Sakurai?

We got a clone trinity: Lucina/Marth, Dr. Mario/Mario and Dark Pit/Pit. We have clones from previous games: Falcondorf, Toon Link, Falco. That's alot of clones O.O

Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Ice Climbers got cut, except for Snake, everyone has gotten incredibly angry over these cuts, especially considering the Ice Climbers are a fan favorite and Lucas and Wolf could've been implemented easily since they're clones, plus their moves are custom moves for Ness and Fox anyway so why the **** not?

Dr. Mario returned. Need I say anymore? Apparently Sakurai's favorite Melee character was Mario in a Doctor Costume. I would've preferred anyone else in Doctor Mario's place, even Magikarp would've been more welcome.

So is this the most controversial roster yet? Absolutely, even Sakurai himself has been having to defend it and some people such as myself go as far as to say it's incomplete.

Is it disappointing? Honestly, I think it's pretty disappointing, the most disappointing roster since Playstation All Stars. But some people like this roster.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
I'd give it 73%.
The only characters I still need are Ridley/Mewtwo/IceClimbers anything else is gravy.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I honestly think the roster is pretty good.
Also, you should post this in the negative things about Smash 4 thread...your thread XD

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Literally everyone I wanted to get in, got in. I'm not disappointed in the slightest.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No, not really. Only really important character left behind was Mewtwo, at Gamefreak's decision. I can legitimately say Villager, Miis, Megaman, Shulk, *gen 6 rep*, Little Mac, *FEA rep(s)*, *KI rep(s)*(Palutena had a following since Brawl Pit's final smash reveal, mind you), Bowser Jr., and Rosalina all had more requests then the supposed "big three," and much further reaching appeal also. Wii Fit trainer is the joke character, basically created for people to troll roster haters with. Duck Hunt is the obligatory retro, and then Pac-Man is stinkin' Pac-Man and Namco was already working on the game.

AveryisAwesome

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kingytp546
No, not really. Only really important character left behind was Mewtwo, at Gamefreak's decision. I can legitimately say Villager, Miis, Megaman, Shulk, *gen 6 rep*, Little Mac, *FEA rep(s)*, *KI rep(s)*(Palutena had a following since Brawl Pit's final smash reveal, mind you), Bowser Jr., and Rosalina all had more requests then the supposed "big three," and much further reaching appeal also. Wii Fit trainer is the joke character, basically created for people to troll roster haters with. Duck Hunt is the obligatory retro, and then Pac-Man is stinkin' Pac-Man and Namco was already working on the game.
Wait.....Rosalina been heavily requested?

D

Deleted member

No Mewtwo, Isaac, K. Rool, or Ridley? Go complain about every other Smash Bros roster that doesn't have these 4 characters.
Hint: All of them

Last edited by a moderator:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
>Tons of clones
Not as much as Melee, tho.

And you can't even be mad about smash 4's clones. They were literally alt costumes made into characters late in development.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
I had a lengthy detailed opinion but, this is like the 1039th "roster is not everyone happy" thread isn't it, so what can really be said that wasn't already said to death.

Anyway I think this is the best roster in the history of fighting games.

Only because Capcom VS SNK 2 didn't have megaman.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
But but but but but but but GUISE

The roster is supposed to be AWFUL and the worst roster EVURRR because MY FAVORITE CHARACTER didn't get in! What? Yours did? U SUX u hooorrribull samurai worshiper!11!!one!

...okay, I couldn't type all that with a straight face, but did I get the gist of this topic? Can't wait for the DLC speculah

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I don't think it's disappointing we have little mac. mega man, bowser jr. and some more. but the controversial ya it is... for some reason

Last edited:

AveryisAwesome

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kingytp546
I had a lengthy detailed opinion but, this is like the 1039th "roster is not everyone happy" thread isn't it, so what can really be said that wasn't already said to death.

Anyway I think this is the best roster in the history of fighting games.

Only because Capcom VS SNK 2 didn't have megaman.
I wouldn't say best... but it's sorta like 3/10.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
isn't that every smash bros roster when they're first released. Look back at the character speculation in the brawl files and you'll see the same thing. However those complaints are about Lucas and Wolf.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Sakurai has said that the Pokemon in SSB are decided by GF. In the same interview I believe, Sakurai said he had a choice of several gen 6 'mons, and went with Greninja because he looked cool.
what would the other ones be, because when i see gen 6 pokemon only 4 of them i could see working in smash

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is the only character who's exclusion I'm genuinely annoyed with as despite his newfound relevancy he was snubbed for a character who Sakurai basically chose at random for the sake of having a new character. Other than that and the roster being slightly smaller than I envisioned (48 characters + 3 clones vs 53 characters + 1 clone), Smash 3DS/WiiU is easily the best roster in the series history.

I also got my number one requested newcomer (:4robinm::4robinf:) so I really can't complain.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There's nothing "disappointing" about the roster. As long as Rosalina, Lucina, Mega Man and Ike are in there, I really don't care.

I don't get the "controversial" part however.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I can legitimately say Villager, Miis, Megaman, Shulk, *gen 6 rep*, Little Mac, *FEA rep(s)*, *KI rep(s)*(Palutena had a following since Brawl Pit's final smash reveal, mind you), Bowser Jr., and Rosalina all had more requests then the supposed "big three," and much further reaching appeal also.
The only one you mentioned there that easily had more votes worldwide than the "big three" was Mega Man, with Little Mac and Palutena trailing behind. I'm pretty sure there's a thread around here that shows the numbers, but saying that a character like Villager (who I love, mind you) had more requests than the "big three", would be stretching it.

Anyway, this roster is fine. Not having Mewtwo when he's essentially at the peak of his popularity (a new movie, 2 new mega evolutions, and one of the most requested characters worldwide) kinda sucks, but I'll manage.
We got lots of great playstyles regardless, including a puppeteer (:rosalina:), a mech-fighter (:4bowserjr:), a stat. changer (:4shulk:), a super fighting robot (:4megaman:), completely customizable characters (:4palutena: / :4mii:), and Mega Man, just to name a few.

D

Deleted member

I don't think the roster was disappointing. In fact, I think that it's the best roster that we've seen. I'm pretty content with it since most of the veterans are back (including Sonic!), I'm only disappointed with one cut (Wolf), and I got some of my most wanted newcomers (Shulk, Robin, Little Mac, and Bowser Jr.) with some awesome newcomers in the mix as well (Mega Man, Villager, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt). I'm OK with the clones since they were merely bonuses rather than full fighters that took up a lot of time. That being said, I think that Dark Pit is still pretty lame.
I can only see the roster be disappointing for some if there was a lot of expectations around them with Ridley and the like.
The only disappointments that I have with it are, again, the lack of Wolf and I am a bit upset that Mewtwo didn't return and Donkey Kong didn't get a third character.

As for controversial, I don't think that it is. I can't complain with the newcomers since they do have a sense of deservingness on the roster, but Wii Fit Trainer is arguably the most controversial since there wasn't any sort of fan demand for her. (didn't Sakurai say that he added her on the basis of being unexpected?) I say that the additions to the roster were more surprising, but surprising in a good way since it makes the roster more diverse.

Overall, I think that, despite with a few complaints here and there, I think that this is the best Smash roster to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

AveryisAwesome

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kingytp546
I don't think the roster was disappointing. In fact, I think that it's the best roster that we've seen. I'm pretty content with it since most of the veterans are back, I'm only disappointed with one cut (Wolf), and I got some of my most wanted newcomers (Shulk, Robin, Little Mac, and Bowser Jr.) with some awesome newcomers in the mix as well (Mega Man, Villager, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt). I'm OK with the clones since they were merely bonuses rather than full fighters that took up a lot of time. That being said, I think that Dark Pit is still pretty lame.
I can only see the roster be disappointing for some if there was a lot of expectations around them with Ridley and the like.
The only disappointments that I have with it are, again, the lack of Wolf and I am a bit upset that Mewtwo didn't return and Donkey Kong didn't get a third character.

As for controversial, I don't think that it is. I can't complain with the newcomers since they do have a sense of deservingness on the roster, but Wii Fit Trainer is arguably the most controversial since there wasn't any sort of fan demand for her. (didn't Sakurai say that he added her on the basis of being unexpected?) I say that the additions to the roster were more surprising, but surprising in a good way since it makes the roster more diverse.

Overall, I think that, despite with a few complaints here and there, I think that this is the best Smash roster to date.
Ehh, Brawl roster was better.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I don't understand why people are always complaining.

There was a time when this...

:mario64::link64::pikachu64::kirby64:

...was kids arguing on a blacktop during recess.

Now, what tops Nintendo vs. Nintendo?

:4mario::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman:

THE ELITE FOUR OF GAMING DUKING IT OUT. This is HISTORY.

Would Ridley or Mewtwo be cool? Yes. However, the majority of characters bring something new to the table. There's only one character in the entire thing that disappoints, and it's not because of "making it in over a worthier character", it's just he isn't unique at all when he had plenty potential. (:4darkpit:). But, that's just my opinion.

With DLC likely, maybe we'll see some new stuff. But I do think that exclusions shouldn't overshadow the characters we do have. I'm not saying that supporters move on and deal with it, but don't ignore the other unique characters that the game has.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
We got :4megaman: :4pacman: :4robinm: :4shulk: and :rosalina: and people still complain that the roster is terrible. I would've kinda liked mewtwo but other than that, Dark Pit being to cloney, (I'm dissapointed that he has no differences with pit except for a final smash which he rips off from Zelda) and Hades not being in,(I would've LOVED if he got in. Like LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEED!) I still think this is by far the best roster smash has ever had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom